Panel labels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Loon

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Irene Mae
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 36
1980 Grand Banks AC and DC electrical panels. Any one know where I can order panel label that will fit between the circuit breaker? Regular label makers are too big and I would prefer a better quality label.
Thanks, Loon

I use the Brother label maker, if you get the new one that is controlled by an app on your tablet, you can make any size, font, even pictures.

You can get custom labels from Blue Seas, if they have recovered from the fire. I also order custom labels from plaquemaker.com

Labels

Thanks Dave

Anyone have a contact name and phone number for custom labels ??

Not sure what your original labels look like, but I had a bunch made by a local shop that does custom engraved plastic signs. I sent them a PDF, they made a single black panel with white lettering, and I cut out the individual pieces of plastic myself. About $50 all in, I think.

Here's a picture with the factory labels (2 on top) and the ones I had made (3 on the bottom). Not perfect up close but functional.

Attachments

• temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 20
Anyone have a contact name and phone number for custom labels ??

Blue Sea does not sell directly, you have to order through a dealer. Fisheries Supplies in Seattle is one such that sells online. If you go to BlueSea.com and look in the panels section, you will find a form for custom labels that you will need for the order. You will need to call Fisheries (or other) to place the custom order.

While there, take a look at the very comprehensive list of stock labels they have - hundreds of them. Often you can find what you want and don't need custom.

We used Blue Sea's labels ordered on line. We bought a few standard packages and replaced all the screw-on original labels.

Attachments

• Hobo upgrades 010.jpg
    Hobo upgrades 010.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Hobo upgrades 011.jpg
    Hobo upgrades 011.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Hobo upgrades 007a.jpg
    Hobo upgrades 007a.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 28
Blue Seas
I just need one long one "Saltwater wash down" and a blank small one.
I have bought 2 of their packages and neither contained a "Saltwater wash down" nor the blank small one

Last edited:
Blue Sea does not sell directly, you have to order through a dealer. Fisheries Supplies in Seattle is one such that sells online. If you go to BlueSea.com and look in the panels section, you will find a form for custom labels that you will need for the order. You will need to call Fisheries (or other) to place the custom order.

While there, take a look at the very comprehensive list of stock labels they have - hundreds of them. Often you can find what you want and don't need custom.

The extended stock label set appears to be lost in the 1980s. HAM Radio, LORAN, and TV/VCR, but no WiFi, Network, or Internet. :banghead:

Plenty of options for label (tape) size and colors in label makers these days. You can also print small on the tape and trim it down.

The extended stock label set appears to be lost in the 1980s. HAM Radio, LORAN, and TV/VCR, but no WiFi, Network, or Internet. :banghead:

Look at the individually available labels. All that you mention are available as a stock offerings, just not included in one of the sets.

Look at the individually available labels. All that you mention are available as a stock offerings, just not included in one of the sets.

I’m aware of that—all the more reason for them to bring the extended set into the 21st century.

I use the Brother label maker, if you get the new one that is controlled by an app on your tablet, you can make any size, font, even pictures.

Wards Marine in Ft Lauderdale. They custom make them exactly how you want them.
I had some made the script was exact.

Boatnbump thanks. Maybe today I will go into town and check them out.

BoatnBump, I called Wards, explained I wanted the translucent tags for BlueSeas panel. Assuming we understood each other, they do not make them. They will engrave a solid plate/ minimum price $15. Back to square 1.

Maybe the ones had made were not translucent but I remember they were a perfect match.

My cheapo Brother uses a label tape that is white letters on a black background. Pick the right font and they look exactly like post #8. 20 seconds to make and less than a penny. Plus, lots of other uses.

The problem with brother labels

I had custom labels made with the Blue Seas custom label service and they made exactly the labels I wanted when I redid my 12 V panel.

Prior to ordering Blue Seas labels I used a Brother label maker. A P100. The brother label maker I used, black on white was nearly identical in font and size to the Blue Seas one. The problem was that when you turned the lights off the light behind the label did not shine through illuminating the label. Therefore if you have some Blue Seas label and some brother labels, when it is dark the Blue Seas labels will be illuminated but the Brother labels will remain dark.

I have always had good success with Blue Seas special ordering labels exactly what I wanted.

^^ Me too. If you have a Blue Sea panel I don't know why you'd look elsewhere. It takes a couple of weeks for custom, quicker for stock, you get exactly what you want, it isn't expensive, they are high quality and match exactly.

^^ Me too. If you have a Blue Sea panel I don't know why you'd look elsewhere. It takes a couple of weeks for custom, quicker for stock, you get exactly what you want, it isn't expensive, they are high quality and match exactly.

Exactly!

We had a variety of new, rigid plastic, engraved labels made at our local trophy shop. Most are black with white beveled edge and lettering, some are red. Some screw into the wood backing, some attach with adhesive. Font size varies depending on the use. All match our original labels.

Panel Labels

Does anyone have a source for individual labels that would fit my old GB 42 panel?

I do the same for my 89 GB 32. Works great. Can get white on black or black on white tape

Thanks for info.

I use an older Brother label maker. It has a carriage return key, so you can get two 1/4" high labels by cutting them apart.

I also highly recommend Carolina Laser -- https://www.legend-plates.com/
They make custom labels in sizes from 1/4"x3/4" up to very large, including custom panels. They typically ship in a day or two and in sixteen orders over 8 years and several hundred labels they have made no mistakes and were always responsive to questions.

Jim

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom