Generator Run Light HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Make
1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
I have spent the day trying to find this light. It is the Main Engine (STBD) generator light. It turns on when the engine reaches about 1200rpm and indicates the alternator is up and running.

On the case it has these letters and numbers:

RAFL

T85 C

See pics below.

Any idea where I can get these?

Attachments

• IMG_7903.jpg
    IMG_7903.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_7904.jpg
    IMG_7904.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_7905.jpg
    IMG_7905.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 35
Try Mouser Electronics or Newark Electronics.
Its a "panel mount" indicator light.

If you have an electronics store in your area, I don't mean TV or the like, but an actual electronics store they too should have something.

Newark Electronics should have it in their huge inventory online.

Newark acquired MCM Electronics a while back and the combined inventory fills a phone book sized printed catalog with 1.4 million items!

If they don't have it try Parts Express online.

Attachments

• 1695071_eng_datasheet.pdf
    92.6 KB · Views: 18
I think that is an RAFI (I vs L)

There should be more numbers on it that. Without them, I can only wildly guess. If you know how many volts, I can wildly guess better. My best guess right now is:
-- RAFI 1.69.507.125/1502:

Nework seems to have them for sale:
-- https://www.newark.com/rafi/1-69-507-125-1502/indicator-lamp-solder-terminal/dp/74M5638

See page 3-34 of the attachment for more details and options.

My system is 12vDC.

Looked at the number again: RAFI 1.69507 then at the bottom T85 C

Okay, so I think we are still missing three digits. My read is that what we know is:

-- RAFI 1.69.507.xxx/1502

It would be really great if you could find the other three digits.

My concern is that you are reporting a 12V system, but I don't see that in RAFI's catalog. The 28V light is probably intended for a 24V system.

It could be the case that the lamp works at 12V just with less brightness. And, it could be that the more modest amount of brightness was the design intention in this application. I don't know.

If you absolutely can't find more digits, for the ~$5.00, I'd order the 28V one below and see if/how it works:
-- RAFI 1.69.507.125/1502

Worst case, you are out a very few dollars. Best case, it works. But, it won't break anything to try.

I should also add that RAFI may have made some custom units with a 12V vs 24V bulb. They are able to do that, I just don't know the minimum quantities.

It may also be the case that the bulb can be field swapped from 24V to 12V.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, those are the only numbers on the bulb. That is looking at it with a magnifying glass.

I think what may have happened was the previous owner replaced the bulb with a 230v, thus not as bright. It works, it is not as bright as the others.

Good Idea to buy a few and try it out. Thanks for the help.

Just ordered not only the lights, but hard to find connectors. Awesome website. Thanks for your help!!!

A 230V bulb would likely be neon vs filament.12VDC won't energize a neon bulb. So, maybe it is a 28V bulb dimmed at 12V. But, it really cant be a neon bulb at 12VDC.

I think what may have happened was the previous owner replaced the bulb with a 230v, thus not as bright. It works, it is not as bright as the others.

My concern is that the prior owner replaced a 12V bulb with a 24V bulb and that is why it isn't as bright. In other words, we know that a 24V bulb powered by 12V will be dimmed. So, we know we'll get less than its full brightness once installed. We just don't know if that is good enough.

We also know that a 230V neon bulb won't be lit, at all, by 12VDC, so it never could have been part of a function solution, even a dim one.

Is there another nearby indicator of a similar style that is the correct brightness? Even if it is the wrong color or something, that may be a better start.

Good points. I will need to keep trouble shooting...

Thinking about this, it might be easier to start with a picture of your panel and the requirements, e.g.

Supply voltage: 12VDC
Lens: 12mm square
Color: Green
Mounting hole: 10mm
Panel thickness: >= 20mm
Mounting: Quick connect or solder

The numbers don't have to be metric, they can be in inches.

With the two, I can probably find a 12V part for you that will look somewhat similar the other things on your panel.

just as a 12V "for example"

-https://www.westfloridacomponents.com/LED148/Green+12mm+12V+Square+Panel+Mount+Lamps+LEDS+Lights.html

Back
Top Bottom