Question For You Bourbon Drinkers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your experience is the same as mine. Jefferson's Ocean is the finest "neat" drinking Bourbon I have yet tasted. Scary good! It may ruin me for more affordable Bourbons, however the fact that I am cheap at heart is saving me from myself. :blush:

At the suggestion of a good friend, That SOB ASD, I picked up a bottle of this. Not bad at all. Now you guys come up with another one to try. Oh well, gotta taste all the good stuff while I can, Bourbon or Whiskey down in Mexico is rare.
Cheers!

Attachments

• 9200901C-30D4-4148-8669-DCB1BCF5ADED.jpg
    9200901C-30D4-4148-8669-DCB1BCF5ADED.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 45
I was also lucky to get a very special bottle of Jefferson's Ocean, Batch #1

Have struck out all year at our local suppliers for this bottle, wifey went through a lot of work and managed to find one for a nice present yesterday, whoo!

Attachments

• Blanton.JPG
    Blanton.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 44
After years of exhaustive research I've settled on:

Straight/rocks: Elijah Craig 12 year ~$25
Cocktails (Manhattan): Rittenhouse Rye ~$25
Fancy, neat: Booker's ~$80

I've had more expensive stuff but nothing that I felt was really worth the premium. I like the peppery rye in cocktails, though the Elijah Craig does well in an old fashioned as well.

Best Manhattan = 2oz Rittenhouse + 1oz Carpano Antigua + bitters + orange peel

I call it "Whiskey". I don't think I make enough money to call it "Bourbon". :)

Old Weller Antique 107. Very smooth for for a 107 proof. Hard to getweller_107_r_0.jpeg

The race to the bottom is won!

"Some call it Whiskey, some don't" - actually Ad line

"Why Buy Kentucky Dale?
It’s cheap. It’s cheaper than any “real” whiskey. It’s cheap because it is only 20% whiskey and 80% grain neutral spirits. Kentucky Dale can corrupt Dr. Pepper into tasting like cough medicine. It’s tough stuff.

$5.99 a fifth

Attachments

• Kentucky-Dale-Bottle-by-Erik-Bergs.jpg
    Kentucky-Dale-Bottle-by-Erik-Bergs.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 31
Due to the COVID I bought a handle of Ezra Brooks 90 single barrel. It's 20 bucks a handle. Thought it would be terrible but it was for the hunting club meeting. Dang good for a lower shelf bourbon. It's my go-to now. Real glass bottle, cork stopper, and good taste.

What's that got to do with COVID? I agree, nothing wrong with Ezra.

I've always felt that any bourbon is good bourbon, and some are better than others. However. I had some Hudson River Baby Bourbon that I found to be undrinkable. It wasn't cheap, but I gave it away.
Knob Creek or Woodford Reserve are my usual go to's.

HUDSON RIVER?? I had to google that one. Now I grew up in Connecticut so I'm a New England kid, and I've sailed the Hudson many times, and I even worked for Dad's marine construction company under the Hudson River for two years of my life until my fingers got all pruny and I accidentally drank more raw Hudson water than I ever should have -- but no. New York corn or not, that's not bourbon.

I've become fond of rye whiskey.

I'm fond of the whiskey, bourbon, and Irish. Not so much with Scots whiskey except maybe Highland Park.

I'm fond of the whiskey, bourbon, and Irish. Not so much with Scots whiskey except maybe Highland Park.

There are lots of good whiskeys and bourbons. No right or wrong. Too many to list. Drink what you enjoy!

Here's a thought. If you could only drink one whiskey/bourbon for the rest of your life, what would it be? For me, I think I would choose Tullamore Dew. Easy smooth Irish whiskey. Unpretentious and reasonable priced. Think about it, we all have our favorites, but......thoughts?

Oh that's a hard question. It so depends on my mood. I can list the rejects (definitely not those!) a lot easier than the one bourbon for the rest of my life.

Here's a thought. If you could only drink one whiskey/bourbon for the rest of your life, what would it be? For me, I think I would choose Tullamore Dew. Easy smooth Irish whiskey. Unpretentious and reasonable priced. Think about it, we all have our favorites, but......thoughts?

Did you see their latest ad?

Must be a different generation. Have never understood the need to get intoxicated when coming to see the departed.

My parents are buried in the same graveyard as John Belushi. For a few years after his death people would come to party on his grave and try to take the headstone as a memento. It got so bad that the cemetery has a large decoy headstone at the front of the cemetery to fool the village idiots.

Some people are really in need of a good psychiatrist.

Ted

And I pay too much for good bourbon to water it down with rainwater strained through a hat brim.

Must be a different generation. Have never understood the need to get intoxicated when coming to see the departed.

My parents are buried in the same graveyard as John Belushi. For a few years after his death people would come to party on his grave and try to take the headstone as a memento. It got so bad that the cemetery has a large decoy headstone at the front of the cemetery to fool the village idiots.

Some people are really in need of a good psychiatrist.

Ted

Thanks for the laugh.

Now go watch the ad to the end - starting at 2:00!

Last edited:
And I pay too much for good bourbon to water it down with rainwater strained through a hat brim.

Now you see that is interesting.

In the summer of 1977 when I was dating the young woman who is now my wife of forty years I took her to Bushmills Distillery just down a ways from where I lived. The oldest licensed distillery in the world. There were we two and eight British soldiers.

We were given a tour by a gnarly old gentleman who we learned used to drive the dray horses carrying the barrels up to the railway station to be shipped.

After the tour we were taken to the tasting room where he knocked the bung out of a small barrel and poured the ten of us a dram.

He then reached for the little white pottery water jug and offered everyone some water. One of the soldiers asked if it was better with water. His answer (and I remember it to this day);

"some like it as it comes, some like it with a little water, but don't ever let anyone tell you that you aren't a real man if you don't drink it neat. Just make sure you enjoy the taste of it!"

Every Irish pub you go into - I mean in Ireland itself - will have a jug of water available for your whiskey.

Thanks for the laugh.

Now go watch the ad to the end - starting at 2:00!

I watched the entire video before posting. I get it. There are just some places where the open consumption of hard liquor seems inappropriate.

Ted

Back
Top Bottom