A first day of fall question for you...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
These chandeliers look nothing like the chandeliers in prior pic. I think we've been had!!!!

I think you're mistaken. They look like the ones in the forward part of the garage. The ambient light level has the camera over exposing those chandeliers.

Ted

OC Diver nailed it. Two different kinds of chandeliers in the garage. Also, in case Zoar didn't notice it, there are two different kinds of bulbs, and that's what this thread is all about.

:dance::facepalm::dance::facepalm::dance:

They can be difficult to install,I recommend getting Mr. Lear to fit them. He is usually assisted by his daughter Shanda.

I've just got it laying sideways across the battery bank. It's touching enough terminals that it lights right up. Even the metal parts are glowing!

They can be difficult to install,I recommend getting Mr. Lear to fit them. He is usually assisted by his daughter Shanda.

I knew the daughter Shanda. Nice, but not very bright, if you get my drift.

this is no place for a poor man like me . but my poor wife would flip out over the different types.

I'd bet that many of you are in the middle to hauling out your boats for the cold winter months ahead. With that thought in mind I thought I'd give you a questto take your mind off your lonely baby sitting in a garage somewhere.

Since I'm the resident TF cheapskate here's a cheapskate question for you. You have two options to pick from and please justify your answer.

When we bought our home one of the things we laughed about were the chandeliers in the garage. Yup, four of them. They each had several of the small base, chandelier type bulbs in them. While those bulbs are festive they don't last long. I've started replacing them (as they burn out) with LED bulbs. The old bulbs are 40W, the new ones are 4W and are much brighter as you can see in the photo below.

20200922-121431-1.jpg

So here's the question: Should I replace all the remaining bulbs now, going from the 40W to the 4W bulbs, or should I continue to replace them as they burn out. So pick your answer and justify your answer:

Option A--replace them all now, throw out the old bulbs even though they still work and save on energy consumption, or

Option B--replace them as they burn out and not throw out bulbs that are still working.

Not seeing a photo, but I would go with B or replace the entire fixtures altogether. Pay for themselves in no time. you can even now buy LED bulbs that have motion detectors built right into the bulbs, which might be a good idea for garage.

I would change out as the burn out, but I would also replace them with festive colors...
And add a disco ball for sure.

Work bench proly has a light of its own meaning the chandeliers don't even need to be on when working there. They proly get switched on for a moment here and there when you are looking for something to take back into the house. Do not buy any more bulbs for these things. You should unscrew all bulbs but one or two of the LEDs since you don't need much light. Then swap around LEDs if any ever go out. You don't EVEN know cheap, yet.

They really don't belong in the garage unless you're entertaining. That said, you mentioned pulling a trawler out. Could they be repurposed for your saloon and / or your deck reserved for outdoor entertaining.

Nothing beats 42" fluorescent fixtures for a garage to provide abundant light.

Or course, last time we entertained in our garage was my son's HS graduation and we didn't need lights (daylight). A hummingbird did enjoy relaxing on the purple streamers we had strung between the four corners. I confess, that was Indiana and like the Indiana Beach commercial used to say, "There's more than corn in Indiana." My response was, "just not much more."

Replace

I’m a lighting guy by profession so take this with a grain of salt.

Replace all with led to enjoy a consistent look of the fixture,;color, intensity, shape, etc.

Given the intermittent use, cost of led lamps and despite the 90% energy savings you will never in our lifetimes get a RoI.

Alternative- sell the fixtures in eBay, make it someone else’s issue and spend the cash on creating a fun memory with a loved one.

Hard to believe that on Trawler Forum, with most of us owning boats that cost equal to or more than many folk's houses, we would debate the ROI on the cost of light bulbs! lol

Frankly, I think you need more chandeliers. MORE DAMMIT!

OC Diver nailed it. Two different kinds of chandeliers in the garage. Also, in case Zoar didn't notice it, there are two different kinds of bulbs, and that's what this thread is all about.

:dance::facepalm::dance::facepalm::dance:

AHHHHH, two different kinds of chandeliers. Well, I certainly knew from reading that it was about TWO different types of bulbs but the two radically different types of chandelliers was indeed news to me.

There are certainly a lot of dim bulbs in this thread! :D

A Cheapskate's Answer

Since I'm the resident TF cheapskate here's a cheapskate question for you. You have two options to pick from and please justify your answer.

When we bought our home one of the things we laughed about were the chandeliers in the garage. Yup, four of them. They each had several of the small base, chandelier type bulbs in them. While those bulbs are festive they don't last long. I've started replacing them (as they burn out) with LED bulbs. The old bulbs are 40W, the new ones are 4W and are much brighter as you can see in the photo below.

So here's the question: Should I replace all the remaining bulbs now, going from the 40W to the 4W bulbs, or should I continue to replace them as they burn out. So pick your answer and justify your answer:

Option A--replace them all now, throw out the old bulbs even though they still work and save on energy consumption, or

Option B--replace them as they burn out and not throw out bulbs that are still working.

I just found your question in my Trawler Forum digest. What fun! I read through the answers but did not see my preferred combination, so here's my answer really late.

From one cheapskate to another:

My answer is: none of the above. The details and justification are as follows.

Get rid of the chandeliers as many have already suggested and replace them with proper garage lights populated with long-life LED bulbs. But ... buy your new fixtures from the local ReStore sponsored by Habitat for Humanity (if they have what you want). Regardless of purchase source, donate your garage chandeliers to ReStore. The justifications are these:

1) You are investing in your house. You will recoup most of the costs at sale, especially since your current garage lighting, a neighborhood joke, detracts from its value.

2) Buying from ReStore is cheaper (if they happen to have something you like) -- the item may have been donated new or may have come out of another house used; new or used, the price will be far below that which a commercial store would charge. Further, the purchase cost goes to a good cause. Additionally, your purchase might even be tax deductible since HfH is a 501 (c) 3 charity -- ask your tax people, as it probably depends on your circumstances.

3) Donating to Restore is most certainly tax deductible (although it may not be useful to you if you don't itemize or your tax deductions are already maxed). Again you are donating to a good cause so the old fixtures aren't wasted.

So there you go. Hope you got a giggle from my dry wit and extreme cheapskatery.

If I were a cheapskate, I'd remove the incandescent bulbs and, if the LEDs provide enough light, problem solved. If not, try to find replacement LEDs on sale. Worth noting, incandescents give the best color rendering.

Guys, I gotta tell you that this thread has gone on a LOT longer and provided a LOT more fun than I would have guessed when I first posted it. As some of you probably guessed, this was done as a joke.

My plan is to replace the old bulbs with new LED bulbs as they burn out. Color rendition? Hell, I can hardly spell that let alone know what it means. And Shanda? I never really knew her but I heard she was sort of a dimwit.

But what the heck do I know? I'm just the resident cheapskate and we're not known for being the brightest bulb in the chandelier.

Thanks for the fun.

Unless things have drastically changed in the Tri-Cities area, electricity is so cheap one could just leave whatever lights on permanently and almost not know the difference (especially with reference to the cost of electricity elsewhere). :flowers:

If you didn't comprehend, this is just pure envy....

Back
Top Bottom