Low Voltage - Possible corrosion Problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LenBuchanan

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Feath (fee-a) Gaelic for Calm, Tranquil
Vessel Make
1989 Jefferson 37 Sundeck
Since I bought the boat, I have noticed that my voltage when motoring is generally low on my voltage gauge on my helm. I have had the batteries checked and the alternators checked on both engines and voltage is fine. This was a liveaboard on the East Coast, New Jersey when I purchased the boat and possibly before. Batteries are changed regularly, about every 3 years and stored inside in my basement during the winter months.
My question is this:
Could there be corrosion in the wire leading to my gauge which would cause the lower voltage readings?
If so, if I cut the wire back looking for 'clean' wire and put in a piece from the cut to the gauge, would/should that correct the issue?

Yikes - Your issue could be caused by a myriad of items and yes, corrosion could be one of them. It could also be your regulator, a poorly designed electrical system (too much load for the system), or even your gauge. I guess I'd start with all connections and also put a volt meter at the gauge to ascertain that the gauge is working correctly.

Could also be a guage issue.

One way to diagnose this is to temporarily run a wire from the battery to the gauge and see if that solves your issue.

Probe the wires on the back of the gauge with a handheld voltmeter. Compare the 2 readings and you’ll find out instantly if the gauge is accurate or not.

Ken

Last edited:
Over the years, I have found the most electrical issues are on the ground side. Start at the batteries and follow the negative side back towards the gear that has low voltage. Look for corrosion and yank on each crimp connector. You will probably find one or more bad spots that are giving you the low voltage.

After checking your gauge with a meter and if both are reading the same. Than I would start at the batteries and take a reading at each connection working my way up to the gauge. Once you find the voltage drop, from there to the last check point is your problem.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom