Web Cams-A key mental health tool for all.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BandB

Guru
Wifey B: I remember when web cams first hit. Primary use was sexual conversations and showing of bodies. Nothing wrong with that. I like naked bodies. However, things have changed and much over the years, but especially during the pandemic. :ermm:

Hubby showed me an article on truck drivers and mental illness afflicting them over the last two years and the hit on them when they were unable to socialize on the road, unable to sit and talk in restaurants. Suddenly, the loneliness of their jobs became overwhelming. Well, there are a lot of lonely people impacted and one test I saw showed that overall the pandemic quickly increased anxiety and depression by 31% and trauma and stress related disorders by 26% and substance abuse by 13% and consideration of suicide by 10% and that was in June 2020 vs. June 2019. I can only imagine later. :eek:

Get on cam with your grandchildren and your children. When away, cam with your spouse. Talk to friends you haven't seen in months or years on cam. It's an incredible tool. I remember when my niece, Aurora, was born, the thought of not seeing her a while. Well, we left when she was 2 weeks old and a week later her mom held the poor baby in front of the screen and we talked to her. I know it meant much more to us than her, but it became part of her life and all these 8 years we've never gone more than a week without talking to her in person or on cam. During the pandemic, she and all her friends used it. I know so many grandparents who have not fallen victim to "I never see my grandkids because they live so far away" but instead cam with grandkids all the time. They might on phone tell you about their new dress or basketball shoes or trophy, but on cam they can show and you can share. :)

If you haven't used cams, computer or at least phone versions of video chat, it's time to break through the barrier. It can enhance your life. It can make your world smaller. It can bring people closer. It can reduce loneliness. It can be a wonderful tool. :D:D

Just think of the G parents a generation ago that were SO glad to talk live with those 1,000s of miles away
Or
Those several generations ago that were elated to read a letter from those far away!
I dont think they were any less gratified

Just think of the G parents a generation ago that were SO glad to talk live with those 1,000s of miles away
Or
Those several generations ago that were elated to read a letter from those far away!
I dont think they were any less gratified

Wifey B: No but letters and calls were less frequent and calls far more expensive plus there is something special about actually seeing each other. :)

Kids are all very familiar with Facetime, Zoom, etc. these days. And they're usually more than happy to teach Gramma and Grampa how to use them.

Each generation has its own needs and wants....gross generalization, but I think its generally true.

Being at sea/deployed a lot of my life I get it, but then I dont need video. A voice and my minds eye picturing that person is good enough most of the time. And seeing those important to me ( just a handful) 2X a year does the trick.

Unless my 2 boys and close family and friends all lived closer together, seeing everyone more than 2X a year is tough.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom