question for those who use garmin autopilot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

magna 6882

Guru
Vessel Name
Intrepid
Vessel Make
North Pacific/ NP-45 Hull 10
I am still trying to learn what this does and dosnt do. I see a alarm/sounder connected to the system but have never heard anything. I cant find in the manuals anything regarding the alarm and when it goes off indicating something yet to discover.
Have you guys ever hear the alarm? If so when and why?

Most autopilots have an alarm which sounds if it is having trouble following it course. This may happen if the sensitivity is set too low in rough water.

I have a full Garmin set-up. When you say alarm/sounder can you be more specific? I am not familiar with that on or connected to the auto pilot. Is this an actual device that you can see connected to the equipment and if so, where?

Magna,

Our Garmin autopilot came with a buzzer that had to be wired to the compass brain unit. Check to see if yours was wired, if not it will alarm but not make a sound.

Yes i can see the alarm. Just a small 2 wire. It is under the dash.

Yes i can see the alarm. Just a small 2 wire. It is under the dash.

Hmmm... Interesting. I don't have one so can't help. Can you see what it's connected to? Does it look like a garmin device or perhaps something aftermarket?

What model autopilot do you have? Is it connected to an MFD?

Garmin ghc20 . I also have 3 8612 displays in the system but it seems the work is done on the ghc20 display.

The alarm wires under the dash should be connected to the CCU.
White to Orange(+) Black to blue(-)
If connected it will alarm when you lose connection to the steering controller (and autopilot will go into standby)

Look for GHP 20 Steer-By-Wire Installation Instructions.

alarms sound if the AP cannot follow a course within a track due to wind or current. might also if gps is lost.
Test it. While underway set it on a course, get to speed. You should have a way to steer off course to avoid an object, a jog button. do so and when it is off course idle down, neutral, let momentum drift it off/outside of the track. It should sound off.

The alarm functionality is all described in the "Garmin GHP Reactor Installation Instructions" that shipped with your system. If you don't have them you can download them at the Garmin website for your exact model. They are under the "Error and Warning Messages" section.

BTW, it would be good to become familiar with that manual. It also covers the issues you were having with your Shadow Drive and will cover every adjustment you might ever need to make. There are five pages covering The Dockside Wizard, The Sea Trial Wizard, Testing and Adjusting the Configuration, and Advanced Configuration.

After decades of Robertson Simrad and Furuno autopilots, a Reactor was my first Garmin. Until I became familiar with the above instructions, I struggled with mine. After, easy peasy.

BTW, I am very satisfied with the performance and usability.

Good reading and have fun with it :thumb:

Attachments

• GHC Reactor Alarms.JPG
    GHC Reactor Alarms.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 17
Garmin ghc20 . I also have 3 8612 displays in the system but it seems the work is done on the ghc20 display.

I realize not what you asked but just FYI you can control almost all AP functionality from the 8612's as well as the GHC20. Some folks don't even install the GHC20.

I had a similar setup with the same autopilot. It never let me down. Since my AP was connected to the MFD's the autopilot used the speaker built into the MFD's when an alarm was needed. The wired in speaker was redundant at that point.

I am still trying to learn what this does and dosnt do. I see a alarm/sounder connected to the system but have never heard anything. I cant find in the manuals anything regarding the alarm and when it goes off indicating something yet to discover.
Have you guys ever hear the alarm? If so when and why?

Take your boat out to to open water. Put the AP on heading hold. Then put your engine in neutral. When the boat strays way off course since you have no steering, the alarm should go off.

I am thinking it may not be turned on.

Back
Top Bottom