Windlass question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lollygag1

Guru
Vessel Name
Lollygag
Vessel Make
34 Mainship Pilot Hardtop
We to anchor out today and windlass decided it did not want to work, just clicks when I press either up or down. Hit reset switch and got nothing. Question I have is if anyone is familiar with the Lewmar winch on the main ship and how I could operate manually until I get it repaired. I did not see a model number

Thanks

Picture? Low battery? Pull up by hand works, but it sucks...

I will get a pic up tomorrow. I can’t seem to find a way to manually lower it. I have picked it up before does suck as there is 30’ of chain. However I will anchor in shallow water if I can figure how to manually operate

You probably have a Lewmar 700 with a socket on top of the gypsy. Lewmar sells a special wrench (of course they sell it as an extra part) and you can operate the windlass manually. Clockwise to retrieve, CCW to fall, by using the wrench to tighten or loosen the clutch.

The wrench is inexpensive, probably available at West, or you can buy a 3/8 drive allen socket to fit. I have both. Slip a cheater bar over the wrench the last few feet. Makes retrieval a lot easier.

Thanks I found a hard plastic device that fits into the Gypsy which is how I assume you retrieve I did not see how I could release the clutch to let it out. I was getting cooked in the sun as we were back at the dock so will go early and fuss with it. I will just pick up a mooring tomorrow

Winch is only power out and in? I was thinking just kick it over the end and let it go on the brake, and ratchet it back aboard. My winch works both ways, but I just dump it on the brake.

Thanks I found a hard plastic device that fits into the Gypsy which is how I assume you retrieve I did not see how I could release the clutch to let it out.

Lewmar also makes a metal version. Turn ccw to release clutch.

Next step is to figure out what's wrong. Typical installation would have a switch to a solenoid that would control the 12V to the windlass. The 12V line would have a circuit breaker.

You will need an inexpensive voltmeter or multimeter. Push the switch on, check voltage at circuit breaker, solenoid, and windlass. One of them is toast. Most likely scenario, water leaked into housing, rusted out motor connections, so solenoid is clicking but motor isn't turning. Gears/bearings could also be rusted solid.

Motor could be shorting out if the circuit breaker is tripping. New motor is around $150. You can bypass the circuit breaker and solenoid and briefly put 12V directly to the motor to see if it's working.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom