Humor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wifey B: Yes, the C8. Others have been hot cars, have been pony cars, have been lots of things but not true sports cars and beyond. Hubby and I have never desired a Corvette but we love this one. We just figure our Corvette fanatic girlfriend Jenn would kill us for jumping on the bandwagon. She's driven Corvette's for years and she had one of these ordered the first day it was possible. She'd told the dealer well before and he said, "But you don't even know the price." She said she didn't care. Old mustangs and Vettes were cute as have been other cars, but finally they got it right. :D

I agree. Other than the 63 - 67 Stingrays, which I lusted after when a kid, the other Corvettes were meh. And for most of my life, couldn't own one because of too many speeding tickets.

I've been hoping for a mid engined Corvette since Cerv II in the 60's.

First Vette that I would consider buying, after they work all the bugs out. And I should be able to insure it with only one speeding ticket currently on my record.

I agree. Other than the 63 - 67 Stingrays, which I lusted after when a kid, the other Corvettes were meh. And for most of my life, couldn't own one because of too many speeding tickets.

I've been hoping for a mid engined Corvette since Cerv II in the 60's.

First Vette that I would consider buying, after they work all the bugs out. And I should be able to insure it with only one speeding ticket currently on my record.

There are a few cities in Florida where Enterprise rents exotic cars. If I ever get the urge to go fast (trust me, I won't), I think a day or weekend rental of a C8 should suffice.

Ted

The way GM markets Corvettes or any other performance cars is introduce a couple mild variants for the first year to sell to the "gotta have the newest first" types of buyers

Then they start rolling out the high performance and track models.

That's another reason to wait a few years to buy. I tend to buy vehicles in their final few years before redesign which is when the cars are the most reliable and improved.

There are Vette enthusiasts that own a vette from each generations.

The way GM markets Corvettes or any other performance cars is introduce a couple mild variants for the first year to sell to the "gotta have the newest first" types of buyers

Then they start rolling out the high performance and track models.

That's another reason to wait a few years to buy. I tend to buy vehicles in their final few years before redesign which is when the cars are the most reliable and improved.

There are Vette enthusiasts that own a vette from each generations.

Wifey B: I wouldn't exactly call 0 to 60 in 2.9 seconds and top speed of 194 mph low performance. The Corvette buyer isn't headed to the track. :)

Wifey B: I wouldn't exactly call 0 to 60 in 2.9 seconds and top speed of 194 mph low performance. The Corvette buyer isn't headed to the track. :)

Yes they are. I do track days at two tracks in the PNW and over a third are Corvettes.

In the early days of the C-6 or C-7, guys were destroying their Corvette engines on tracks from oil starvation at high cornering speeds. GM introduced dry sumps on the performance models like Grand Sport, Z06, ZR1 and other track ready cars to mitigate oil starvation.

GM covered all the destroyed engines on warranty even though the cars were tracked.

Track ready cars are a high profit option for car makers now. All the major car makers have track ready cars. A good lap time at the Ring (Nurburgring) is an important aspect to these track ready cars. It was the major reason Corvette went mid engine. They had squeezed every last bit of performance tricks out of the C-7 to get low times at the Ring but the limiting factor was the engine in front. With the mid engine, we will see lower and lower lap times as the engineers develop this brand new car.

The track is really the only place where you can drive a Corvette or any other modern performance car at it's limit. Where else can you corner at over a G and do 190 MPH?

Track Days and HPDE (High Performance Driving Event) are very popular. Most during the summer sell out days before the event. At between $150 and $250 for 4 or 5 twenty minute track runs, it's an inexpensive way to drive fast safely. Except for the cost of tires.

Last edited:
iu

To add to 1769 above. true story, a cricket commentator joining a broadcast to replace another taking a break, decided to give the listeners the state of play, announcing, "The batsman`s Holding, the bowler`s Willy".

I was a masochist. I must confess that I owned and loved British cars in my misspent youth (lots of spents, little income). MG's of various types, an autocross prepped Healy Sprite, a Jaguar 3.8S sedan. Thought I had wisely outgrown all that. But in my latter years, as my memory (including memory of painful financial and physical interactions with Brit autos) faded, I had a relapse. At least partially. I bought a Heinz 59 MGB a few years back. Best (or worst) of both Brit and Yank. It's fun, relatively inexpensive and I can now afford to replace the parts that fall off. Nigel Shiftright (for those that remember him) can ride again, powered by Buick 215 (that's Rover 3.5 for you Brits)!

DavidHawkins-D.jpg

David Hawkins' 1967 MGB with Buick 215 V8

Last edited:
I was a masochist. I must confess that I owned and loved British cars in my misspent youth (lots of spents, little income). MG's of various types, an autocross prepped Healy Sprite, a Jaguar 3.8S sedan. Thought I had wisely outgrown all that. But in my latter years, as my memory (including memory of painful financial and physical interactions with Brit autos) faded, I had a relapse. At least partially. I bought a Heinz 59 MGB a few years back. Best (or worst) of both Brit and Yank. It's fun, relatively inexpensive and I can now afford to replace the parts that fall off. Nigel Shiftright (for those that remember him) can ride again, powered by Buick 215 (that's Rover 3.5 for you Brits)!

DavidHawkins-D.jpg

David Hawkins' 1967 MGB with Buick 215 V8

Very cool! A DIY MGB RV8 with that Buick engine.

:dance:Reminiscent of my '65 Sunbeam Tiger with Ford 260ci V8.

:dance:Reminiscent of my '65 Sunbeam Tiger with Ford 260ci V8.

Do you still have the Tiger?

Used to have a 65 also in the 70's. It was a cool car with the V8 but the skinny 13" tires and the weight in the front hampered performance. Mine was a California car with a bunch of LAT performance upgrades but still enjoyed doing 360's if cornered too hard.

Have you seen what they are worth now? I sold mine in 1976 for $2,700.

Do you still have the Tiger?

Used to have a 65 also in the 70's. It was a cool car with the V8 but the skinny 13" tires and the weight in the front hampered performance. Mine was a California car with a bunch of LAT performance upgrades but still enjoyed doing 360's if cornered too hard.

Have you seen what they are worth now? I sold mine in 1976 for $2,700.

Yeah; drove like an ox-cart, but the idle-rumble at a stoplight was perfection.

Parted with mine in 69 after losing my license:lol: I confess that every one of those tickets was factually true, but... One was for an improper left turn which I made after chatting with the motorcycle cop in the adjacent lane during the long red light!

Second post Powerball purchase.

Yeah; drove like an ox-cart, but the idle-rumble at a stoplight was perfection.

Parted with mine in 69 after losing my license:lol: I confess that every one of those tickets was factually true, but... One was for an improper left turn which I made after chatting with the motorcycle cop in the adjacent lane during the long red light!

Second post Powerball purchase.

Wow! You reminded me of the idle rumble at stop lights. Yea, and blip the throttle and the whole car shook!

I had mine around mid 70's for about a year and a half. Had to get rid of it due to too many speeding tickets too! Looked at buying one a few years ago but the high price, age and lack of modern comforts and safety, that I have become accustomed to with modern cars, brought me to my senses.

Did you buy yours new?

lack of modern comforts and safety, that I have become accustomed to with modern cars, brought me to my senses.

Did you buy yours new?

Yeah, a friend of mine who collects Studebakers says he is continually amazed by the discomfort and shi77y technology we regarded as "modern"

Mine had about 10,000 miles at purchase, probably sold by some other guy who lost his license. The "folklore" about red sportscars has a lot of supporting anecdotes.

Yeah, a friend of mine who collects Studebakers says he is continually amazed by the discomfort and shi77y technology we regarded as "modern"

Mine had about 10,000 miles at purchase, probably sold by some other guy who lost his license. The "folklore" about red sportscars has a lot of supporting anecdotes.

It's amazing to get in the luxury vehicles, top of the line, of yesteryear and realize how superior the cheapest car on the market is today in so many ways. Even back in the past, I remember a friend so proud of his new Corvette and took me for a ride and all I could think was how horrible the ride and how I'd never want to take a long trip in it. Recently, someone had a 1966 Lincoln they had restored and very proud of it. To me it was a revelation as I'd never been in such a car since it was before I was born and even as a child, my family didn't have any Lincolns or Cadillacs. His restoration was beautiful and flawless but my only thought was how far we've come and how those things from the past remembered so fondly likely weren't as we remember them. My first car was a 1987 Chrysler Lebaron Convertible. I remembered it as a hot sporty sexy car. I was looking online the other day and all I saw was a bunch of plain, ugly cars. Surely mine wasn't like that. Oh, yes it was.

That is the problem. Every sports car I've owned has been red.

I've never actually lost my license but have been on restriction and probation numerous times. When I was in my 20's the State Patrol put a big "H" on my license so I couldn't talk cops out of tickets. I only get speeding tickets, nothing else.

I invest in the latest radar detectors which has reduced tickets by 90% Have averaged only one ticket every 5 to 8 years. Did get a ticket in December. My detector alerted me to a laser gun but those are impossible to evade. I was really friendly with the officer, gave him tips on beating radar detectors and he explained how his laser gun worked. He felt bad having to ticket me but said he already called it in. Instead of ticketing me for 95 in a 60 MPH freeway, he wrote it for 65 MPH which was around $105. Fine for 95 would have been $310 plus a possible reckless driving charge.

It's amazing to get in the luxury vehicles, top of the line, of yesteryear and realize how superior the cheapest car on the market is today in so many ways. Even back in the past, I remember a friend so proud of his new Corvette and took me for a ride and all I could think was how horrible the ride and how I'd never want to take a long trip in it. Recently, someone had a 1966 Lincoln they had restored and very proud of it. To me it was a revelation as I'd never been in such a car since it was before I was born and even as a child, my family didn't have any Lincolns or Cadillacs. His restoration was beautiful and flawless but my only thought was how far we've come and how those things from the past remembered so fondly likely weren't as we remember them. My first car was a 1987 Chrysler Lebaron Convertible. I remembered it as a hot sporty sexy car. I was looking online the other day and all I saw was a bunch of plain, ugly cars. Surely mine wasn't like that. Oh, yes it was.
I really sweated letting our two daughters each take spins in the 1965 Mustang I've
recently been restoring. It has '60's steering and brakes, in other words, very dated.
Not to mention 425 HP...
I shouldn't have worried, they loved it anyway.
The color? Poppy Red.

Last edited:
Sure, sure, sure.. our newer vehicles have many improved hi-tec items... of all sorts.

However - During Sunday Drives........

--- How many times do people walking across the street give the new cars a big smile and big thumbs up?

--- How many times at the gas station do people come over to look at the newer vehicles and love to start a chat about them... while trying to guess their year?

--- How many times on the highway do vehicles cruise next to new cars taking photos and waving?

--- How many newer vehicles constantly appreciate in value?

--- How many new cars are a simply "Too Cool" to own and drive on weekends!!??

Nuff Said!

Our pwr brakes, pwr steering, pwr windows, pwr seat, full AC, 430 cid/400 HP 1967 Buick Wildcat... "Luxo Muscle Car" is simply a GASSSS to cruise in!

Attachments

• 1967 Wildcat - 9-30-2019.jpg
    1967 Wildcat - 9-30-2019.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 36
  • Wildcat - New Paint.jpg
    Wildcat - New Paint.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Cat  Engine etc..jpg
    Cat Engine etc..jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 35

The thing that turned me off on old cars - the exhaust smell. When I'm behind older cars, muscle cars, hot rods etc in my car with the top down, the stench coming out of the exhaust is unbearable. We forget how dirty the pollution coming out of old cars were.

The responsible hot rodders are installing the GM LS and Ford Coyote crate engines into old cars and the polution and performance difference is amazing. Add modern suspension from Art Morrison and you have a restored old car body with completely modern running gear.

Some company is selling a drop in electric motor, controls and battery for installing into any car for 0 pollution. Price is up there but will drop as competition increase.

But still no airbags, ABS, traction and stability control.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Is this thread about humour or cars? How about the mods take ALL the car posts and put them in a separate thread please?

Sure, sure, sure.. our newer vehicles have many improved hi-tec items... of all sorts.

However - During Sunday Drives........

--- How many times do people walking across the street give the new cars a big smile and big thumbs up?

--- How many times at the gas station do people come over to look at the newer vehicles and love to start a chat about them... while trying to guess their year?

--- How many times on the highway do vehicles cruise next to new cars taking photos and waving?

--- How many newer vehicles constantly appreciate in value?

--- How many new cars are a simply "Too Cool" to own and drive on weekends!!??

Nuff Said!

Our pwr brakes, pwr steering, pwr windows, pwr seat, full AC, 430 cid/400 HP 1967 Buick Wildcat... "Luxo Muscle Car" is simply a GASSSS to cruise in!

I do get your point. Old cars are cool!

Very nice Wildcat. How long have you had it?

Reactions: Art
Greetings,
Mr. m. I am trying to illustrate that my post (#1795) is about as related to humor as the car posts. This is supposed to be a humor thread, is it not? Some people just can't take the hint. I've tried to bring it back to humor on at least 2 occasions but cars just keep popping up.
Don't get me wrong. I'm as much of a gearhead as the next guy but please NOT on the humor thread. There has been a ton of really funny stuff posted and as interesting as old iron is, other than British cars which are a joke in themselves, not too much is funny about a 1967 Buick (JUST as an example).

OK. Rant off...

iu

RT - I'd recognize you anywhere. Panties in a wad?? Guess so!!

Back
Top Bottom