New boater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sally Rae

We just purchased a 1979 Hershine 37'
Anyone have one? We are getting a survey done next week before final
purchase
Amy advice?

Welcome aboard. Spend some time before the actual survey and poke your nose into every compartment and see what it looks like. Make notes and ask the surveyor to look at the things that look odd to you. Ask questions of the surveyor, this is a good time to learn about the boat. Good luck!

What Dave said, except I would add, Use the Boat!, run it hard, use every system. Before and after the survey.

pete

Attached is a checklist that might help you organize your thoughts.

I like the Hershine 37 - almost bought one about 30-years ago. 20-years ago, I met a couple in Baja who were headed to the Caribbean in one. Nice liveaboard for a couple.

I assume you are in the purchase process - if you have not done a sea trial yet, make sure the engine is run-up to wide-open-throttle (WOT) for at least 5-mins. The owner should provide the captain to run the boat (often the broker). Fuel tanks are always a possible issue on an older boat, especially one with teak decks They can be difficult (impossible?) to inspect, but ask your surveyor to make extra efforts. Thinking about it, a boroscope (remote camera) might be able to be wedged over the engine room insulation to view top of tanks.

Peter
View attachment SeaSkills Sea Trial Template.pdf

Back
Top Bottom