Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 w/Navionics &/or Aqua Map

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PJHoffnet

Vessel Name
Changes in L'Attitudes
Vessel Make
1999 Maxum 4100 SCA (not a trawler)
Would like to hear from any user that is currently running either Navionics, or Aqua Map (or even BOTH at the same time) on a Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 (4GB ram; 64GB internal storage).

The price on these tabs have dropped so low it’s probably time for me to replace my old tablets with new ones.

I use the two tablets as complementary tools along with my primary MFD (a SIMRAD NSS 12 evo 3).

I have been using a Tab A7 3gb ram 64gb mem wifi only with Navionics app. Works great. Just have to download charts and plot routes when connected to wifi. Or use phone as a hotspot.

I have the Samsung S7+ (10" screen) with Aquamaps. I'm very happy with Aquamaps and really appreciate the map updates that happen several times per year. Nice to have both Active Captain and Waterway Guide information available.

The one caution is that using any of these apps in moving map format consumes lots of power. So plan to have it plugged in when using it.

16821143327424323226444197909236.jpg

Ted

One of our Tabs is an A8, at least one generation (maybe two) older than current products. Works fine fo AquaMap. Can't speak to Navionics.

-Chris

Would like to hear from any user that is currently running either Navionics, or Aqua Map (or even BOTH at the same time) on a Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 (4GB ram; 64GB internal storage).

The price on these tabs have dropped so low it’s probably time for me to replace my old tablets with new ones.

I use the two tablets as complementary tools along with my primary MFD (a SIMRAD NSS 12 evo 3).
I run Navionics and Aquamaps on the A7. I have 32 GB storage. I am loaded up. The 64 GB is a good choice. Very pleased with mine and it's performance. I run both apps at the same time. No problem.

Thanks to all ... I'm gonna get the Admirals ok (she'll say yes) and order.

@ O C Diver ... Our 'personal' tablets are S7s ... love them. Didn't want to use them up on the helm for day to day navigating. Was going to 'hold out' until Google releases their new Pixel based tablet later this year, and then use our 'now old' S7s up on the helm, but - again - at the current price point for the A8s figured we'd just make the jump now.

I used an old A8 w Navionics back in 2019 while cruising.
I started with the idea it would provide access to Active Capt data and didn't think much about charts as I had a larger MFD.
I found myself using Navionics on the Tab in conjunction with the MFD and appreciated features of both.
Tab / Navionics did auto routing which provided a reliable track cruising the Trent Severn Waterway and Georgian Bay inland small craft route where plotting same on MFD would have taken hundreds of waypoints and an impossible amount if time.
I also found myself grabbing the Tab frequently when talking to other boaters about sight, anchorages and other local knowledge. Easy way to view a charted area and plant push pins and make notes to self.

In a summer I only found one instance where Navionics auto route did not follow the centerline of marked channels. The one time it took a short cut that had plenty of water and no hazards when I stopped to verify leaving the channel was safe.
For the price I would highly recommend it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom