Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-08-2017, 04:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member
 
Gumbalaya's Avatar
 
City: Solothurn
Country: Switzerland
Vessel Name: Renaming in preparation
Vessel Model: Inter-Leja Eurobanker 38'
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 72
Newbie from Switzerland

Ahoy trawlings, excited to learn (mostly) and share (slowly) as I'm fairly new to boating and brand new to trawlers.

Fell in love with the water ways here (220n.m. along largest domestic river Aare with three connected Swiss lakes).

Major crush on my 1978 Taiwanese Chin HWA 34' two cabin trawler.
Just picked her up last week and I can't wait for learning, applying, enjoying, making mistakes and fixing, going through the motions, etc.

Looking forward to the interaction, thanks in advance in supporting this life long journey.
__________________
Advertisement

Gumbalaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 04:51 PM   #2
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 8,656
Welcome and congratulations on the new boat.
__________________

__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 06:43 PM   #3
Master and Commander
 
markpierce's Avatar
 
City: Vallejo CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 12,012
Congratulations! ... Not aware that a boat can leave Switzerland by water unless it is capable of transiting a waterfall. So, are you landlocked or am I uninformed?

(I enjoy visiting/transiting Switzerland, usually by train, but restaurant meals cost two to three times as much as in adjacent countries!)
__________________
Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 06:58 PM   #4
Guru
 
hfoster's Avatar
 
City: Cleveland
Country: USA
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 574
Welcome. I am sure you will enjoy you vessel.


Cheers.


H
hfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:56 PM   #5
Guru
 
alormaria's Avatar
 
City: Trenton
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,238
Welcome! Need pictures!
__________________
Al Johnson
34' Marine Trader
"Angelina"
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:25 PM   #6
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Country: Bumpkin?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 14,492
Greetings,
Welcome aboard and late happy Swiss National Day (Aug 1st) wishes.
__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:19 PM   #7
Guru
 
Steve's Avatar
 
City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,882
Welcome! looking at your screen name I see "Gumbo Jambalaya" do you have a Louisiana connection? When I was working I often stopped in Geneva on trips to and from Africa, I always thought Lake Geneva would be a great place for boating.
__________________
Steve W.
https://mvgumbo.blogspot.com/
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:23 AM   #8
Veteran Member
 
Gumbalaya's Avatar
 
City: Solothurn
Country: Switzerland
Vessel Name: Renaming in preparation
Vessel Model: Inter-Leja Eurobanker 38'
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Congratulations! ... Not aware that a boat can leave Switzerland by water unless it is capable of transiting a waterfall. So, are you landlocked or am I uninformed?

(I enjoy visiting/transiting Switzerland, usually by train, but restaurant meals cost two to three times as much as in adjacent countries!)
Thanks.
For now the accessible rivers and lakes are plenty to learn and enjoy.
In a year or two I'll tow it 50mi up North into the Rhine that connects to the open seas.
Gumbalaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:31 AM   #9
Veteran Member
 
Gumbalaya's Avatar
 
City: Solothurn
Country: Switzerland
Vessel Name: Renaming in preparation
Vessel Model: Inter-Leja Eurobanker 38'
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Welcome! looking at your screen name I see "Gumbo Jambalaya" do you have a Louisiana connection? When I was working I often stopped in Geneva on trips to and from Africa, I always thought Lake Geneva would be a great place for boating.
Thanks Steve.
I lived and worked in the Southern U.S. for 5 years and fell in love with Louisiana cuisine.
Also lived 30min away from Lake Lemàn (Lake Geneva) for 7 years but only enjoyed it canoeing (way too expensive to own a boat and more importantly, a mooring there).
You are right: very beautiful area indeed.
Gumbalaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:32 AM   #10
Veteran Member
 
Gumbalaya's Avatar
 
City: Solothurn
Country: Switzerland
Vessel Name: Renaming in preparation
Vessel Model: Inter-Leja Eurobanker 38'
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Welcome aboard and late happy Swiss National Day (Aug 1st) wishes.
Thanks, celebrated it on the water
Gumbalaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:33 AM   #11
Veteran Member
 
Gumbalaya's Avatar
 
City: Solothurn
Country: Switzerland
Vessel Name: Renaming in preparation
Vessel Model: Inter-Leja Eurobanker 38'
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Welcome and congratulations on the new boat.
Thanks a bunch
Gumbalaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:35 AM   #12
Veteran Member
 
Gumbalaya's Avatar
 
City: Solothurn
Country: Switzerland
Vessel Name: Renaming in preparation
Vessel Model: Inter-Leja Eurobanker 38'
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfoster View Post
Welcome. I am sure you will enjoy you vessel.


Cheers.


H
Thanks, already am
Gumbalaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:12 AM   #13
Guru
 
City: Canaveral
Country: USA
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,841
I noticed the "Vessel Name: Renaming in preparation" in your signature.

First thing to learn about boats is that this is a very risky and dangerous procedure. It must be carried out with the correct ceremony in order to appease the Swiss God of the Lake, who is Neptune's little brother.
makobuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:35 AM   #14
Veteran Member
 
Gumbalaya's Avatar
 
City: Solothurn
Country: Switzerland
Vessel Name: Renaming in preparation
Vessel Model: Inter-Leja Eurobanker 38'
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
I noticed the "Vessel Name: Renaming in preparation" in your signature.

First thing to learn about boats is that this is a very risky and dangerous procedure. It must be carried out with the correct ceremony in order to appease the Swiss God of the Lake, who is Neptune's little brother.
I am aware, hence the comprehensive planning.
Gumbalaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:53 AM   #15
Veteran Member
 
Gumbalaya's Avatar
 
City: Solothurn
Country: Switzerland
Vessel Name: Renaming in preparation
Vessel Model: Inter-Leja Eurobanker 38'
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by alormaria View Post
Welcome! Need pictures!
Hope this works...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2418.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	67501   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2183.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	67502   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2193.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	67503   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2192.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	67504   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2195.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	67505  

Gumbalaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:02 AM   #16
Guru
 
hfoster's Avatar
 
City: Cleveland
Country: USA
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 574
Nice photos of your vessel Mate. Thank you for sharing them. Enjoy!


Cheers.


H
hfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:27 AM   #17
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 32
The Swiss have link to the Sea, from the ports of Basle commercial vessels get to Rotterdam within 3 days. I used to work in Switzerland, you will see many recreational trawlers on lake of Neuchatel, of Constance, I have seen a GB50.
This vessel is for sale in Neuchatel marina.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	67511  
Mike.p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:38 AM   #18
Veteran Member
 
Gumbalaya's Avatar
 
City: Solothurn
Country: Switzerland
Vessel Name: Renaming in preparation
Vessel Model: Inter-Leja Eurobanker 38'
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.p View Post
The Swiss have link to the Sea, from the ports of Basle commercial vessels get to Rotterdam within 3 days. I used to work in Switzerland, you will see many recreational trawlers on lake of Neuchatel, of Constance, I have seen a GB50.
This vessel is for sale in Neuchatel marina.
Hi Mike,

Basel is at the Rhine, they are fine and this is where I need to go when I want to make the trip up to the North-sea.

From the lake system Neuchatel, Biel, Murten we have to take the Aare river (where my trawler is located) East but cannot go all the way into the Rhine (although this is where the Aare goes towards lake Konstanz). We have small bridges and a weit East of Solothurn which blocks the access to the Rhine.

But again: 50mi towing is not a big deal for a special and long trip.
Gumbalaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:47 AM   #19
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbalaya View Post
Hi Mike,

Basel is at the Rhine, they are fine and this is where I need to go when I want to make the trip up to the North-sea.

From the lake system Neuchatel, Biel, Murten we have to take the Aare river (where my trawler is located) East but cannot go all the way into the Rhine (although this is where the Aare goes towards lake Konstanz). We have small bridges and a weit East of Solothurn which blocks the access to the Rhine.

But again: 50mi towing is not a big deal for a special and long trip.
Hi G.
Sure 50mi is not that much. I remember there were serious plans to connect Lake of Geneva over Lake of Neuchâtel and River Aare to River Rhine, any news about that ?
Mike.p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:08 PM   #20
Veteran Member
 
Gumbalaya's Avatar
 
City: Solothurn
Country: Switzerland
Vessel Name: Renaming in preparation
Vessel Model: Inter-Leja Eurobanker 38'
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.p View Post
Hi G.
Sure 50mi is not that much. I remember there were serious plans to connect Lake of Geneva over Lake of Neuchâtel and River Aare to River Rhine, any news about that ?
They gave up on it - German - French.

Aare river and the connected lakes already flow into the Rhine but they'd have built 14 locks. The financing and ecological concerns tanked the project.

The even bigger project would have connected Lake Geneva with the Lake Neuchatel and the Mediterranean on top of it but here as well: similar concerns.
__________________

Gumbalaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×