Why is it That

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I haven't stayed at a marine since 2011. I like quiet. They want $50-80 a night for my boat. I still think motel rooms should be $10 a night. Sometimes I overnight at fuel docks.

I haven't stayed at a marine since 2011. I like quiet. They want $50-80 a night for my boat. I still think motel rooms should be $10 a night. Sometimes I overnight at fuel docks.
For free at tbe fuel docks?

I at least feel at a motel I get the sheets and towels messed up....at many marins overnights, I dont use anything of tbeirs except the cleats, dont even get their water dirty as it is long gone by morning.

Stilettos and RIBs don't mix :D
We love to anchor out except when we want sightsee, fix something, or just chill out for a while. Three nights in a marina is usually enough to see whatever we came for. But, some marinas fee schedules are out-of-whack. For what it costs for 3 nights is about the same as for 1 week so we stay the week.:thumb:

Stilettos and RIBs don't mix :D
We love to anchor out except when we want sightsee, fix something, or just chill out for a while. Three nights in a marina is usually enough to see whatever we came for. But, some marinas fee schedules are out-of-whack. For what it costs for 3 nights is about the same as for 1 week so we stay the week.:thumb:

Wifey B: Silly, you don't wear Stilettos in RIBS. :nonono::nonono::nonono:

Well, see, your except...except when we want to sight see...we always want to sight see, so that's why marinas. We also generally don't stay over three nights and then on to the next stop. Only places we've stayed a week (a few other six days) at one marina would be San Francisco (Sausalito actually), Los Angeles (Marina del Rey, actually), San Diego, Boston, Newport RI, NYC, and Chicago (I may have missed one but that's all I remember right now). So, just big cities with lots to see and do.

Our norm is 2 or 3 nights. :)

We have yet to really get into cruising....but we certainly have plans to do so.
I know for us we plan to do some of both...marinas and anchoring out. For lots of reasons...but a big one being the ability to plug into shore power so we don't have to run our generator 24/7.

Anchoring Out...Power vs Sail

I'm new to TF and just beginning my search for the perfect trawler (aka the "unicorn"). I can already tell that this site - and your posts - will be valuable.

As a former cruising sailor, I often found that anchoring out was in many ways easier than taking a 40' sailboat into a marina. I've been complimented on my boat-driving in tight quarters more than once (no thrusters, no twins, small prop) and I even remember sailing her into a marina once (bad fuel) but in truth they're not real maneuverable under power so again, almost easier to anchor. And my dinghy hung in davits on the back...very easy to drop in the water if I wasn't towing it already. I had a generator, AC, etc. but didn't run either of them constantly. Only carried 60 gallons of diesel, which lasted a good while running a 35 hp Perkins and a Panda genny. Also, sailing is an "active" undertaking - it's more of a sport I guess - and frankly I was typically in raggedy shorts and an old tee shirt...very low key. I would have felt the need to clean up, just to go find the Harbor Master. But don't get me wrong...marinas were a nice break.

But the original question is a good one. If trawlers are so much more "hotel-ish" compared to a similar sized stick boat, it seems like they'd be MORE likely to anchor out.

When we get on our boat we do so to leave the marina, cruise and/or anchor out. Otherwise... we'd simply stay at our nice marine... otherwise we'd stay home... otherwise we could always ,,,,,,,,,, sell our boat.

See where this is going?

Boats are made to anchor out and ENJOY!

IOHO - That is, of course! :dance: :dance:

Last edited:
Welcome to TF CDreamer,

Thanks for the thoughtful perspective.
You'll find that this forum covers a lot of differing opinions on boating. Even though we have the shared interest in trawler style boats, we vary considerably in our likes & dislikes, our required level of luxury, our local weather and sea conditions, our local geography, and how we use our boats.
So you've got no chance on us telling you what is the "perfect" trawler.

But the original question is a good one. If trawlers are so much more "hotel-ish" compared to a similar sized stick boat, it seems like they'd be MORE likely to anchor out.

Thats what I thought as well. I absolutely love spending the night in a beautiful secluded anchorage, with the 360 degree views from the coach house. That's what makes it all worthwhile.

Most sailboats aren't designed to take in the views. In fact, they are better designed for privacy in a marina with the small portholes. Many trawlers close up their curtains or blinds to get some privacy in a crowded marina.

Well from what I'm reading here all of you Trawler drivers love to anchor out and hate staying in marinas. Given that you all hate staying in marinas, we're back to the OP's original question.

Why are there always more sailboats in anchorages?
Are there just that many more sailboats than power boats?
Do sailors use their boats more often and for longer periods of time?

Those are excellent questions. The view from the docks I find myself hanging out near these days suggests yes to both.

Well from what I'm reading here all of you Trawler drivers love to anchor out and hate staying in marinas. Given that you all hate staying in marinas, we're back to the OP's original question.

Why are there always more sailboats in anchorages?

Not always the case. In our Moreton Bay, there are always more power boats than yachts because this bay is not all that yacht friendly.

Are there just that many more sailboats than power boats?

Possibly so in places where there are large open water areas to sail in, and minimal shallow or narrow channels and shoals.

Do sailors use their boats more often and for longer periods of time?

Now you are onto something. Of all the boats out there, smaller yachts are often more usable for overnighting than small, cheaper power boats, because of their more enclosed design. As less costly boats can be afforded by more folk, then that means they tend to get used more and are out there more. The flip side to that coin is the largest, flashest, most expensive boats, power or sail, tend to be those that spend the most time at the dock.

As with many questions, the answers are somewhat geographically dependent.

1. Why are there always more sailboats in anchorages?

In my area I would agree about there being more sail boats in anchorages, The reason is simple. Most power boats don't stray too far from the home marina unless the seas are flat (which is rare). There aren't many stabilized pleasure power boats around here other than the odd ex fishing boat with paravanes.

2. Are there just that many more sailboats than power boats?

Its a fairly even mix between sail and power at most South Australian marinas. If you include trailer boats, power boats are far more prevalent.

3. Do sailors use their boats more often and for longer periods of time?

I would say it is about even in regards to how often the boats are used, but sail boats tend to be away from the dock far longer than power boats. I cant remember the last time one of my power boat dock-mates anchored out for more than one night. Sail boats tend to be more seaworthy (or at least more comfortable in rough seas) than non stabilized boats and therefore are willing to stray further and stay out when the weather get less than ideal.

Wifey B: We're anchored now. :) Until 8:00 AM. Were at marina until 5:00 PM. Back at marina tomorrow night. :confused:

I think part of the reason sailboats anchor overnight more than motorboats could be their slower speed and dependence on favourable wind conditions.

A planing motorboat can go out for the day to a pleasant anchorage and be back to a marina for the evening. At the sailboat's slower speed this may not be possible in many areas.

Also, the wind tends to pick up in the middle of the day in many regions. As such that is the time motorboats like to be anchored and sailboats sailing. In the morning and evening it is the other way around.

Last edited:
"
separator.gif
If the cost of fuel for the genny is more than or close to the cost of a stay at a marina, why bother?"

There is the difference!

Most sail boats are self sufficient and do not need a noisemaker for all the "comforts" of home.

Power Dockside cottages that require the shore power hose , will need lots of noisemaker to not go dead .

At $5.00 to $10.00 per hour for all up expenses for the noisemaker , the $5.00 per ft dock for O'nite looks cheaper.

The 50 Gallon hot shower and dishwasher can be enjoyed in peace and quiet , no PM or other requirements like load control.

Just like home in a dirt house.

As with many questions, the answers are somewhat geographically dependent.

3. Do sailors use their boats more often and for longer periods of time?

We're constantly shocked at our marina how seldom the sailboaters take their boats out, and even more shocked at how seldom they come to check on their own boats...

mike

For us folks in the south..there is a definite need for AC. No way I'm staying on my boat without it.
So it's either run the genny or plug in.
Im not looking to rough it that much!

I'm new to TF and just beginning my search for the perfect trawler (aka the "unicorn"). I can already tell that this site - and your posts - will be valuable.

Welcome CDreamer. Not sure if the unicorn exists. Everything has compromise. While we enjoy the economy of our Albin, sometimes I look at something planing as it passes me with envy. You have to make a list of the items you are not willing to do without, then look for a boat that meets those expectations. Then I think about how much fuel the planing hull burned versus what we burned.....

Mike

PS- IslandDreamer is actually my wife's handle...

Prefer a free guest slip at a reciprocatin' yacht club anytime over anchorin.' Never been in a yacht club bar I didn't like.

I'm fine with most power boaters docking for the night. Much rather have less boats at the anchorage or mooring field. If you're only stopping for the night, it's far easier to drop a hook than go though all the drama at the average marina. As others have mentioned, many boats and owners can't seem to survive without the marina umbilicals. The part that makes me chuckle is if it weren't for being on a boat, to me, most marinas have the appeal of a mobile home park.

Ted

If we are looking for the amenities of a town (restaurants, shopping, etc...) we prefer to tie up at a marina. If we are looking to just relax and get away, then I prefer to either anchor somewhere or go to one of our Yacht Clubs outstations.

The part that makes me chuckle is if it weren't for being on a boat, to me, most marinas have the appeal of a mobile home park.

Ted

The appeal of marinas isn't the marina itself, although I've been to some incredibly appealing marinas. It's that you're on the water but can very quickly and easily get to see what you want to see on land. If we had no interest in the destination and no need for fuel or pump out, then we'd anchor. While we like nice marinas, we really don't need their amenities that much. Now, if they have nice tennis courts or a spa or even for some of our guests, golf courses, that's ok, but really we can generate our own electricity, make our own water, treat our own waste where legal, and have satellite for television and internet. It's just if we're going to spend three days playing around Ocean City, MD, going to the amusement parks there, to the beach, to the Life Saving Station Museum, checking out Blu Crabhouse, Hobbit, and Longhouse, then rather than making ten dinghy trips back and forth, we'd prefer just to walk up the dock. We'll then use the RIB only to explore the area around there.

Number of people is a factor too. On the boat we're on at the moment, we have 8 people aboard, but our RIB will only seat 5 people.

Back
Top Bottom