Where to find this circuit breaker?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bustlebomb

Vessel Name
Snooker (for now.....)
Vessel Make
1981 34 Californian LRC
Hi all,

Looks like I need to replace the 110 circuit breaker for my hot water heater. The old one works but has started making a slight sizzling sound which is never a good sign.

Obviously I’d like to replace it with one that looks exactly the same as all the other breakers on the boat but so far, I’ve been unable to find one.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Attachments

• IMG_6304.jpg
    IMG_6304.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 16
They are in all the chandleries. Look for Carling switch.

What does the other side of the breaker look like? That’s the side that might be harder to match.

Hi all,

Looks like I need to replace the 110 circuit breaker for my hot water heater. The old one works but has started making a slight sizzling sound which is never a good sign.

Obviously I’d like to replace it with one that looks exactly the same as all the other breakers on the boat but so far, I’ve been unable to find one.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

I would suggest you replace the hot water heater with a cold water heater, also known as a water heater. The only folks I know that heat hot water are aircraft carriers when making superheated steam to use in aircraft launch catapults.

I would suggest you replace the hot water heater with a cold water heater, also known as a water heater. The only folks I know that heat hot water are aircraft carriers when making superheated steam to use in aircraft launch catapults.

Nothing better to do today?

As far as a circuit breaker sizzling...is it internal or the loose connection behind it?

If not lots of sources for common breakers...just a question of how the backside connects to a buss bar or is wired.....

What does the other side of the breaker look like? That’s the side that might be harder to match.

Exactly,pull it out and see if there is a label on it. Looks like an Airpax from the front but no way of knowing for sure.

I had to source some used ones on Ebay to fit my buss bar properly. The only way to match it 100% (what I have found anyway) is used off Ebay. The new ones will fit in the slot, and the screw holes will match up, but the breaker switch will look slightly different and the buss bar most likely could not be reused. I found a whole panel off Ebay with perfect breakers for $80.

They're more than likely 40 year old breakers. IMHO, in such situations, if one is going, the rest are now suspect. At that vintage, I'd just replace them all. Salt air eventually gets into everything. It's a good time to asses the wire terminals and fasteners at the same time. The right way is rarely the easy way.

Exactly,pull it out and see if there is a label on it. Looks like an Airpax from the front but no way of knowing for sure.

And those are Airpax. Your right. Same exact ones in my 1979 MT.

These are “A” or “C” Series breakers absolutely available everywhere. A photo of the back of the breakers will help positively id them.

My recommendation is to not even consider used circuit breakers. The risk is just too high.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom