McMurry Windlass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeep09

Veteran Member
I have found a lot of information on rebuildable parts for these windlass's that were built in Seattle

I believe only one model . What is an equivalent in a new windlass for power etc. ?

Those windlasses are pretty solid and I think totally rebuilable, even to reversible. Unless you want to replace it, you may not need to.

Anything with a 350lbs pull or more should have as much pull

Attachments

• McMurry_Anchor_Winch.pdf
    529.6 KB · Views: 32
Don't be too quick to just replace it. Have you approached a starter/alternator rebuilding shop?

A lot of them should be able to rebuild the motor. If the motor is truly fried then they may be able to replace the motor with a good replacement since if memory serves they were a car starter motor and although old should be replaceable.

If yours is up only then ask the shop if they can wire the leads for reversing.
I saw on the sheets provided that the unit was reversible but maybe as an option. ASK. The original owner may have simple ignored it.

The rest of the windlass may just need some real cleanup , real servicing such as oil re/re, grease, new seals and bushings.

I knew one woman who loved that windlass, stripped it of paint and polished the bronze case to a high polish and kept it that way. I'm not suggesting you do that but they were/are solid pieces of equipment.

What is wrong with yours? What have you done so far?

As far as replacements go: Lofrans, Muir, Maxwell, Lewmar.
But they will cost you likely $2500-$3000 ++ for the windlass alone plus all the wiring and controls, and the changes/ deck repairs needed for a new windlass.
I did mine about 5 yrs ago and I figure I spent about 40 hours [ I did not really track it], and about $5,000 all told. THat was my own labour.

Before jumping ask those shops and ask around your marina as many people will likely have shop recommendations, even some independents who after retirements still do some on the side work.

Last edited:
Currently is in working condition, we will be an owner soon & have put the windlass on the maintenance list.

I have an excellent local shop to freshen up the electric motor

Bearings etc , I have located online

RC Plath has the chain Wild Cat plates available, have to verify this part.

Do a search on 'Mcmurray'. There is a posting I did with a bunch of the info I tracked down when in a similar position. Replaced bearings and the engine. It is a beast, pulling 200' of chain and an 88 lb Mantis.

Wildcat chain issues

Who has a McMurry windlass on their Tolly? I have only
1/4” chain on ours and I would like to switch to 5/16”
does anyone know which type fits the wildcat 3B or G4?
My current 1/4” chain hops when deploying, has anyone
ever slowed down the motor? Or is my wildcat worn? I
love this windlass and would like to keep it as it is simple.
Any parts suppliers or suggestions are greatly
appreciated

When I got my GB42 back in 1986, the McMurry was connected to only retrieve. Sometime later, an alternator shop alerted me to the fact that the motor was bi-directional, and a ran the wiring to make that happen.

Back
Top Bottom