Starlink

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have an American based starlink.

I just ordered a new RV unit from the Mexican Starlink site.

We'll see what I get. I'm going to take my American one and eventually move the address to Mexico, but for now it was easier to just buy a new one in Mexico

:thumb:

Kevin: How much was the RV unit in Mexico? I’ve read that StarLink costs based on the country you are living/ordering from. They are trying to get the pricing more in line with the countries cost of living or at least close.

:thumb:

Kevin: How much was the RV unit in Mexico? I’ve read that StarLink costs based on the country you are living/ordering from. They are trying to get the pricing more in line with the countries cost of living or at least close.

Last I saw Mexico it was way less, Musk is trying to price it based on the standard of living... found this

https://mexicoliving.org/how-to-get-starlink-in-mexico/

How much does Starlink cost?
As Starlink has attracted more customers in Mexico and across the world, the cost of service has gone down. Before August 2022, customers in Mexico paid about $115 USD or 2299 pesos. The price was reduced 52% to $55 USD or 1100 pesos per month. The hardware kits for installation were also reduced by 16% from $495 USD or 9896 pesos to $415 USD or 8300 pesos. Shipping of the hardware kit was previously about $70 USD or 1420 pesos and is now free of charge.

Larry, the cost of the RV is not $2500, what am I missing?
The Can$ cost is $759

Steve: You have the option when ordering for the standard or the “In-motion” unit. From their web site in US dollars from my ordering address:

Attachments

• 718B101D-9B7F-46D5-A3F6-BCE461DFB2BB.jpg
    718B101D-9B7F-46D5-A3F6-BCE461DFB2BB.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 35
Kevin,

When you get your new system can you tell us the highlights of the account terms?PSNEELD, mentioned that Starlink just dropped the monthly price by 50% in Mexico. They did the same thing in France a few months back and along with the price reduction placed a data cap on the account of 250GB where you could buy additional GB at 10 Euros per 100.

Tom

Thanks Larry under the pricing I mentioned there is a line they have it available but no price I guess is mentioned until you are into the ordering process. No Thanks, the RV will do just fine and I plan to wait a few more months to place the order, maybe Santa will surprise me.

$8300 for the unit and $1100 per month for the service.

Had it in for a bit over a week on ours in anticipation of heading north, and then the fridge died :rolleyes:
Will be seriously pissed off it they decide to stop RV from working at low speed
Won't be worth it to me to upgrade, not unless they upgrade how far out it works as well.
Happy to accept speed and data caps as a tradeoff for range.

That’s a great deal and what a game changer for cruising.

Yep, at $1100 pesos a month it's a no brainer.

Even if they cap it at 250G a month there is almost no way to use that kind of data.

that is averaging two HD movies every day

Last edited:
First Look: Starlink Flat High Performance Dish for In-Motion RV Satellite Internet

First Look: Starlink Flat High Performance Dish for In-Motion RV Satellite Internet

Looks like 2x the power consumption, which isn't great. But it is designed for the application. I'd probably lean toward using the older cheaper dish & replacing every few years if corrosion is a problem - the tech will probably get better anyway, and no real need to have it work while underway.

But the normal dish works while underway anyway

But the normal dish works while underway anyway

Yes, it does. I have one and it works well. But I have confined usage to being docked and at anchor, not while going from place to place. The Terms of service have changed:

IN-MOTION USE PROHIBITED FOR UNDESIGNATED KITS AND COUNTRIES. YOU ARE PROHIBITED FROM INSTALLING OR USING A KIT ON A MOVING VEHICLE OR VESSEL UNLESS STARLINK HAS DESIGNATED YOUR SPECIFIC KIT MODEL AND/OR MOUNT FOR IN-MOTION USE AND HAS OBTAINED ALL REQUIRED IN-MOTION APPROVALS IN THE COUNTRY OF USE. SERVICES IN-MOTION ON A VEHICLE OR VESSEL (e.g., CARS, VANS, RVs, BOATS) VIA AN UNAUTHORIZED KIT OR COUNTRY IS PROHIBITED, WILL VOID THE LIMITED WARRANTY OF YOUR KIT, AND MAY BE GROUNDS FOR TERMINATION OF YOUR AGREEMENT WITH STARLINK PER SECTION 7.6 OF THESE TERMS. Visit https://www.starlink.com/specifications for a description of the Starlink Kit models designated for in-motion use.

Any thoughts on whether mounting it on top of my closed array radar would created interference problems? I wouldn’t think so because the radar emits to the sides and the cable which would cross the radar beam path to come down inside looks to be well shielded.

Hard to take seriously or adhere to TOS when they themselves are constantly moving.

True, but they are giving fair warning. You can peel an orange with a hammer but perhaps it is best to use the right tool to peel that orange. If you plan on using Starlink in motion it is perhaps best to us the system designed and recognized by Starlink for in motion use.

True, but they are giving fair warning. You can peel an orange with a hammer but perhaps it is best to use the right tool to peel that orange. If you plan on using Starlink in motion it is perhaps best to us the system designed and recognized by Starlink for in motion use.

Until they change the TOS on that one week after I get it and say now I must buy the purple version.

They knew that this new version was coming out several weeks ago yet made no mention of it and sold the old version at $950.
Then one week after I bought it dropped it to $425 and won't refund the difference
Now they want me to upgrade the antenna?

Tempted to send it all back for full refund and look at it again later when they have their **** sorted.

Last edited:
Looks like progress. They are gaining on it.

Good news for me - after a 2nd go at getting a refund and suggesting data instead of coin, they have done that.

Wife chipped a tooth last night so now I can give that $400 to the dentist.

Until they change the TOS on that one week after I get it and say now I must buy the purple version.

They knew that this new version was coming out several weeks ago yet made no mention of it and sold the old version at $950.
Then one week after I bought it dropped it to $425 and won't refund the difference
Now they want me to upgrade the antenna?

Tempted to send it all back for full refund and look at it again later when they have their **** sorted.

If the return window is still open for you then you should send it back. Wait a couple of weeks then order one at a lower price. Or as you say wait till it all sorts out.

If the return window is still open for you then you should send it back. Wait a couple of weeks then order one at a lower price. Or as you say wait till it all sorts out.

Return window open but I got the refund in data instead of money, see above post.

In motion dish is not being offered in Australia so couldn't upgrade if I wanted to
And it won't be a lower price, it will be considerably more expense from what I am reading.

I am going with the Flat/HP. I noticed this version comes with a shorter
(26 ft.) cable than the original model and I will probably need just a tad more than that. If anyone hears of a longer cable being made available through Starlink or after market, please let me know.

(26 ft.) cable than the original model and I will probably need just a tad more than that. If anyone hears of a longer cable being made available through Starlink or after market, please let me know.

I'm curious where you plan to mount it, and where to keep the router? I'll be headed there too, sometime after commissioning, once that dust settles down, and it feels like time to take on a project.

Just looked on the Starlink shop and they appear to have 30m cables already available for the new high performance flat

Screenshot-2022-11-05-19-15-30.png

I'm curious where you plan to mount it, and where to keep the router? I'll be headed there too, sometime after commissioning, once that dust settles down, and it feels like time to take on a project.

I currently have the motorized starlink mounted to an 8ft piece of pvc on the upper deck rail. The line is ziptied around the rails and enters through the flybridge helm.

The pepwave transit 5g router is mounted in the centerline cabinet above the microwave.

Still trying to figure out a spot for the flat high performance antenna. My pilot house roof is already filled with solar panels so that is out.

Might look at options for above the bimini on the flybridge.

Just looked on the Starlink shop and they appear to have 30m cables already available for the new high performance flat

Screenshot-2022-11-05-19-15-30.png

Thanks, that is great to hear. But I think you need to have purchased a Starlink system before they will allow access to the Star Shop. I am close to pulling the trigger, but not quite there yet.

Attachments

• 1A388E91-609A-4CB6-9BB6-B598F6C076C9.jpg
    1A388E91-609A-4CB6-9BB6-B598F6C076C9.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 24
Thanks, that is great to hear they have a longer cable available. But I think you need to have purchased a Starlink system before they will allow access to the Star Shop. I am close to pulling the trigger, but not quite there yet.

Mod’s- I posted the wrong attachment on the previous post, so you can delete that one and save this one. TY.

Attachments

• 5C89E81D-CBB8-486D-BA3D-036858E44913.jpg
    5C89E81D-CBB8-486D-BA3D-036858E44913.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 27
Yesterday, I received this email notice from Starlink... I am a residential customer with portability. I use the system on my boat at the dock and while anchored.

To ensure our customer base is not negatively impacted by a small number of users consuming unusually high amounts of data, the Starlink team is implementing a Fair Use policy in the US and Canada in December 2022.

Based on your data usage over the last six months, this policy will have no impact on your service if your usage patterns stay the same.

Under the Fair Use policy, all Residential customers will receive unlimited data, and will start each month with Priority Access, which means their data usage will be prioritized during times of network congestion.

Customers who exceed 1 TB of data use on a monthly basis (currently < 10% of users) will automatically be switched to Basic Access for the remainder of the billing cycle, which means their data usage will be deprioritized during times of network congestion, resulting in slower speeds.

Data used between 11pm - 7am will not count towards your Priority Access.

Starting today, you can now monitor your data usage on your account page. Read more in Starlink’s Fair Use policy and in the Terms of Service.

Thank you for being an early customer and for your continued support of Starlink!

Starlink Team

NOTE: The Terms of Service also include updates on using the HP Flat Starlink designed for in-motion use. By continuing your use of Starlink, you agree to be subject to the Fair Use policy and the updated Privacy Policy and Terms of Service. If you do not agree to these changes, you can cancel your Starlink Services at any time on your account page.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom