Xantrex Freedom 458 Charger Inverter Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sidclark

Vessel Name
Jubilee
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 36 Sundeck
We're a few days from heading south and it looks like our mechanic is going to flake out on us. The genny is only putting out 55volts at the moment. As a back up I'm looking to purchase a Honda 2000. The only use would be to charge batteries. I have a 660 amp hour bank and 750 watts of solar, so I don't expect to use the Honda all that often. The question is will the Honda run the charger? It's rated at 100 amps. I've scoured the manuals and don't believe there's a way to adjust the 100 amps to a lower value. Is there a way that anyone knows of to change that value if I have to? The Honda would feed right into the shore power outlet.

When you first start charging your discharged (to no lower than 50%) batteries that charger will probably pull 15-20 amps AC. That is within the maximum output spec of the Honda EU2200 but more than its continuous spec which is probably less than 15 amps. But the 15-20 amps will only be for maybe 15 minutes and I suspect after that will be below 15.

So it will be close.

If you want to make sure you have plenty of power, buy a Honda EU3000.

David

When you first start charging your discharged (to no lower than 50%) batteries that charger will probably pull 15-20 amps AC. That is within the maximum output spec of the Honda EU2200 but more than its continuous spec which is probably less than 15 amps. But the 15-20 amps will only be for maybe 15 minutes and I suspect after that will be below 15.

So it will be close.

If you want to make sure you have plenty of power, buy a Honda EU3000.

David

I checked EU3000 out and was concerned about the noise factor. Have you heard one run?

Check out the predator 3500 inverter generator from harbor freight. Use a coupon or catch it on sale to sweeten the deal. Just a knockoff Honda.

Perhaps, when on shore power, place a clamp AC Ammeter over the AC feed to your Charger to get an idea of how many AC amps the Charger is pulling? A DC charging voltage of about 14 VDC at 100 Amps is already 1400 watts, plus inefficiencies of the Charger, so steady state draw is likely over 1500 watts. As prior post stated, this may be close to the steady-state capacity of a "2000 watt" Honda generator (research the Honda spec's).

Perhaps, when on shore power, place a clamp AC Ammeter over the AC feed to your Charger to get an idea of how many AC amps the Charger is pulling? A DC charging voltage of about 14 VDC at 100 Amps is already 1400 watts, plus inefficiencies of the Charger, so steady state draw is likely over 1500 watts. As prior post stated, this may be close to the steady-state capacity of a "2000 watt" Honda generator (research the Honda spec's).

Sounds like it would be close. The Honda is rated 2000 watt surge and 1800 watts continuous. Anything bigger then a 2000 watt genny would probably be too noisy. If the freakin' mechanic would show up this would all be a moot excercise....

We're a few days from heading south and it looks like our mechanic is going to flake out on us. The genny is only putting out 55volts at the moment. As a back up I'm looking to purchase a Honda 2000. The only use would be to charge batteries. I have a 660 amp hour bank and 750 watts of solar, so I don't expect to use the Honda all that often. The question is will the Honda run the charger? It's rated at 100 amps. I've scoured the manuals and don't believe there's a way to adjust the 100 amps to a lower value. Is there a way that anyone knows of to change that value if I have to? The Honda would feed right into the shore power outlet.

If your generator is putting out 55 volts then it should not be hard to figure out. depending on the generator end type, and voltage regulation type you could have a rotating rectifier open, or a bridge rectifier, or a voltage regulator out.

I can tell you from first hand experience the Honda 2000 will not power your inverter charger. Consider also if you are using the internal transfer switch it will be passing current to not only the charger function but also to the loads on the panel it supplies.

You might check out the Predator 3500 at Harbor Freight. It's quieter than the Honda less expensive and also has a 30 amp outlet that you can plug your shore power cord directly into. I carry one as a back-up now. The only downside is it's a bit larger and heavier.

Look at Kipors, they are supposedly made in the same factory as the Hondas. Parts are said to be interchangeable. Kipors are very popular in Europe, not so much here. Partially because Honda has put pressure on dealers carrying Kipors to not carry them.

A few years ago, I was looking at Kipors and called a place in Canada that widely distributed them. The guy told me Honda was putting pressure on him to not carry them.

Kipor IG3000 Inverter Generator

We used to have a Honda 2000. It would run one of the A/C units in our motorhome. Don’t know about the inverter. But maybe get a portable charger and hook it to the batteries when needed. Just bypass the inverter completely.

Good suggestion about the separate battery charger and run it with the Honda 2000. I would be surprised if your Xantrex does not have adjustable output. Have you tried searching the setup menu on the inverter/charger or looking online for the manual?

There must be a way to adjust the charge output. That is something that must be adjusted for the size of the battery bank you have. In my Magnum manual for the remote control it explains how to do it. Have you checked yours?

I have a Honda generator I carry as a back up but I need to turn the inverter amps down to about 35 for it to work.

Just food for thought. I would think the charger is one that is automatic. Just an example, if the batteries are down 20% the charger would sense that and lower its output. Yes?

With a 700 watt solar and the main engine. How low are you going to discharge the batteries?

Ok, an update. I searched both the 458 manual and the Link 1000 manual and could not find a way to adjust that parameter. You can change battery types and that's about all as far as I can tell. Anyway, the good news is I gave up on the original mechanic and was recommended another one. He showed up right on time and explained to me that the genny loads and shore power loads all pass though the Xantrex. I guess for automatic switching purposes. He cleared an error code and now all is well. The genny is putting out 120 volts. He loaded it up with the A/C, water heater and a space heater running and it held solid. Charged me $174 bucks. Now that's a deal. I still think I would like to have something for a backup though....

Sid
I noticed that Jubille was not at Harbourgate this morning, so I assume you are heading South with a stop at Osprey. Please tell me the name of the fellow who solved the generator issue.
Thanks
Cliff

Sid
I noticed that Jubille was not at Harbourgate this morning, so I assume you are heading South with a stop at Osprey. Please tell me the name of the fellow who solved the generator issue.
Thanks
Cliff

His name is Everett Travis. The guy is awesome. He also replaced all our exhaust hose on the main engine.
843-458-2576

I'm at the Waccamaw River Tours dock, which is just south of Osprey. I drive the tour boat in the summer, so we are able to use the dock here.

Back
Top Bottom