NextGen 3.5 KW Coolant temp gauge in a MS 30 Pilot II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rgano

Guru
Vessel Name
FROLIC
Vessel Make
Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
This little genny of mine did not come with any external gauge for either oil pressure or coolant temperature. It did however come with an extra 3/8" NPT plug in the coolant tank where a temp sensor could be added. I am not too concerned about monitoring the oil pressure, but as I add electrical loads to the generator, I do want to see how close to the 225-degree automatic shutdown limit it is getting. I already have a multifunction electrical meter to monitor Amps/KW/Voltage.

Warning: if you attempt this you may find that the brass plug with its female hex fitting is impossible to remove. I had a big ol' hex wrench on it with both hands pushing and could not loosen it. I eventually "wallered" out the hex indentation of the plug, but a 1/8" NPT tap and R sized drill bit worked well to make the threaded hole for the 16-dollar temperature gauge I bought. So much for the nice stainless steel 3/8" to 1/8" NPT adapter I bought thinking my three year old genny would offer no real resistance to having its plug pulled.:facepalm:

In my case, a 2" hole in the vertical rise of the starboard bench seating above the generator sufficed for the gauge mounting place as there was several inches of clearance in the void between the mounting surface and the inner wall of the molded storage area under the seat. Running the positive and negative power wires and sensor wire for the digital gauge was a matter of drilling a single hole up into the void from the engine compartment and fishing the wires down to the genny. Sense line to the sensor and the two power wires to the wiring harness terminal board. Viola.

I'd attach a photo, but it's just a round gauge in a bench seat, no drama there.

Back
Top Bottom