Small World

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

syjos

Guru
Commercial Member
Vessel Name
Sandpiper
Vessel Make
Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
I was at a Caffeine and Gasoline car event at Griots Garage in Tacoma, WA this morning.

Guy comes up and asks who my car belonged to.

His hat had the Pau Hana logo, which I recognized from his TF Avatar.

We both own Kappas, Paul a Sky and mine a Solstice. Pontiac Solstice and the Saturn Sky were built on Kappa platforms. Identical cars except for the body.

I go to Griot Garages car show every month, which is a huge event with hundreds of performance cars, and rarely see another Kappa. Pau's is only the third one there in over 5 years.

We had a great time talking about our cars and examining each other's mods. I don't think we talked about boats at all.

The yellow one is Pau's and mine is the red one,

Attachments

• 20220305_102510.jpg
    20220305_102510.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 20220305_102458.jpg
    20220305_102458.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 20220305_102452.jpg
    20220305_102452.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 48
Pretty cars. But shouldn’t trawler people own big slow cars?

Pretty cars. But shouldn’t trawler people own big slow cars?

Thanks, and

After cruising loooong hours, days, weeks at 8 knots, sometimes a lot less against current, my adrenaline needs a release by driving around in a go-cart.

Accused a lot of buying it during midlife crisis. What the heck is that and when is midlife?

The car also forces me to keep fit so I can contort my body in and out of it.

My old Coupe de-Ville was a barge. Does that count?

Any old car, especially, pre 80's are very popular.

My friend and I drooled all over a restored Coupeville De-Ville a few months back. It had a custom interior, custom suspension with disc brakes all around and a GM LS crate motor. Supposedly handled like a muscle car, with 4 doors!

It attracted a crowd, especially when he revved it up!

@syvjos, that’s nothing…

My Coupe weighed 6,000lbs, half of it was rust, had a 500ci motor that sipped fuel at 8mpg, and was so “smart” it would start itself up without the key in the ignition!

It was possessed by the evil spirits! [emoji48]

There are a LOT of these In Michigan now that spring has sprung they are all coming out of garages I probably saw 3 of them driving back and forth to the marina over the weekend.

Lots of go slow boaters drive fast cars or motorcycles. My boat goes 6 1/2 knots, my car, allegedly 160 mph. I can confirm it goes 155 :)

There are a LOT of these In Michigan now that spring has sprung they are all coming out of garages I probably saw 3 of them driving back and forth to the marina over the weekend.

Lots of go slow boaters drive fast cars or motorcycles. My boat goes 6 1/2 knots, my car, allegedly 160 mph. I can confirm it goes 155 :)

Many Solstice/Sky owners in that area. They seem knowledgeable about the auto industry and are retired from or working in it.

Yes, the car nuts in snow and freeze areas only drive the cars 5 to 6 months per year and winterize their cars.

Here in the PNW, it rarely snows or freezes for long so most of us drive year around as long as it's not raining. So maybe 3 to 6 times per month, it rains often.

It's too expensive to go fast in a boat and it's not very comfortable at speed compared to a fast modern car. Plus what's fast for a non-racing pleasure boat? 70, 100 mph? SUV's can go 100 mph.

Last edited:
Wifey B: Maybe if they had built more of those, they'd still be around. :D

Wifey B: Maybe if they had built more of those, they'd still be around. :D

Very true. The Solstice was only sold for 4 1/2 years until the death of Pontiac. The G8 was another popular Pontiac hot rod. Pontiac was making a comeback towards the end, especially with Bob Lutz at GM being a fan of the brand.

GM was forced to reduce the number of brands during restructuring and Pontiac, Saturn, Hummer, Saab, Opel and a few others had to go.

Back
Top Bottom