Old 08-18-2017, 08:04 AM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Heber City
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
We will still do it. Not definite it will be 2018, but this year we've done the TN River and we're going to do the Cumberland River very soon. We will be doing that in the boat we got for the Loop which is a Sunseeker Manhattan 65.

It's amazing how many people do the loop but never think of some of the rivers they can do. I believe arriving at Three Rivers will be a magical moment. The Ohio locks can get very crowded from what I know.

I agree with you completely about exploring the tributaries! Being from Pittsburgh originally, it has always been my goal to do the Ohio, and further up. As I started my research I've been amazed at the number of navigable rivers that are accessible, and how many major cities are on them. It obviously makes sense, as the river system was the original "highway" for trade.

I just read a blog post of someone taking the Black Warrior River to Birmingham! Amazing.

I'm curious ... your Sunseeker is quite a boat, and has a deeper draft than a lot of boats. Have you had any issues or worries because of that?

Humancell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:06 AM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Heber City
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Laker View Post
Scott,

The annual AGLCA Fall Rendezvous is being held at Joe Wheeler State Park in Rogersville, AL, October 16-19, 2017. You can come without a boat as a wanabe looper. It is already sold out, but there is a waiting list. There is also an annual Spring Rendezvous held in Norfolk, VA.

I'm not sure I'll make the October event ... but maybe the Spring event in Norfolk. Sounds like I ought to be investigating now!

Humancell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:31 AM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humancell View Post

I'm curious ... your Sunseeker is quite a boat, and has a deeper draft than a lot of boats. Have you had any issues or worries because of that?
Our draft is 5' and it's presented no issues to us. The air draft was something we had to make modifications on, however, as standard with a factory hardtop is 22' or so, but we're at 21' with the electronics mast up and under 19' with it lowered.

These are all navigable waterways and used by much larger vessels. We couldn't take the Erie all the way west but took the Oswego. I know of boats up to 85' that have gone down the Oswego and Erie. On the Great Lakes you have many larger boats. Size may eliminate a few marinas but there's another near that isn't a problem. Even the TN river is maintained for commercial shipping, as is the TN Tom.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote