They Have Got To Be Kidding!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
Chatting with my son this evening. He has a dead battery in his 2017 Ford Escape. He told me he has it booked in to get it replaced on Thursday.

"You are paying the dealer to do it? Just go buy one and put it in yourself. It ain't that hard!" Says dad.

"Uh dad, it is quite complicated and I would rather they did it."

So I went to trusted ol' YouTube. I mean how hard could it be!

Wow! Just WOW!

Newer cars are a pain. But, he could have done it with the video.

My first car was a 56' Chev, 6 cylinder. I used to sit in the engine compartment to change the spark plugs.

Year later my Dad had a new front wheel drive Chev (forget the model) that had to have the engine dropped to reach the back three plugs in a transverse 6 cylinder.

No Ford Escape in my future. A former member was telling me about the required procedures to initialize a new battery in his BMW, ridiculous.

I guess jump starting a Ford Escape is out of the question without some tools and the video.

Ted

I had one of those Ford Escapes, and yes the battery was buried up underneath the windshield. Most stupid design I’ve ever seen - worse than trying to get a battery on a boat. I could not even get to it to jump it if I had to do so. There was so much stuff to have to dismantle just to get at it. I got rid of that car and went back with the Subaru Forester.

At least the BMW battery initialization is just software, not an actual nightmare to do. But some cars are a real pain door certain simple items.

Had a VW Passat, you had to remove the plenum chamber grille and some other parts to get it out.

Recently had replaced(home visit by road service organization) my Peugeot 508 AGM batt,they wired a substitute battery for power so settings etc were maintained. Like life support while the heart is replaced.

Had a VW Passat, you had to remove the plenum chamber grille and some other parts to get it out.

Recently had replaced(home visit by road service organization) my Peugeot 508 AGM batt,they wired a substitute battery for power so settings etc were maintained. Like life support while the heart is replaced.
That's been pretty common (in better service shops) for many years to save the programmed stations in electronic radios. Basically plugging a small battery in the cigarette lighter will provide enough power to save the memory.

Ted

I was thinking about this last night. How does anyone top up the battery in these things. Then I realized they must be AGM.

I have a Volvo S60. When it came time to replace the battery, I bought a new one and set about the project of changing it. Um...first challenge was to FIND the battery! Had to RTFM!!! It is under the bottom of the trunk. Well, duh!

I believe it was a Chevy Monza that required dropping the engine to do a plug change.

Both my daughters took auto shop in high school. I thought it would be a good idea. About the only technical thing they were taught the whole semester was how to change a tire, check tire pressure, check the oil, they may have changed a bulb. During a parent-teacher conference I asked the teacher about this, and pointed out that in my HS auto shop we rebuilt engines. He laughed and explained that those days are long gone. Not only are newer cars unservicable by the backyard mechanic, but liability concerns prevent schools from teaching anything that might have safety implications. It's unfortunate, but I guess that's the world we live in now.

In another thread on whether the market for larger recreational trawlers and cruisers would survive long term, I mentioned that my biggest concern isn't the market or economics -- it's the decline in general mechanical resourcefulness of future generations. Yes, lots of systems are far more complex now, and the days when I replaced the heads in my 1974 Nova SS are long gone, but I think there's a sharp decline in average mechanical ability lately. I try to nudge my sons (10, 12) into learning basic mechanics all the time and doing tasks and projects with me but they have very little patience or interest.

The air conditioning was getting warm in my Cadillac Escalade a few weeks ago, so I figured it needed a recharge. I took it to Carl Titze's auto shop here in Sioux Falls, a nondescript place behind a trucker's restaurant on the north end of town. I only found out about his shop through word of mouth from the janitor in my office building. Now of course everything on an Escalade is $9,000 to repair, but Carl opened the hood, took a broomstick, pressed against the A/C condenser and it blew cold again. He removed one washer about as big as a dime and re-tightened it, worked great. Charged me $20. That's what's disappearing (and Carl may have never set foot on a boat in his life but he's the kind of guy I'd want on my boat).

I understand. I traded in my 2012 Ram 1500 so I would have to change the battery!

Okay, just kidding! But I still did have the original battery and was going to change it before I got a sweet deal on a new Ram 1500.

That was actually an excellent youtube video on changing the Escape's battery. I can understand you son's decision, though, especially if it was time for some other service, like maybe an oil change.

Youtube videos are great. I don't know how many times I have taken my tablet down to the garage to help me replace or add something to one of our vehicles or toys! :thumb:

Jim

Just did the same yesterday to replace the window regulator and motor on my 2003 Silverado. The most diificult part of the job was getting the door panel off. It came off with a lot of upward tugging.
I understand. I traded in my 2012 Ram 1500 so I would have to change the battery!

Okay, just kidding! But I still did have the original battery and was going to change it before I got a sweet deal on a new Ram 1500.

That was actually an excellent youtube video on changing the Escape's battery. I can understand you son's decision, though, especially if it was time for some other service, like maybe an oil change.

Youtube videos are great. I don't know how many times I have taken my tablet down to the garage to help me replace or add something to one of our vehicles or toys! :thumb:

Jim

Chatting with my son this evening. He has a dead battery in his 2017 Ford Escape. He told me he has it booked in to get it replaced on Thursday.

"You are paying the dealer to do it? Just go buy one and put it in yourself. It ain't that hard!" Says dad.

"Uh dad, it is quite complicated and I would rather they did it."

So I went to trusted ol' YouTube. I mean how hard could it be!

Wow! Just WOW!

I once had a vehicle (and I don't remember which one) that I drove to an auto parts store that does replace batteries, but they said they couldn't do it at risk of losing all electronics and having to get the car then towed to the dealer to even restart it. Was one of only a couple of brands they couldn't do.

Having never changed a battery and with no plans to ever change one, I was surprised.

I still look at the Ford Escape situation with some shock, except, as he was removing items to get to the battery, I realized they all required more frequent service. I'm surprised more vehicles haven't gone the Nascar route of putting batteries behind panels such as the rear quarter panel. Scott's Volvo is a bit like that in nature and I wouldn't be surprised to see more like that.

My car has the battery inside the trunk. The first problem though is with no power how do you get in the trunk. There is no keyhole. Well, none outside. Actually underneath the rear driver side seat.

[

Once you get the trunk open then very accessible and a great location.

Now the rear engine sports cars have it conveniently located under the front trunk and very easy to access. I would think it would make more sense for a car like the Escape to go to a rear location.

I once had a vehicle (and I don't remember which one) that I drove to an auto parts store that does replace batteries, but they said they couldn't do it at risk of losing all electronics and having to get the car then towed to the dealer to even restart it. Was one of only a couple of brands they couldn't do.

Having never changed a battery and with no plans to ever change one, I was surprised.

I still look at the Ford Escape situation with some shock, except, as he was removing items to get to the battery, I realized they all required more frequent service. I'm surprised more vehicles haven't gone the Nascar route of putting batteries behind panels such as the rear quarter panel. Scott's Volvo is a bit like that in nature and I wouldn't be surprised to see more like that.

My car has the battery inside the trunk. The first problem though is with no power how do you get in the trunk. There is no keyhole. Well, none outside. Actually underneath the rear driver side seat.

[

Once you get the trunk open then very accessible and a great location.

Now the rear engine sports cars have it conveniently located under the front trunk and very easy to access. I would think it would make more sense for a car like the Escape to go to a rear location.

My XJ8 had it in the trunk. First time I realized that was when I drove up to jump start a child's car!

Just finished helping a gal pal's son change out the U joints on a jeep Cherokee (it's what guys are supposed to do). He is environmental science degree. Only tool he owns is a smart phone, which can help.

But it won't pound the needle bearing cups out of axles. He learned a lot, did well. Because I spend winters in Baja, I ask him "how would a Mexican do this?" Which was pretty much how we hammered through the job, high-fived completion with my home brew.

I invite any of you to drop by and help figure out why my C6 Corvette computer car throws codes and goes limp mode. Car has more wires & grounds than mechanical parts! Drive by wire cars/boats can be tough to diagnose.

Just finished helping a gal pal's son change out the U joints on a jeep Cherokee (it's what guys are supposed to do). He is environmental science degree. .

Wifey B: What? Omg what total BS. What guys are supposed to do so somehow he is inferior? Or because girls can't? Also total crap. Where do you guys come up with these things? :mad::mad::mad: :nonono::nonono::nonono:

Praises to him with his environmental science degree. That we need more of. :D

You really didn't think I'd let this just pass by without comment did you?

:rofl:

I invite any of you to drop by and help figure out why my C6 Corvette computer car throws codes and goes limp mode. Car has more wires & grounds than mechanical parts! Drive by wire cars/boats can be tough to diagnose.

No tough if you have the right equipment.

No tough if you have the right equipment.

One of my better investments was getting a VAG-COM cable (VW Auto Group) and
the diagnostic software on a laptop. That allows me to connect to our two VW made
vehicles and read codes and make some adjustments.
My mechanic even has me bring it in with me when he needs to do certain service to
the cars.

One of my better investments was getting a VAG-COM cable (VW Auto Group) and
the diagnostic software on a laptop. That allows me to connect to our two VW made
vehicles and read codes and make some adjustments.
My mechanic even has me bring it in with me when he needs to do certain service to
the cars.

Good for you, smart thinking. Didn't VW nearly go broke because a CARB guy discovered how VW re=programmed their diesels to beat emissions.

Good for you, smart thinking. Didn't VW nearly go broke because a CARB guy discovered how VW re=programmed their diesels to beat emissions.
Not exactly sure of what point you could be making but I did own a 'dieselgate' AUDI. Great car and a rare case of driving a car for 3 years essentially for free. VW is still going strong.
One daughter still drives a 2002 VW TDI (diesel). Also a great car.

Last edited:

At no point did VW nearly go broke although there was a time some of us including my wife who drives a Porsche wouldn't have been bothered if they had. They deserved all the fines and more, but none of it put their ability to continue in business in jeopardy.

BB
Broke was halfway in jest. Only $25B in fines. Combined with top executives getting axed, civil and criminal charges filed. They were busted by CARB engineers in 2015 in quite an innovative sleuthing endeavor.

Side story, I was trying to purchase an Audi Q7 TDI in September 2015 but to no avail. The dealer knew at that time what was occurring with their diesel skulduggery. He was literally crying as orders were going unfulfilled and customers bolting.

I was thinking about this last night. How does anyone top up the battery in these things. Then I realized they must be AGM.
I think some with high demand loads are AGM, and some are SLA. The Pug battery lasted 7 years, not bad.
OCD,The "life support batt" seemed more than cig lighter support. The fitter was careful to attach a boxed car battery they carry, to the same connections the battery being replaced used, before disconnecting it. It costs, but our Road Service "Club" has battery replacement trucks( s well as the usual roadside help vehicles) with (hopefully)trained fitters to come and sell/fit a new battery.

Must be a Ford thing..... My van batteries are under the (10 way adjustable heated) driver's seat. Fun and games.

Yes, a life support battery is a good thing.

Yes you can work on modern cars, it's just different than 40 years ago.

I replaced the tranny with a rebuilt on my Wife's Denali. (Saved $1500) This required flashing of TCU and ECU. The company that sent me the rebuilt tranny charged me $125 to send me a "box" that plugged into the OBDII port, 12V, 120V and I had to log it onto my WIFI internet. Made an appointment for the next morning at 10. 10 sharp the phone rang and the voice said..... "OK turn on the ignition. I see it. Go have some coffee, I'll call you". For 20 minutes the car sat there and lights flashed, short horn beeps and what have you then it got quiet. He called back and had me start it. "Any lights?" "Nope". "OK, you're good to go...." Sent them back the box with pre-paid shipping label. Smooth operation!

Like I said it can be done. Just different.

BB
Broke was halfway in jest. Only $25B in fines. Combined with top executives getting axed, civil and criminal charges filed. They were busted by CARB engineers in 2015 in quite an innovative sleuthing endeavor.

Side story, I was trying to purchase an Audi Q7 TDI in September 2015 but to no avail. The dealer knew at that time what was occurring with their diesel skulduggery. He was literally crying as orders were going unfulfilled and customers bolting.

Actually the whole VW emissions programming was discovered by accident. A group of university students were doing a study on emissions under real road conditions. Their test car was a VW diesel. The were having problems calibrating their equipment. It would work when the car was stationary but then it would go out of calibration when they car started moving. They asked the CARB engineers to help them figure out what was wrong with their equipment. After 3 months of being unable to find anything wrong with the test equipment they realized it was the car. It then took another year to discover that VW actually programmed the behavior into the car.

A friend has a car that he has to pull a tire/wheel off and an inner fender well to change the battery. That's a pia
My son is a mechanic and owns a pretty big repair shop. There are several models where he lifts the car, lowers the engine to change spark plugs and other components.
Just nuts for sure.

Back
Top Bottom