Windlass for Mainship 34 MK3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keltiedog

I need to install a windlass on my recently purchased Mainship 34 Mk 3. I'm planning to install the windlass aft on the pulpit, just forward of a pulpit mounted Sampson Post. I will single or, light-hand cruise a lot so need the anchor control for safety. Are there Mainship 34 owners out there who have and/or installed windlass's? Are there recommendations of favorite brands and configurations ? Are there opinions on controlled or drop release? And, of course, advice or thoughts on installation (reinforcement of the deck and pulpit). All thoughts would be appreciated. Richard (Apollo Beach, FL)

We didn't have a windlass on our Mainship III, but on different boats since then we've had Maxwell RCs that worked pretty well.

The last previous was an RC 10-10 (I think), with footswitches at the bow and also with controls at the helm, easy enough to manage.

-Chris

Thanks Chris, your comment on control locations makes me think I'll go with foot controls forward and at each helm station.

I installed a windlass on my MK1 last season, I copied the setup that was on a MK3, you can see the pictures of the MK3 with a lewmar profish on the first page of this thread. I would be happy to answer any questions
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s42/anchor-pulpit-project-57784.html

The model I installed has a free fall mode, but I don't use it, I prefer to lower it in a controlled fashion but if I was anchoring in deep water regularly, I might use the free fall.

I installed a wireless remote for it, they are sold for winches on off-roaders and are really cheap (~20), I really like it and super simple to install.

The profish 1000 windlass seems to be a pretty common windlass on these boats, they aren't the heaviest built, they are a budget unit but does the job ok for a boat this size in my experience.

(this thread is giving me a sense of deja vu)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom