Old 08-09-2022, 10:50 PM   #1

City: Canberra
Vessel Name: Blu Emu
Vessel Model: Ligure 50' aluminium power catamaran
Radar, AIS to fly, then to main cabin?

We have a flybridge with autopilot and MFD, and a main cabin with same. Currently everything comes inside and terminates at the dashboard: MFD, AIS, VHF, wind indicator, etc.
I was thinking that instead of sending the radar connection, and AIS (and VHF), and wind data down to the main cabin, and then NMEA connection up to the fly when we're steering from there, instead I could just send them all to the fly MFD and the main cabin can take the nmea feed.
The only pain I can see would be that the fly instruments would have to always be on, using more power. And secondly, that there's a bit more risk of losing the "main" MFD collection point from weather and lightning.

Bad idea? Good thinking??
mcarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 11:11 PM   #2
Guru

City: West Coast
NMEA doesn't have the bandwidth for radar images.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 11:19 PM   #3
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
I have Raymarine devices. AIS, GPS and AP data is sent out on nmea 2000 and picked up by any device that is on. Radar has a lot more data so it's sent via ethernet to any MFD device that is on. I set my helm MFD with SD card to master so that is always on. Bridge instruments can be on or off. I have ethernet switches at both the helm and bridge. Radar and MFD's are plugged into bridge switch, Sonar and MFD's are plugged into helm switch. Result - I can display radar, sonar, or charts on any device that is turned on.

I have 3 cables going from bridge to helm. Power, nmea, and ethernet.(STng and Raynet in Raymarine terms.) Latest generation uses Wifi so ethernet is no longer required.
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 12:00 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Our radar is wireless. So no cables except power. Works well so far.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 12:05 AM   #5

City: Canberra
Vessel Name: Blu Emu
Vessel Model: Ligure 50' aluminium power catamaran
Good point re: radar over nmea! Thanks

So I could get data into the NMEA system on the flybridge about AIS, GPS and wind, and repeat via nmea down below.
Could also get radar data into MFD on fly, but would need radar data ethernet'd down.

If so, there's a fair few wires that could be cleaned up!

@sowhat - which radar are you using that has wifi?!
mcarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 11:40 AM   #6
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarthur View Post
Good point re: radar over nmea! Thanks

So I could get data into the NMEA system on the flybridge about AIS, GPS and wind, and repeat via nmea down below.
Could also get radar data into MFD on fly, but would need radar data ethernet'd down.

If so, there's a fair few wires that could be cleaned up!

@sowhat - which radar are you using that has wifi?!
I use raymarine, 1 generation old. MFD's are wifi but not radar. Latest Axiom hardware is all wifi capable.

You should have nmea backbone already running between helm and bridge. Usually it is a simple matter of adding a T connector at the end of the backbone to add a single device (for nmea 2000). Each manufacturer may have different connector configuration and pin outs so nmea is semi proprietary.

You should also have ethernet cable between locations. Adding a switch at either location is plug and play. Again, manufacturer specific due to connector configuration.

I don't use radar on fly. If conditions require radar I'm at the helm.

From the helm picture on your Aug 2020 blog it appears as though you have Garmin equipment. Nmea 2000 connectors are readily available. Garmin switch is called Network Port Expander and appears to use RJ45 connectors. Google 'Garmin Network Diagram' and then click on images. There are a number of diagrams that depict network configuration.
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 04:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

City: Cannes
Vessel Name: Octant
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 MY
My boat is wired this way. I don't like it. If I have to leave in the middle of the night, for example wind picking up and mooring becoming unsafe, I still have to go out up on the fly bridge to turn on the primary MFD so that I get a feed down. Or, leave it on all night just in case (what I do) and let it draw power. I think this is not a good setup and will modify this.
Guilhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 05:22 PM   #8
Guru

City: Owings, Md
Vessel Name: Graceland
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilhem View Post
My boat is wired this way. I don't like it. If I have to leave in the middle of the night, for example wind picking up and mooring becoming unsafe, I still have to go out up on the fly bridge to turn on the primary MFD so that I get a feed down. Or, leave it on all night just in case (what I do) and let it draw power. I think this is not a good setup and will modify this.
Mine is set up this way and works fine, I have a master 12v circuit that feeds the bridge and can have the bridge MFD and VHF come on automatically as long as I leave their individual switches on. For the MFD it requires the yellow wire (on off) tied to the positive (red) wire.

With little modification, I'm sure you could turn the bridge MFD unit on remotely.
Gdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 05:59 AM   #9
Guru

City: Winthrop
Vessel Model: Pacific Trawler 40
Nema can not support sonar too. I installed a ethernet switch to supply data to wheel house and fly bridge. But if the boat is wired correctly somethings will have to remain on for ether station to work correctly or the way you want.
Old 08-11-2022, 04:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

City: Cannes
Vessel Name: Octant
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 MY
I had no idea I could have the MFD remotely turn on. Mine is a Raymarine e120w, I will check the installation guide, thanks.
Guilhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 06:17 PM   #11
Guru

City: Owings, Md
Vessel Name: Graceland
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilhem View Post
I had no idea I could have the MFD remotely turn on. Mine is a Raymarine e120w, I will check the installation guide, thanks.
I looked at your manual and I don't think it is possible for that model, my bad.
Gdavid is offline   Reply With Quote