Best place to store a second anchor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rslifkin

Guru
Vessel Name
Hour Glass
Vessel Make
Chris Craft 381 Catalina
I've been giving some thought to better places to stow a second anchor on my boat and so far, I've come up pretty much blank.

Currently I've got a Fortress stowed in the storage area under the forward cabin with the rode in a milk crate next to it. It's not an ideal solution though, as it's not super quick to access and I have to carry it through the cabin to use it (which hasn't happened in 3 years since I put it down there). It's also an easy target on the hit list for getting some weight out of the bow.

There's no lazarette on this boat (aft cabin bulkhead is only 6 inches from the transom) so that knocks the obvious choice off the list. Storing the anchor on a mount on the stern rail would be easy enough, but what do I do with the rode? Thoughts?

We used to keep the second anchor rode in a large canvas tote bag. Kept the chain on top with a shackle attached. Then used S/S zip ties to secure the pin in the shackle.

I have a divided chain locker, which holds the ride for the second anchor (which is sized as if it were the primary). The anchor is a large Excell alloy anchor which breaks down in two pieces. There is a 6 inch deck opening with a seal, through which I can reach and grab the end of the rode (hung on a hook near the opening). I can pull the rode up, attach it to the anchor, and deploy. The rode is primarily 8 plaît with a 30 foot chain. It uses the rope drum on the windlass

The Fortress breaks down nicely. It sounds like it really is a backup for you.

I carry several spare anchors and rodes. But all in deep storage. It would take some effort to get a second anchor deployed. But I have high confidence in my primary system and have not recently had any reason to set a second anchor.

I guess it depends on how often or how fast you need to deploy the anchor.

The Fortress breaks down nicely. It sounds like it really is a backup for you.

I carry several spare anchors and rodes. But all in deep storage. It would take some effort to get a second anchor deployed. But I have high confidence in my primary system and have not recently had any reason to set a second anchor.

I guess it depends on how often or how fast you need to deploy the anchor.

That's pretty much how I've been operating so far. It's connected to the rode in storage, but it would still have a few minutes to pull the hatch, climb down, unstrap it and then carry it up on deck.

I figure it's not bad as is, but it wouldn't hurt to have it more accessible and the weight further back in the boat if a good solution comes up.

Ours is in a milk crate in the lazarette. Not ideal. Best place would be on a second set up next to the fitted anchor, but we lack the capacity for that.

We bought a slick little bracket that lets us hang our Fortress FX-37 on our bow rail at the pulpit. It's not pretty, but it's right where it makes sense to keep it.

Attachments

• DJI_0223.jpg
    DJI_0223.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 66
We bought a slick little bracket that lets us hang our Fortress FX-37 on our bow rail at the pulpit. It's not pretty, but it's right where it makes sense to keep it.

That's kinda what I was thinking for the stern rail. How do you store the rode for yours?

That's kinda what I was thinking for the stern rail. How do you store the rode for yours?

I used a plastic rope spool I found, had some extra rail tubing and bought a couple rail fittings to clamp across 2 stern stanchions. Actually had 2 spools of line...one 100 and one 50 feet for anchor or towing or extra long dock lines.

I have a couple of spare anchors. A hefty Danforth is in the lazarette, rode in a milk crate and is occasionally used as a stern anchor. My primary anchor is a galvanised steel SARCA Excel #8. I have another Excel #8, an alloy one, that is simply assembled by sliding the shank through the slot. I keep it in one of the lockers accessed from inside of the Portuguese bridge, with its 1" nylon rode lying on top of it. Take it out of the locker, walk forward 10' and I'm at the bow, so it can be deployed quickly if needed.

SARCA Excel Alloy Anchor - Anchor Right Australia

If you have a pulpit...:socool:

Attachments

• Copy of MSI for sale 011.jpg
    Copy of MSI for sale 011.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 40
  • Picture 051.jpg
    Picture 051.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 31
If you have a pulpit...:socool:

I do, but the current anchor roller goes through a slot in the middle of the pulpit. So fitting 2 anchors on there was never a thought in the design. I could probably come up with a rig that would stow and launch the Fortress over the top / front of the pulpit and avoid the 2 anchors interfering with each other, but that would make things stick out even further up forward and wouldn't cover the situation of wanting to use the Fortress somewhere other than the bow.

1st picture is how I originally had it set up.
2nd pic is laying the pulpit out in my garage to move the second anchor to the always ready position.
3rd pic is the new setup.
I had to deploy a second anchor 2 times in a hurry and having it ready on the bow saved the boat.

Attachments

• IMG_0908.jpg
    IMG_0908.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_10401 (7).jpg
    IMG_10401 (7).jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 29
I keep the rode under the V-berth in the forward stateroom. It stays clean and dry there.

I keep the rode under the V-berth in the forward stateroom. It stays clean and dry there.

Ok, so similar to where I've got mine stored currently. The big egg storage spot under the forward berth has the vacuum cleaner in it currently, but there's under floor storage below that where the crate of rode lives (hatch in front of the berth for access).

Ok, so similar to where I've got mine stored currently. The big egg storage spot under the forward berth has the vacuum cleaner in it currently, but there's under floor storage below that where the crate of rode lives (hatch in front of the berth for access).

In the first year, I kept the extra rode in the laz, but my rudder shaft packing leaked at the time, so it was always wet and nasty and the rode got really disgusting. I cleaned it up with fresh water, dried it thoroughly, and moved it to the V berth where it's been ever since. I have no plans to use the second anchor and rode, I just carry it in case I lose the first anchor and want to keep cruising. I also carry 300 feet of 8 plait rope in the v berth that I add to my 200 feet of primary rode (all chain) when anchoring in deep water. That gets rinsed in fresh water and thoroughly dried before storing.

Sometimes you can hang rodes in tasteful ways.IMG_20221010_185216649_MP.jpg

I was looking at rail hangers for my Fortress anchor and saw that they may not work if the anchor has Mud Palms. The palms are bent so that they will not slide into the hanger. I wonder if it will fit inverted?

I also found this https://anchorstow.com/product/stow-custom/

I have always thought of a second anchor as a "safety device". There can be times when a stern anchor or kedge anchor is needed "right now". Examples might be engine failure, steering gear failure or running aground. Thus the second anchor is placed where it is quickly available. I have often used the bracket linked to by "Mischief Managed" where the palms of a Fortress or Danforth HT. can be placed, and then a light line to another part of the railing. I would keep the coiled alternate line (and short chain) either coiled and secured to the railing next to the anchor, or in a canvas bag / milk crate, with the shackle ready to be attached to the anchor, and seizing Monel wire open to mouse the shackle when attached. These allow mounting so the shank can be up, down or even sideways.

42-2122-2T.jpg

When I was doing long distance cruising, I carried from 5 to 6 anchors. 3 were for specific bottom types. The others were main or secondary back ups. If you loose an anchor, or have to "cut and run" replacement anchors may be might difficult to find in some remote areas.

CC381 Second Anchor Mounting

Rob,

I solved the second anchor mounting issue on my former 1981 Chris-Craft 381 Catalina by installing a rail mounting bracket as noted by others to hold the original Danforth 22S on the bow rail. I had a deck mounted bracket with a locking pin to hold the eye end of the shank. It worked really well, very secure and not in the way. I stored the rode in the anchor locker through the original deck pipe with the bitter end unsecured as I often used this anchor as a stern anchor. It was very convenient and quick to deploy, especially compared to how the previous owner stored the Danforth and rode in under seat storage on the aft deck.

Attachments

• 20210808_143529.jpg
    20210808_143529.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 14

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom