Useful but simple satellite weather systems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rgano

Guru
Vessel Name
FROLIC
Vessel Make
Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Greg QS neatly answered a question I posed here about getting satellite weather on a Garmin plotter, but the highly UN-tech friend on whose boat I installed a Gamin 1040 XS a few years ago has done a bit of research and found from Garmin that he would be on the iffy side of weather reception with the older sat antenna compatible with his plotter. The Garmin rep was apparently unable to give him an idea about the subscription costs telling him he'd find after the installation of the Garmin antenna. He also told my friend that the deeper he went into the Bahamas, the iffier connectivity might be.

So now my friend is asking about other ways to get sat weather like maybe a dedicated antenna/display. He already does the Bahamas cell phone thing when he goes over there, and that might be his best bet. However, a dedicated system which is relatively simple to operate would suit him as well.

Anybody got a system they like for this application?

How about a Starlink antenna and pick the weather service of your choice off the internet.

Ted

Agree with Ted. The advantage with Starlink is you can use many different weather apps that notify you of impending weather events on your smart phone.

Tom

Perhaps take a look at the service available on Garmin InReach? I have an InReach but have not tried the weather subscription. But I did have it on an Avionics unit in a Cessna and it was quite good.

Thanks, guys. I am passing this information on as you post it.

If you have cell phone coverage in the Bahamas, that is going to be your best/cheapest route. I had SiriusXM weather all the way down to the Exumas on Raymarine equipment. But something like PredictWind off of cellular internet is far better.

The InReach weather seems relatively useless, the marine version not available in many places that it really should be (like most of the PNW cruising area). What is needed is a simple reflector that would accept your SMS text of weather reporting zone and respond with the text forecast for the area from NOAA or EC or whatever local authority. Incoming SMS are free on InReach. Could be set up to simply send it every morning. I have threatened to set this up myself, it doesn't look difficult to do. I would not expect Garmin to fix this, they are pretty much useless and anything.

I took a quick look at Starlink maritime. Did my eyes betray me or was that a 5 boat unit monthly subscription???

Rgano - I have IridiumGO connected to PredictWind. I have used Garmin InReach which is pretty simple to use, but does not give nearly as much actionable information as PredictWind/IridiumGO. IridumGO is pretty slow so really just basic email, some voice if needed (emergency). $150/mo plus cost of PredictWind subscription ($250/yr is likely the one most select). IridiumGO can be idled to pause the billing, but best is to just terminate the SIM card and use a new one when ready to cruise again ($10 for new SIM card).

I have not used Starlink but it should be easier and less expensive. Personally, once I get going, I'll probably hold-off on Starlink as I don't want constant internet. I spend too much time on TrawlerForum because TF scratches my cruising itch while I wait for Weebles to slowly get finished (grrr....). So I'll keep IridiumGO for at least a year and ween myself off connectivity, maybe longer.

Peter

Watch this video (This is a new video) on new developments concerning Starlink in motion... Very important bit at 9:30, if you are inpatient... Terms of Service has been changed.

Back
Top Bottom