Old 08-07-2021, 04:23 PM   #21
Guru

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
In the interest of friendly debate, I don't think that headroom should drive the consideration of boat type or size for the OP. I lived on boats through most of my twenties and at 6'4" had full headroom in none of them.
And I should add that at almost 60 now my posture is very good and my height robust. No back probs ever.
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 09:50 PM   #22
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Interesting... I'm glad you Jeff F were able to successfully manage in less than ideal situation re headroom. And you're absolutely correct that what we can deal with in out twenties is far different than what I would accept past the half century mark. Heck, I wouldn't even go back to how Seaweed was when I purchased her. I have definitely become spoiled...

As for the OP, you are quite correct Jeff F. They are young. Youth can and will do well. I had missed the age part of their post. Thank you for pointing that out. J.
Old 08-09-2021, 05:51 AM   #23
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
The sailing YouTube channel Project Atticus highlighted a broke couple who fixed up a 40 year old sailboat. Between YouTube and Patreon, they are now well funded. Earlier this year, a few months of their new-boat search (spoiler alert; Pacific Seacraft 40 at around $250k - not bad for a couple kids who started with $2k) was highlighted on their YouTube channel, albeit sailboat focused. The husband is well over 6 foot tall and discusses height matters frequently. Also, because they edit videos, they need workstations for PCs. Might be worthwhile for the OP to watch a few of those boat purchase episodes. Pay special attention to engine access for a tall guy.

Only other advice I can offer is don't overthink this. Many cruising dreams have been exhausted before launch due to over-prep - "gotta have xxxx widget before we can go" sort of thing (the list is endless - there I always a reason to delay departure). Pick a reasonable "pencils down" date and just go with whatever you have when the day arrives.

Peter
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 12:59 PM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Bristol, RI
I think this is all too much trouble and expense for just a year of cruising. Broker commissions for boats are 10% that will cut your sales proceeds. I would plan on 3 years of cruising (e.g. owning the boat 4-5 years). I guarantee you'll decide to go to the Bahamas. You'll also make a lot of cruising friends and want to see them the next year. Do think about whether you can afford to take 3-6 months away from the boat each year. It makes it easier. Perhaps a ski house. Or a small condo back in your home town that you rent while you're cruising.

As others have pointed out Maine has a short season. Don't arrive earlier than July 15. Earlier than that the fog can be so thick that you can't see Maine. I was just there last week and wearing a winter hat.

For your wife, your timing is perfect. Within a year - at most 2 - Elon Musk's Starlink Internet will be stable and usable for cruising. It will give you unlimited home cable speeds for about the cost of home cable monthly cost everywhere you plan to cruise. Including underway.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 01:07 PM   #25

City: St. Louis, MO
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
Maybe its me that has it backwards, and maybe I am just old fashioned, and for sure it is none of my business, but maybe the quality of your life would be better if you and your wife both worked and put off your adventure until you could better afford it.
We left to go full time cruising when we had not enough money or experience. We added both as we traveled. We cruised full time for six years and now looking back on it I am unbelievably grateful we went when we did rather than waiting till we had “enough”. We got to see the Abacos before they were destroyed by Dorian and meet some of the most fantastic people. If we had waited we would have been caught by Covid and not had the opportunities we had. If you can make it happen with an acceptable amount of compromise and/or discomfort, go for it. No one can say what that level is but you since everyone is different. It’s worth it I promise you. We sold the sailboat and are now in the process of buying a trawler so we can go back out again.
Kintala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 01:25 PM   #26
Veteran Member

City: Aurora
Vessel Name: Calypso
Vessel Model: Heritage East 36
Solar panels can help a lot with not running the generator. My husband and I lived aboard on our sailboat in the Caribbean and solar panels worked really well for us. We ran the generator about once a week. We changed out our refrigeration so that it would work with solar panels. We were very happy with it - could even keep ice cream cold.
As to learning, take some engine courses for boat mechanics, take some Power Squadron classes for boat handling and Rules of the Road, and talk to people to learn. Best of luck to you.
Bellakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 02:38 PM   #27
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
Get a vasectomy! You'll thank me 10-15 years from now.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 04:54 PM   #28

City: Port Richey
Vessel Name: Olive Oyl
Vessel Model: Scout 30, Caribiana 23
[QUOTE=Maybefoolish;1026989]Hello All,

I'm 24 and infatuated with the idea of living aboard and cruising the east coast from Maine down to Florida. However, my height and need for space as I'll be traveling with my fiancée have led me down the path of trawlers.

Infatuation is rarely the basis for a successful relationship and can fade as quickly as it begins.
Carl Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 05:20 PM   #29

City: Hoboken
Thanks for all the helpful comments. We're looking into USCGaux courses, as well as power squadron lessons.

Our big next step we want to do is try it out as suggested by chartering or renting. Does anyone have recommendations or tips for how to find this type of thing for trawlers? We have easy access to Brooklyn, so that opens up the grounds a bit.
Maybefoolish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 05:31 PM   #30
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Rental / charters that come to mind are not it NYC area AFAIK.
Trawler Ones I'm aware of include FL (Fort Meyers Gulf Coast area). Seattle / Anacortes
Not trawler but a chance to experience cruising in an absolutely beautiful area... LeBoat on the Rideau Canal in Canada. That actually might be an easier start w/o more training and a stepping stone to gaining experience and building a resume for Trawler chartering next.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 05:42 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Rental / charters that come to mind are not it NYC area AFAIK.
Trawler Ones I'm aware of include FL (Fort Meyers Gulf Coast area). Seattle / Anacortes
Not trawler but a chance to experience cruising in an absolutely beautiful area... LeBoat on the Rideau Canal in Canada. That actually might be an easier start w/o more training and a stepping stone to gaining experience and building a resume for Trawler chartering next.
Thanks! I'm sure we'll make it to Florida in due time. That place is magnetic for some reason.
Old 08-09-2021, 06:03 PM   #32
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
My plan never materialized...
We had sport cruisers for many years and enjoyed cruising. Though a reasonable plan would be to charter in the San Juan Is to experience boating a distant area and to see how a trawler fir our style.
Finally got interested enough to look at a few and found a 34 Mainship layout seem to match our musts, wants & dont wants very well. Found a little used fresh water boat and jumped at the chance never having chartered one.
No regrets but having our lists clear helped provide confidence we had it right.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 07:23 PM   #33

City: Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina
Vessel Name: Miss Dot Dee
Vessel Model: 1980 29' Prairie Trawler
If you have never owned a boat I would defiantly charter one first and see what you like about the lifestyle and don't. If you have a captained charter the captain can show you how to run a larger vessel and pick his brain about all subjects from maint to repairs to operations.
1980 Prairie 29 Hull #50
https://missdotdee.net
sailormike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 08:58 PM   #34

City: All over
Vessel Name: Chapter II
Vessel Model: 1972 42 foot Alloy Mfg
You have quite a few options at 80-90k. I know this is a trawler forum and I am a trawler fan owning 2 currently but Honestly at those prices and for a reasonably quick flip without much loss if any. I’d prob be looking at a smaller sport fishing boat. A post 42 or hatteras 42-45 are well within your price range will easily have the headroom your looking for, queen bed, full shower you can stand up in and adequate range. When pulled back to 8kts will drink similar fuel. One with older Detroit diesel non turbo motors will be reliable with high tbo and great starter engine for learning diesel engines. All will come with the generator you are needing, finding one with a nice bow pulpit with electric winch and anchor setup shouldn’t be too hard. And maybe finding one with a deck crane if you are staying at anchor much and want a nice skiff. And there is not much in the americas they wouldn’t be capable of going and doing. You will see both of them regularly in all parts of the east coast, the Caribbean, Bahamas, south past Panama, up the west coast and almost all on there own bottom, there are prob more sport fishing boats making that same trip per year chasing tuna and marlin than trawlers.
Jmarsh203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 06:40 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmarsh203 View Post
You have quite a few options at 80-90k. I know this is a trawler forum and I am a trawler fan owning 2 currently but Honestly at those prices and for a reasonably quick flip without much loss if any. I’d prob be looking at a smaller sport fishing boat. A post 42 or hatteras 42-45 are well within your price range will easily have the headroom your looking for, queen bed, full shower you can stand up in and adequate range. When pulled back to 8kts will drink similar fuel. One with older Detroit diesel non turbo motors will be reliable with high tbo and great starter engine for learning diesel engines. All will come with the generator you are needing, finding one with a nice bow pulpit with electric winch and anchor setup shouldn’t be too hard. And maybe finding one with a deck crane if you are staying at anchor much and want a nice skiff. And there is not much in the americas they wouldn’t be capable of going and doing. You will see both of them regularly in all parts of the east coast, the Caribbean, Bahamas, south past Panama, up the west coast and almost all on there own bottom, there are prob more sport fishing boats making that same trip per year chasing tuna and marlin than trawlers.
I am absolutely looking at smaller sport fishers. Having extra speed on hand with additional seaworthiness is something I would like.
Old 08-10-2021, 06:40 AM   #36

City: Potts Harbor ME
Vessel Name: Third Reef
Vessel Model: 36' Grand Banks Heritage Classic
May be foolish...

Hi Maybefoolish, I find it quite refreshing for you and your soon to be bride to have this dream early in your life together. Congratulations! Most of us of your parents generation dragged our feet in some cases until it was almost too late. Go for it, you'll do fine and have fun.
We live on the Maine coast and it is safe and spectacular. Hone some boat handling and piloting skills through the American Boating Club as others have advised. You will love the Maine coast and recognize the lifetime of cruising possibilities here, you may never leave. We are available anytime for cruising advice on Maine coast cruising via phone, email, text.
Our experience with height being short, is that we fit well in our 36' Grand Banks, however have had folks of your height try it, no joy. But we have seen our friend (6'6" ) in their Nordic Tug and they fit very well. I would recommend an older 32 or 37 Nordic Tug. These are an excellent vessel. Roomy with enough separation for a working young couple when needed. Is being a flying bridge too give you another nice area to operate and live in.
Best of luck. Contact me if you have any questions about cruising in Maine

Mike Dana
Third Reef
36' Grand Banks Classic
Potts Harbor (Casco Bay)Maine
207-833-5080 (H)
207-720-0531 (C)
mbdana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 06:44 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbdana View Post
Hi Maybefoolish, I find it quite refreshing for you and your soon to be bride to have this dream early in your life together. Congratulations! Most of us of your parents generation dragged our feet in some cases until it was almost too late. Go for it, you'll do fine and have fun.
We live on the Maine coast and it is safe and spectacular. Hone some boat handling and piloting skills through the American Boating Club as others have advised. You will love the Maine coast and recognize the lifetime of cruising possibilities here, you may never leave. We are available anytime for cruising advice on Maine coast cruising via phone, email, text.
Our experience with height being short, is that we fit well in our 36' Grand Banks, however have had folks of your height try it, no joy. But we have seen our friend (6'6" ) in their Nordic Tug and they fit very well. I would recommend an older 32 or 37 Nordic Tug. These are an excellent vessel. Roomy with enough separation for a working young couple when needed. Is being a flying bridge too give you another nice area to operate and live in.
Best of luck. Contact me if you have any questions about cruising in Maine

Mike Dana
Third Reef
36' Grand Banks Classic
Potts Harbor (Casco Bay)Maine
207-833-5080 (H)
207-720-0531 (C)

Thanks! I can tell just from looking at it they maine has a lot of cruising. It's part of the reason I think this trip will be more than a year. I'll get on contact with you closer to the trip for advice and recommendations.
Old 08-10-2021, 03:19 PM   #38

City: Baltimore
Vessel Model: DeFever 43
Welcome

I am a bit late to the discussion. However I would like to toss in that I am on a 1979 DeFever 43 trawler with a cabin height of 78 inches, even in the galley. So definitely put these on your list to look at. I wish I would’ve gone cruising like your planning at 24. Enjoy.
Jelliott is offline   Reply With Quote