Extending bow roller

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Packer fan

Veteran Member
I would like to get a different anchor because I have found that the claw doesn’t set great in the southern part of Lake Michigan. At least not on my previous boat. I currently have a 44lb claw and would like to move to a s100 spade. My problem is that the spade has a longer shank and will not fit very well on my bow roller. It will be very close to the bow of the boat when being pulled up and also will run into the windlass before being completely stowed. The running into the windlass part could be dealt with by securing it to the Sampson post and leaving the shank go to the side of the windlass. My biggest problem with this is that if it were rough out I would not like to send someone to the bow to secure it. I would rather winch it up and release the tension on the windlass when conditions allow. It seems that most if not all bow rollers are made to only hang off the bow 10 to 12 inches. I could really use another 3 or 4 inches. Another option is to go for the s80 spade that would fit as is. It looks like that is on the edge of range for my boat a Nordic tugs 37.

Thanks

Would a bigger roller help? My American Tug bow sprit was designed for the claw anchor, with a small diameter roller. I gave away the claw as it isn't a very good anchor, and was able to make the Spade fit by swapping to a very large bow roller and repositioning it in the sprit. The claw wants to settle on the roller in the hard angle of the shank, while the Spade wants to pull up somewhere in the middle of the curved shank.

Originally:
5tXw0az.jpg

Changed to:
Drc34CI.jpg

With Spade:
i8LWHsB.jpg

GOKEbJ9.jpg

Awesome idea, wow, creative solution

I went up to the Spade 100lb & found the shank is much longer than I expected (bow was fine but kept stripping the vertical Gypsy on my Maxwell 3500.) It might also be easier to go with a Rocna or Vulcan (both “next gen anchors”) which have shorter shanks. Manufacturers templates are definitely your friend here.

Having recently hooked up on a bombie out at the reef, the extra loading that can be exerted by a bit of extra leverage is not to be underestimated.

We were watching 1/2 inch s/s plate with vertical roller webs flex alarmingly and had 1/2 inch chain deforned

I am sure if we had those sticky out anchor arrangements that Fleming's have, we would have torn it off

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom