Let’s talk generators....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toocoys

Guru
Our boat had a gas generator on board. However after 20 years it must have died and the lady whom we’re leasing the boat from had it pulled.

All the switches, blowers, lines, and exhaust hoses are still in the hole, I just need a replacement.

I need to run two A/C’s, and maybe a fridge... although our fridge is 12v as well as 110v.

Where do I start my research? Generators are even more Greek to me than air conditioners.

Gen-Set

My first question is, what type of fuel does your main engine run on ?

Gas or Diesel ?

Start with that.

Alfa Mike

Mains are gas too.
You could shortcut by asking the owner what brand was there, the KW output, and whether it coped with the loads.
Main issue is, what are the anticipated loads. You need to allow near double output, I think, to cover the start up extra load, unless your a/cs are "soft start".You`ve probably got a microwave to feed as well.

I`d guess many mfrs make a gas genset, I`m sure Kohler do. But if you put back what was there it might fit the space well, the connections may connect, and there`s the operator panel to consider too.

How's it going to work, spending quite a lot of money to install a generator into something you're only leasing?

I'll get this debate started:
8KW Gas Generator
Westerbeke
Kohler

Shop around for price and installation, then that figure will open your eyes.

I've read elsewhere that Kohler has recently gotten out of the gas genset business.

-Chris

My first question is, what type of fuel does your main engine run on ?

Gas or Diesel ?

Start with that.

Alfa Mike

The main engines are gas with a 300 gallon tank.

Can you have a different type of fueled generator? I.e. gas engines and diesel/propane generator?

I have a very old Onan gas gen. Onan is still making gasoline powered generators for the R/V market. I don't know if they are making marine rated units or not.

I have a very old Onan gas gen. Onan is still making gasoline powered generators for the R/V market. I don't know if they are making marine rated units or not.

I used to work at an ambulance MFG here in Houston and they’d install those Onan’s on the box. It ran the AC and all the lights.

If it’s in a bilge, and not in contact with water, would it matter if they are marine rated or not?

What was in there?
How many BTU's are the Air Cond units?
Electric water heater?
Refers are small loads.
If thats all you have, then a 5Kw might do depending on Air size and a 6 Kw should be fine.

If it’s in a bilge, and not in contact with water, would it matter if they are marine rated or not?

Google "Ignition Protection" or "Ignition Protected".

-Chris

My financial matters and where I spend my money are of no one else’s concern.

Gensets are indeed all about money. That is likely why the vessel’s owner did not re-install one. If you like the vessel and can afford the $5 - 8 K expenditure for a drop in replacement by all means install a gas unit. I’ve had two vessels with gas units. They work fine but MUST be installed by a pro for safety reasons.

If going diesel the cost will be about 50% more. How about a Honda portable? For $ 2K or less you may be able to drop it on the swim platform when anchored.

Don’t forget, you raised the lease topic. That is why a portable may “payoff” because you can take it with you when the lease expires

Marine units are usually water cooled with many extra, expensive, aftermarket parts.

Land units are usually aircooled.

You can by less expensive parts and rig your own marinized version but while not rocket science, it does take some engineering and mechanical skills.

If you want to run the generator down in the bilge/lazaret, you'll need a marinized gasoline generator so it can draw off your main fuel tanks. Marinized are better spark protected and have the water pump you'need for cooling. You'll most likely need a waterlift muffler to go along with it that either ties into one of your main exhausts or it's own outlet. My boat has a 7KW Onan which can run all my loads including both a/cs, range/oven and waterheater. You will probably have similar loads unless you have propane cooking. On the other hand, with smart load management, you can get by with a portable out on deck or the swim platform and that will be much less expensive and less work. It will also be noisier so please be courteous about run times on the nice quiet anchorages. Lots of people do this and run a couple of hours later in the morning and again either before or after sunset. Just don't mess up the sundowner time in the anchorage! LOL.

Kevin

My preferences if I were installing a new gasoline powered marine generator would be something in the 7-8KW range AND OPERATES at 1800RPM if I could find one. We have an old Kohler 7.5KW which is powered with Kohler’s l654 engine. Parts for this fine generator are no longer available.

The main engines are gas with a 300 gallon tank.

Can you have a different type of fueled generator? I.e. gas engines and diesel/propane generator?

I know of several who put diesel generators into a gas engine boat. Just add in a 12 gallon or so fuel tank. Easy

Don’t forget, you raised the lease topic. That is why a portable may “payoff” because you can take it with you when the lease expires

Didn’t think about a portable. Both of my AC’s are 110v I believe, and since we aren’t doing major cruising, all we need is to be able to keep them running while we are out and about on weekends.

Hmmm.... I may need to think about this a little further.

And just to put minds at ease, while we are in fact leasing it, she’s taking care of major expenses and we are taking care of minor stuff. I.e. holding tank repairs, replacing hoses, installing a new stereo.

How's it going to work, spending quite a lot of money to install a generator into something you're only leasing?

My financial matters and where I spend my money are of no one else’s concern.

You are of course correct that your finances are your own business but I had exactly the same thought as wkearney and would have asked something along the same lines. It is asked in the spirit of being concerned for the welfare of a fellow boat along the same lines as the constant advice that is given to "get a survey" and "charter before you buy".

Anyway, gas boat I'd look at going with a gas generator and try to duplicate the original installation as much as possible.

Put an air cooled noisemaker in your dink, and tow it behind , operating
when needed.

Some of the modern 4KW Hondas will easily run 2 air cond and the noise level is low enough the rag bagers wont be using the dink for target practice.

Move it to your next boat , if the time comes.

You might ask if the old generator is still around. Many places rebuild smaller gas generator engines because they don't last as long as diesel. Also there are many used generators for sale on ebay.

You might ask if the old generator is still around. Many places rebuild smaller gas generator engines because they don't last as long as diesel. Also there are many used generators for sale on ebay.

It was taken out in pieces and I have no idea where they went. Probably the dumpster.

I've looked on eBay, but I wouldn't know enough about buying used to feel comfortable doing so.

Last edited:
You are of course correct that your finances are your own business but I had exactly the same thought as wkearney and would have asked something along the same lines. It is asked in the spirit of being concerned for the welfare of a fellow boat along the same lines as the constant advice that is given to "get a survey" and "charter before you buy".

Anyway, gas boat I'd look at going with a gas generator and try to duplicate the original installation as much as possible.

Yeah, I guess I kinda jumped to conclusions and judgment on that original post, so I do owe wkearney99 an apology. When I read it I interpreted it as snarky even if it wasn't meant to be. So I do apologize.

I know that the generator that was in there was 7 or 8 kw because I asked the owner yesterday, it was enough to run the whole boat, and it was the original genset from 1996. I'm going to have to crawl in the bilge and see if it was water cooled, and what all is still there now that y'all have mentioned it.

What was in there?
How many BTU's are the Air Cond units?
Electric water heater?
Refers are small loads.
If thats all you have, then a 5Kw might do depending on Air size and a 6 Kw should be fine.

I haven't inspected the aft unit, but I know for certain that the forward unit is an FCF unit and its 16K btu and 115v. I'll need to determine what the start up amps are on it.

We do have what I thought was an on demand water heater, but after crawling around in the hole this weekend, I discovered that it is a 6 gallon tank.

Aside from the two A/C units, the water heater, and the ice maker everything else can run on 12v. The fridge is a Vitrifrigo 120 or 12v fridge so I can run that on the battery bank.

Holy checkbook batman. Kohler used 6.5kw generators are expensive!
How much? Maybe they are rare and out of production as suggested.
The Honda portable suitcase type maxes at 3KW,I think. You have to do your load sums, but I`d be concerned. Run hard they get noisier,fuel consumption would rise, and they can be less welcome in anchorages.

How much? Maybe they are rare and out of production as suggested.
The Honda portable suitcase type maxes at 3KW,I think. You have to do your load sums, but I`d be concerned. Run hard they get noisier,fuel consumption would rise, and they can be less welcome in anchorages.

I found a company called Land & Sea Services locally who specialize in marine generators. I'm going to try and meet with them on Wednesday or Thursday and start getting some hard facts and quotes.

I think this may be a bigger task than I'm capable of handling alone.

I'm going to have to crawl in the bilge and see if it was water cooled, and what all is still there now that y'all have mentioned it.

Almost certainly.

-Chris

THIS. Sometimes, not always, it's helpful when someone raises questions outside the one immediately asked. Maybe because they've done something similar themselves in the past and want to help someone else avoid making the same blunder.

My thought is what're the chances of reaching out to Marlow and inquiring if they have any records on this boat from when it was originally built. Mainship was absorbed by Marlow, but I have no idea if they still maintain or have access to the records. Sometimes going to the source is useful.

Or not. Up to you.

Just remember the answer you need isn't always to the question you asked.

Back
Top Bottom