Liveaboard Must Have's for a Family with Small Children (or pets)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello! Sailing and boating enthusiasts here!

My husband and I plan on taking a few years sabattical to do the America's Loop with our two young daughters. They will be about 2 and 3 when we set out on our adventure. We plan on being livaboards for about a year in Florida before starting so we are willing to spend a little more (up to around $250K) on something that doesnt require too much work, as we both work full-time and we are no stranger to how difficult boat work is, especially with small kids.

That being said, we have started the hunt for some boats that fit what we are looking for, which we could go on and on about specs and such.

The main advice I am looking for is if anyone has lived aboard with small children (or pets) and what boat features are make or break items. I can do my best to "baby-proof" by adding nets, but were there and features that made having small children or pets even more difficult or easy? Im thinking stairs vs ladders, tunk vs sedan vs sundeck features that are good/bad for rambunctious kids, lower level/separate kitchens etc? Anything I am not thinking of?

Any advice here would be good as we are new to the motorboat lifestyle as we have only previously sailed.

as you probably already know, sundeck boats are more difficult to get on and off of for pets, but they are larger interior volume for given length

Our boat works very well with little kids, even though that was the furthest thing from our minds when we bought it. Bought it in 2015, then two years later we got the wild idea to adopt. They were 7 and 9 when we got them. They're very handy for engine work in a tight engine bay. Seriously though:

Stairs, no ladders, for us and them, and the dog. A ton of seating around the upper helm, just to lounge, and so we can separate for some peace and sanity. And we've had some great family talks up there, coffee and OJ in the mornings. The boys get the bow cabin, we get the master, so two berths. Galley/dining table that seats all of us, and enough space on the aft deck to also seat four, or even six (but that gets snug). Good solid high bow railings all around, especially for little kids. And yes, I hate tv's but on miserable days, they're helpful. Our large electrical panel is overhead, above the salon stairs, so that helped keep it out of reach of little kids. Our boys can operate it themselves now, but certainly not as little kids.

The one thing that's not good, that I don't like, is that I can't see the swim step while I'm at the helm. Kids or adults, I've never liked that I can't see the swim step. We rarely ever have anyone on the swim step underway because it's dangerous, but once in a while it can't be avoided. One time my wife was guiding me very slowly while we were backing into a very tight mooring field, calling out mooring balls. She didn't answer my call immediately and I just knew she fell off and the props were chopping her to pieces. She was just concentrating so didnt answer, but I really don't like anybody down there underway, even dead slow. Need a cam someday.

Tons of storage for piles and piles of kid stuff. Big salon couch (setee) for lounging, or for fold out/separate sleeping when they get on each other's nerves. Or lately, when they have overnight friends. Decent sized shower (we have two) so a parent can hose off a messy kid, beach sand, etc. We also have a wash down hose on the swim step when weather allows, even better for hosing down kids. Kids are incredibly resilient and adaptable. Our boys had never set foot on a boat, couldn't swim, and sank like a rock the first time we put them in the water, and now they're ace boat kids. Including that engine work where I don't fit. Resized_20230819_160832.jpg

Welcome aboard

There is actually a youtube channel that has a complete episode about things they need on board and things they wanted differently. Just search for 'the boomerschines' and you will get there take on this one. Think they had 3 kids and 1 dog on their boat.
https://www.youtube.com/c/TheBoomershines/videos

Another channel is this one, also a family plus animals, they have multiple videos where also the wife explains what she would have done differently and what is important to her. Obviously the guy only speaks about the technical issues.:)
https://www.youtube.com/@WanderingKnapps/videos

The main advice I am looking for is if anyone has lived aboard with small children (or pets) and what boat features are make or break items. I can do my best to "baby-proof" by adding nets, but were there and features that made having small children or pets even more difficult or easy? Im thinking stairs vs ladders, tunk vs sedan vs sundeck features that are good/bad for rambunctious kids, lower level/separate kitchens etc? Anything I am not thinking of?

Good idea to solve some of this during your "shopping" phase.

We had big dogs. Stairs instead of ladders, both to flybridge (if you have one) and into saloon. Swim platform, with a transom door direct to a cockpit -- i.e., not a sundeck model or aft cabin motor yacht, although a cockpit motor yacht could work.

Plus a dinghy "system" to take dogs to shore when we were anchored. The "system" isn't just about the dinghy, but also includes how you'll carry it, how you deploy and recover, etc.

-Chris

...Plus a dinghy "system" to take dogs to shore when we were anchored. The "system" isn't just about the dinghy, but also includes how you'll carry it, how you deploy and recover, etc.

-Chris

Yep, that too. We snug our dinghy hard against the transom (well, edge of the swim step) so our hound and humans can easily step in when we're loading, and the heights of the two are almost perfect (inflatable dinghy). Even so, one of my next projects is a very simple derrick system off the aft deck roof, both to raise the dinghy when the big boat is underway, and hold it more firmly against the swim step when loading.

Wow, that is amazing kthoennes! Congratulaions on the family and having such cool engine mechanics ;)

My husband and I definitely laugh about how we cant wait to have tiny hands to help out with certain jobs LOL.

That being said, your Mainship 37 has a lot of things we are looking for. I will have to add it to the list! Another one we are looking at is a Heritage East 36. Its a sundeck which gives protected space, but poor walk around ability. I haven't decided if this style is more pro or con for us, less netting to put up or for them to fall off from but poor docking capability.

Thanks ranger58sb, staris definitely feel like a must because we will need to move around the boat while holding littles, and definitely will need to think about ease of use when for getting the dingy deplayed and stowed.

I'm guessing our requirements as full time cruisers may be somewhat different
Zero marinas, no children and a cat that never leaves the boat.

We moved aboard just after our daughter turned two-years old. The biggest concern we had as liveaboards was the two wooden staircases that led from the main deck to the cabins below. She had been walking since she was 9-months old and was pretty sure footed, but the forward stairs (which are curved, and what I always described as a staircase/ladder) are rather steep. We actually blocked that staircase initially.

Her cabin was all the way forward, with a beam-to-beam engine room and a full beam mid-ship cabin in between that and our aft cabin. For probably the first year she slept on the settee in our cabin. Until she really wanted to be a "big girl" and sleep in her own room.

So we emphasized - A LOT - being super careful and SLOWING DOWN when going up or down the stairs. In the beginning, one of us went either before her or behind her going down or up respectively. As well, we also continuously reiterated the mantra we had aboard our sailboat: one hand for you, one for the boat.

She is now 13, and has fallen twice on the stairs. Both times it was just the last 2 or 3 treads. I think she was 5 the first time (which surprised all of us) and 10 the second time. That one was less of a surprise as she was chasing the cat... Lesson learned, though!

The point is we established expectations early on, and reinforced caution often. It wasn't always easy on us, though. I think I would hold my breath when she first started traversing the stairs by herself as a 4-yr old. Be also wanted her to feel trusted and have confidence.

Oh, and both my wife and I have slipped on the stairs a couple of times, too! :blush:

Last edited:
Twice I missed the last step and landed on my butt. Now I count the steps as I go down the spiral. 9 steps and I'm at the bottom.

I'm waiting for the day when I forget I removed a floor hatch and go crashing down into the engine bay.

When we moved into our current house there are 5 steps between the deck levels and no handrail. The first thing I did was add a handrail on one side. My wife is very clumsy, always has been. She fell, of course she wasn’t using the handrail. It only took 3.5 years and 5 surgeries later before she could use one arm. Included was 4 months when she didn’t have a shoulder joint.. The deck was all brown but now we have stripes of bright blue along the front edge so she will notice the edge of the steps.

Take a look at the Heritage East 36. It has steps instead of ladders, has a down galley, two cabins, two heads, a salon, a flybridge and a sun deck. We take our 80 lb German shepherd with us, so getting her one and off is probably similar to getting young kids on and off. We have two different ramps we use - one longer folding one and one shorter one. We can get off through the side boarding gate (midship) or off the aft swim platform, depending on the situation. There are two ladder steps from the swim platform followed by two molded steps to get to the sundeck. We replaced the ladder steps with a platform step to make it easy for our dog to board from the swim platform. It's worked well for us.

I'm waiting for the day when I forget I removed a floor hatch and go crashing down into the engine bay.

LOL I did that. Thankfully I had my arms spread so harm no foul, just a bit embarrassing

We slather him with lots of sunscreen to lube him up and he squeezes in feet first. Good thing he's still skinny as a toothpick. Once he gets down there there's an acre of space between the engine and the hull, but getting in there is almost impossible. We love our boat and overall Mainship did a great job in design, but getting to the outboard side of the port engine is nearly impossible. My fat head barely fits through there let alone head and arms. Fuel filter, alternator, plugs and plug wires, fuel lines - work on any of that port side requires a trained spider monkey or a skinny kid.

Starboard side isn't like that, the salon stairs come out and you can raise another floor panel. Not easy but you can get to it eventually.

Kthoennes, That would suggest you need to enlarge the access hatch. A one time expense.

I would really advise against doing the Loop with small kids. There are very few children on boats doing the loop (older crowd) and the short time spent at each stop makes it hard to meet any friends. Unless you are lucky enough to buddy boat with another boat with similar age kids, it will be lonely and boring for the kids.

The Bahamas is a much better choice with kids.

Air conditioning.
If you have a pet (in our case, a cat) that will need to be left in the locked boat from time to time while you are ashore, air conditioning is essential.

Thanks Moonfish! Our first will be a little over 3 and our youngest will be about 1.5 years old. We will definitely emphasize going slow and one hand for you, one hand for the boat. The many sets of stairs everywhere will be the biggest concern for sure.

Childproof your 120v receptacles like on a home. On my previous boat my toddler niece would love to toddle into the pilothouse flip circuit breakers. A plexiglass cover was soon added!

We did the loop a few years ago with a 7yo kid and a 3yo Jack Russell Terrier. We did it in a 1973 Grand Banks Classic. The flybridge with all the seating was great for lounging around together while underway. The 360deg flush deck was great for the kid and the dog. Very safe, no steps, high and secure railing and all around access. Easy to do lines, fish, fly kites, etc. The dog even had enough room to run around the entire boat for exercise. We trained the dog to go in a big plastic tray with astro turf that we attached a line to with some grommets. This allowed for easy cleaning. We put MOB sensors on all critters on board. Had very clear rules for moving from one area of the boat to another so that nobody could go overboard without someone finding out. Having a kid on board makes changing impellers in tight places a lot easier. Just make sure the engine is cool when you send them in. Child proofing a boat is impossible so you will just have to use the lifeguard system of having someone always be "On" and handing off responsibility to the other parent when it's their turn to watch the kids. This was not needed with my daughter as she was 7 but with 2 and 3 year olds I would treat it like being at a pool with kids that can't swim. If the kids can't swim yet, Florida has tons of excellent kid swimming programs and we start them at 6 months down here. If you are thinking of Miami I would highly recommend Ocaquatics . For entertainment of the screen variety we took a mac mini chock full of movies for us and the kid as our daughter does not have any personal devices.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom