Fish Farms near Campbell River, BC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SteveK

Guru
Vessel Name
Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Make
Bayliner 4588
I receive subscribed emails and this one may be of interest to BC boating/fishing residents

Dear steve,
I’ve been involved in the campaign to remove factory fish farms from our coastal waters for many years, and we are definitely at a unique moment. September 30, 2020 marks the deadline for removing all salmon farms from the Discovery Islands, near Campbell River according to the 19th recommendation of the Commission of Inquiry into the Decline of Sockeye Salmon in the Fraser River.

The inquiry was headed by Justice Bruce Cohen, took over two years to complete and in 2012 culminated in an 1100 page final report with 75 recommendations covering habitat protection, salmon farming, hatchery management, fisheries management, government accountability and more.

Prime Minister Trudeau promised to act on the Cohen Commission recommendations, but so far, we’ve seen no evidence he is taking this deadline seriously. Will you email your MP and ask they ensure fish farms are being removed from the Discovery Islands by the September 30 deadline?

This past spring, we saw skyrocketing parasite outbreaks on factory fish farms and up to 99% infection rates of juvenile wild salmon.

What was DFO’s response? They changed the rules, giving factory farms 42 days to reduce lice levels when they go over the limit deemed safe for wild salmon. 42 days! Essentially, this is a free pass to kill wild fish. No fines, no repercussions.

Over the years, I’ve heard many excuses from DFO and the factory fish farm industry about parasitic salmon lice.
• First DFO and farmers said the parasites weren’t coming from their farms.
• Then they said they weren’t killing juvenile salmon.
• Then they said they weren’t causing wild salmon population declines.
• Then they said their drug, SLICE®, would control their parasites.
• Then they said their new de-lousing boats would control the parasites.

The time for excuses is over. British Columbians expect our Members of Parliament to follow through with their commitments to get fish farms off B.C.’s coast and away from wild salmon.

Right now, farms are being removed slowly but surely in the Broughton Archipelago, thanks to decades of persistence from First Nations and activists there. Now it is time to start removing farms from the Discovery Islands too.

With 2 months until the September 30 deadline, we want to see action. If enough people contact their MPs, inundating them with letters and calls, they won’t be able to ignore us. Can you take a minute to email your MP now?

And please tell your friends too. Share the link, forward this email. Help turn up the volume on this issue before the deadline.

In solidarity,

Stan
Send an email to your MP with this link, it fills in name of your MP using your postal code. You receive a copy of the sent email.

Interesting. Farmed salmon negatively affects all communities on the west coast. Wish you good luck

Email received tonight
Tonight, we celebrate! The feds just announced that fish farms will be phased out of the Discovery Islands over the next 18 months. That means farms currently raising fish will finish their grow-out and won’t be able to re-stock.

Greetings,
Mr. S. Indeed good news BUT has too much damage already been done. Can the natural fishery recuperate?

Greetings,
Mr. S. Indeed good news BUT has too much damage already been done. Can the natural fishery recuperate?
Yes, it was thought that the returning fish were affected by the farm fish until a study proved it was the fry heading out to sea that was feasting under the pens that died off at sea due to diseases caught.

Fish farming as a political issue, more than an environmental one. I often hear its MORE the former.

Interesting. Farmed salmon negatively affects all communities on the west coast. Wish you good luck

Affects ALL negatively? Surely not the fish farmers and consumers who eat the stuff. I can see it negatively affecting competitors though.

Do you really think that with the collapse of the wild stocks, the overfishing of herring and rockfish, halibut and ling cod, even mud sharks, that you can expect to eat wild fish stocks forever?

It's rich that Campbell River overfished consistently, rv'ers used to park along the water south of town and can everything they caught, there were more guides than you could shake a stick at and now the fish are gone yet they are blaming the farms? Hypocrisy.

We need fish farms to feed our population and banning them is specious and basically nonsense. Fixing up the process might be the issue, not banning.

I like a nice fresh farmed fish and you'd better get a taste for them too as the wild fish are going to be extinct. Even the beaches are regularly vacuumed clean of everything alive, by bands of Asians who are used to getting something for nothing.

The only possible way to save the stocks is to ban ALL fishing from the submarine pens in Washington State to Ketchikan and 200 miles offshore to keep the Chinese out. For 10 years minimum. Given that we can't get people to wear masks or stop throwing beer bottles and McDonald's crap out their car windows, cigarette butts? Good luck with that. Get used to farmed fish.

Absolutely DON'T sign that claptrap.

Sturgeon, Atlantic's, oysters, steelhead, all successfully farmed and excellent quality. I probably missed some. Anyone who takes an undersized fish, takes a rockfish from a closed area, steals more oysters or prawns or takes female crabs? You're all part of why we need farms because you just don't care.

Merry Christmas!

Do you really think that with the collapse of the wild stocks, the overfishing of herring and rockfish, halibut and ling cod, even mud sharks, that you can expect to eat wild fish stocks forever?

It's rich that Campbell River overfished consistently, rv'ers used to park along the water south of town and can everything they caught, there were more guides than you could shake a stick at and now the fish are gone yet they are blaming the farms? Hypocrisy.

We need fish farms to feed our population and banning them is specious and basically nonsense. Fixing up the process might be the issue, not banning.

I like a nice fresh farmed fish and you'd better get a taste for them too as the wild fish are going to be extinct. Even the beaches are regularly vacuumed clean of everything alive, by bands of Asians who are used to getting something for nothing.

The only possible way to save the stocks is to ban ALL fishing from the submarine pens in Washington State to Ketchikan and 200 miles offshore to keep the Chinese out. For 10 years minimum. Given that we can't get people to wear masks or stop throwing beer bottles and McDonald's crap out their car windows, cigarette butts? Good luck with that. Get used to farmed fish.

Sturgeon, Atlantic's, oysters, steelhead, all successfully farmed and excellent quality. I probably missed some. Anyone who takes an undersized fish, takes a rockfish from a closed area, steals more oysters or prawns or takes female crabs? You're all part of why we need farms because you just don't care.

Exactly, the gov. controls fishing, overseas its collapse, lets foreigners fish illegally, and now canadian SJWs blame the industry that comes to the rescue and figures out how to farm fish. Ohhhh the irony. And oof course the indians there can overfish just as much as they want too. On the east coast too, the gov took over stalinist style control, and wiped out the cod fishery ther within a few years. Pathetic.

Exactly, the gov. controls fishing, overseas its collapse, lets foreigners fish illegally, and now canadian SJWs blame the industry that comes to the rescue and figures out how to farm fish. Ohhhh the irony. And oof course the indians there can overfish just as much as they want too. On the east coast too, the gov took over stalinist style control, and wiped out the cod fishery ther within a few years. Pathetic.

Ess you do share many good points. I totally agree our wild stock salmon can not sustain our population, and as far as our beaches if it’s got a pulse it’s in the bucket. Lol and there is a lot of people that don’t even know there eating a farm fish. The package said fresh wild sockeye they say!

The other day I was in a boat yard talk with one of the main guys in charge of the 19 fish farms they supposedly are shutting down.
He was was saying that is what they are calling it for the public, they are actually moving them further North up the coast! Out Of site out of mine.

The other day I was in a boat yard talk with one of the main guys in charge of the 19 fish farms they supposedly are shutting down.
He was was saying that is what they are calling it for the public, they are actually moving them further North up the coast! Out Of site out of mine.
Farming in of itself is not the problem, farming in the path, migratory routes of wild salmon is the problem. Plenty of coastline, plenty of inlets to hide away not just from public view but wild stock view.
It was mentioned that native indians can fish when they want without restrictions. New arrivals from eurasian in the 80's took to overfishing all species, keeping all crabs caught and harvesting shellfish in closed contaminated areas. many were caught selling to Vancouver restaurants. It was not uncommon to see a cartop boat with 6 people jigging for cod.
Then the kelp was harvested removing habitat.
Man made issues now being solved by farmed salmon. In theory, it is the future, but it should not cause total elimination of natural processes.

Ess you do share many good points. I totally agree our wild stock salmon can not sustain our population, and as far as our beaches if it’s got a pulse it’s in the bucket. Lol and there is a lot of people that don’t even know there eating a farm fish. The package said fresh wild sockeye they say!

He was was saying that is what they are calling it for the public, they are actually moving them further North up the coast! Out Of site out of mine.[/QUOTE]

Yes, thanks, as I said, its a political mantra, not a resources one.

I disagree. It maybe a political football, but it is also a resource issue. The reason the wild stock in down is due to mis-management of the stock. (Commercial) Fish until there is nothing left. The Columbia River is suffering greatly due to mis-management.

In Alaska, fish farms are illegal and will never be used. Yet POS Atlantic fish escape and are joining wild stock.

In Alaska, Fisheries are managed for its citizens first. Then commercial second. Many Oregon, Washington and BC commercial fish use Alaska's resource, like Bristol Bay and Copper River. If the resource is not up to the level to sustain, the fishery is closed. Alaskans don't mind as they are managing the fish, it is the commercial fish and tourist than scream the most.

Take the POS, substandard Atlantic salmon and build your farms on the Atlantic side. There should be no reason for fish farms on the west coast if the wild salmon stock is managed properly.

Why are Atlantic's considered a "POS?" Of course they are not as yummy as a Chinook but they're better than chum and imho, better than pinks.

Commercial fishing at the rate it's happening now will decimate the fish stocks forever, everywhere. Successful, viable farms will take the pressure off wild stocks so at least they will survive. Wild fish are seen as "free" and subject to all the tenets of "the tragedy of the commons." This means poaching, cheating, stealing, fighting over a scarce resource. You will never prevent 8 billion people from eating lovely, wild fish so there has to be farms or the seas will be barren.

Work with the farmers, don't put them out of business. The farms are essential.

Xsbank ...exactly, and theyre also subject to letting foreigners steal the fish. In Canada its not PC to stop them.

Why are Atlantic's considered a "POS?" Of course they are not as yummy as a Chinook but they're better than chum and imho, better than pinks.

Commercial fishing at the rate it's happening now will decimate the fish stocks forever, everywhere. Successful, viable farms will take the pressure off wild stocks so at least they will survive. Wild fish are seen as "free" and subject to all the tenets of "the tragedy of the commons." This means poaching, cheating, stealing, fighting over a scarce resource. You will never prevent 8 billion people from eating lovely, wild fish so there has to be farms or the seas will be barren.

Work with the farmers, don't put them out of business. The farms are essential.
The taste is why. I am a little bias, but here you go top to bottom:

1. Sockeye/Reds
2. Coho/Silvers
3. Chinook/Kings
4. Halibut
5. Sturgeon
6. Pinks if fresh from water and not frozen
7. Sea Bass
8. Yellow eye/red snapper
9. Cod

Then way on the bottom:

Chum /dog food
Farmed raised salmon/crab, shrimp pot bait.

Get rid of the farmed Atlantic salmon and/or open hatcheries for pacific salmon

Hatcheries? Years ago I asked why hatcheries do not operate year round. Funding was one answer. They were supposed to supplement and not replace naturally spawned fish.
I always lòoked at hatcheries as a way to top off runs. They could be considered a fish farm with tax dollars. But Penn farms pay taxes, maybe more.

Hatcheries? Years ago I asked why hatcheries do not operate year round. Funding was one answer. They were supposed to supplement and not replace naturally spawned fish.
I always lòoked at hatcheries as a way to top off runs. They could be considered a fish farm with tax dollars. But Penn farms pay taxes, maybe more.

Gov. pork and covering up for their mismanagement.

Good point and interesting. In Alaska, PWS there is a sockeye hatchery in Main Bay. It is actually ran through self imposed taxes from commercial fisherman.

The run comes in and the hatchery gets the fish they need. Then they hire a trawler to come in and net the fish to pay for salaries, equipment and new construction. While all this is being done sport fisherman are allowed to come in the bay and fish.

Once the hatchery has paid its bill, the bow pickers of the commercial fleet are allowed to come in.

The above works very well for some years now. If there is a poor run, the hatchery has priority.

There is no reason at all to farm Salmon on the west coast. None what so ever. Fire up the hatcheries and in about 3 to 4 years fish start showing up. This is where it gets political. The Enviromenal Waco Terrorists don't want the hatcheries. They have shut down many hatcheries on the Columbia and folks wonder why there are no fish, absent of course the thousands of sea lions.

Last edited:
Farms if run properly are self-sustaining, hatcheries run off tax dollars.

Back
Top Bottom