Humpback Lands on Boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BruceK

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Sojourn
Vessel Make
Integrity 386
A humpback whale breached and landed on a half cabin fishing boat. The shocked occupants managed to return to shore where they we met by medics. The fibreglass boat definitely looks the worse for the experience.
180e870b5a0aef7f7b2398a042c02ca0

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06...ands-on-boat-on-nsw-far-south-coast/100197626

Last edited:
Greetings,
Hopefully everyone will be fine, whale included. I've read that some sonars interfere with whale navigation. I wonder if this may be the a factor here? Whale became confused?

In THIS case, I suspect an open bag of peanuts in the car...

194769347_301909518252967_1942486772603882521_n.jpg

Greetings,
Hopefully everyone will be fine, whale included. I've read that some sonars interfere with whale navigation. I wonder if this may be the a factor here? Whale became confused?

In THIS case, I suspect an open bag of peanuts in the car...

194769347_301909518252967_1942486772603882521_n.jpg

Some real Fahrvergnügen there.

My wife knows folks - avid sea kayakers - who had a humpy land across the bow of one of their boats in Glacier Bay. No one was hurt and it didn't damage the kayak, but they got to practice their wet exit and re-entry skills in real-world conditions :D

Wow, just looking at that boat and imagining the scene (and that they motored back in!)

I was also thinking "Whew, they were lucky," but then I read the article. I mean, they were lucky they weren't killed, but the 18-year-old is in the hospital in a coma with "severe head and neck" and spinal cord injuries. That sounds pretty grim. I wish the best for both of them.

The last time we were in Port McNeill BC, there was a warning in the harbormaster's office about humpbacks, to stay well clear of them because their movements are erratic and unpredictable. Besides having one land on your deck, boats can be rammed, much to the detriment of both the boat and the animal. This has nearly happened to us on a couple of occasions...both times we were nearly T-boned and didn't know any humpbacks were near us.

I am with you on this Ken. Humpbacks always caused me stress as they are known to not be boat aware, or at the least seem to not care about boats being near. This incident illustrates the reason for concern.

I wish the young man and his family the very best.

Back
Top Bottom