Electronics for the tender

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bowball

Guru
What do others use for electronics on their tender?

I'm thinking of replacing the radio with an Icom, but I started thinking as I move around to explore coves, perhaps I need a chart plotter or someway to find where I anchored my boat!

What do others use? My tender is a 13.5' RIB.

Nothing currently but am in the market. I want to be able to explore and also chart depths for the big boat.

I was thinking of something like the Garmin ECHOMAP - small and portable.

I've also been thinking about just using a phone, Navionics, and this Vexilar T-BOX. This has the advantage of being able to bring my soundings back for use navigating. (Anyone have or use this?)

I've also been thinking about what to put on a new tender. I like the idea of being able to save/replay the soundings on 'something else'. But I'm a bit more interested in sidescan types of views, not just fish or depth contour lines alone. I'm more interested in it just for the 'sight seeing' kind of fun. I've not yet been able to find out how readily any of the Simrad, Lowrance or Humminbird units allow for save/replay functions, let alone exporting to 'something else'.

I've been looking at electronics for my 10' Trinka. Even though I have an electric outboard, it's not practical to draw power to run a MFD. Further, I'm not sure I need a depth sounder. A handheld VHF, cell phone, Garmin InReach, and a PLB cover my communication needs. So what I really need is a moving map chart plotter with crowd source data. My preferred software would be Aquamaps. This fits the bill nicely! Just need it to go on sale. Hard to justify that much for a tablet (albeit daylight readable, large battery, and waterproof).

https://sailproof.shop/rugged-tablet/

Ted

I can't say it's the best because I've never really tried anything else, but it works well for me...

On two tenders now I've installed Furuno's low end multi function device. Not the TZ product, but in one case the GP-1670, and the more recently a GP-1971. They are remarkably affordable, have build in fish finder capability if you add a transducer, chart using C-map chart cards, and have a built-in GPS. They will even plot AIS targets if you are so equipped.

In both cases I used a transom mounted transducer, I think a P-66. A C-map chart card can typically be found that will cover your cruising area for around $300. Using the current models, the 7" GP-1871 is under $700, and the larger GP-1971 is under $1000.

Oh, I also mounted a fixed VHF. Got tired of forgetting the handheld, or having to fumble around with it. VHFs are really inexpensive, so I just went with it.

I think the biggest challenge is space for everything. On my last tender I mounted the plotter in a pod which may have cost more then the plotter. This time around I'm mounting in the tender console. It looks like it will fit - fingers crossed.

I installed a USB port and a RAM mount in my RIB and I just use an ipad in a waterproof case, running Navionics as a plotter. I use the same ipad at my helm along with my two MFDs.

I installed a USB port and a RAM mount in my RIB and I just use an ipad in a waterproof case, running Navionics as a plotter. I use the same ipad at my helm along with my two MFDs.

That's hard to beat. I think the only thing you don't get that might be useful, or at least it's useful to me, is an actual depth sounding.

I think the biggest challenge is space for everything. On my last tender I mounted the plotter in a pod which may have cost more then the plotter. This time around I'm mounting in the tender console. It looks like it will fit - fingers crossed.

That will be a challenge for me as well. I'm strongly learning towards a removable option - something that I can leave on the big boat when I won't need it. I don't like the idea of making the tender even more attractive to potential ne'er-do-wells by leaving it at a dock with nice electronics on it.

Years ago, to complete electronics for my flybridge, I installed a Humminbird sounder/plotter with a C-Map chip. A couple of years later I bought my 12' RIB, which has a console.
Humminbird had a kit for equipping a second station for the head unit, which I put on the dinghy, so I now have the FB sounder/plotter, complete with its track (history) on the dinghy when needed, on the FB when needed. The "transom mount" depth transducer is epoxied to the inside of the hull in both places.
My handheld VHF is my dinghy radio.
For flares I have one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Sirius-Elect...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Some great thoughts here.

It would be wonderful to have the depth soundings of the tender recorded and sent to the mfd on the boat to scout anchorages. Maybe that’s just too much to ask though?

I see one issue is the degree of accuracy. I run a satellite compass sc20 on the boat which is much more accurate.

I’m using Furuno tz3 displays on the boat.

For VHF I went with the ICOM M400. This model has a "command mic" which controls everything the radio can do - so the head unit can be hidden somewhere freeing up valuable space on a very small dash panel. The command mic is a simple plug in mic which I can remove and stash if I get concerned about theft (although it is my understanding that since it is paired to the buried head unit it would be useless to anyone else).

For Depth and Chart I use a small Lowrance unit that can also be easily unplugged and removed, although I have never felt the need to do so.

I haven't dinged my new prop since I installed the depth finder, and now I can't forget to take a VHF with me, since it's already installed.

The only challenge is I have to remember to shut off the depth/chartplotter. It will drain a battery overnight, I installed a battery kill switch and simply add turning that off to my "leaving the dinghy" routine.
4000-albums788-picture7178.jpg

Last edited:
I bought my current dingy 7 years ago. At the time Raymarine was blowing out A67 units that did not have WiFi capability for $300. I thought why not and added one to my dingy. Used the transom mounted depth sounder and got an adapter that put all my Suzuki data on the MFD. Granted, I was lucky to have the dash space to accommodate this. Some might think this is over kill but I am amazed at how much I actually use the chart plotter.

I wonder if I install a small Furuno with Wi-Fi that it will connect and transfer data to the boats networked tz3’s.

*********The only challenge is I have to remember to shut off the depth/chartplotter. It will drain a battery overnight, I installed a battery kill switch and simply add turning that off to my "leaving the dinghy" routine.**********

Hope the B.pump is not shut off by the kill switch.

I think most tablet and phones aren't quite up to being fully "daylight viewable".

Samsung makes an 'Active' tablet line designed for rugged use. But I don't know how the screen brightness compares. https://www.samsung.com/us/business/mobile/tablets/galaxy-tab-active/

I have to think sailproof OEM's that thing from someone else. The trouble with that is you're sometimes stuck with devices that don't get the same sort of firmware updates (for features and security) that you'd get from larger vendors. This isn't a big deal unless the software you uses suddenly decides it 'needs' the features only found in the next rev of the OS.

They got it going via kickstarter, and does look to have some pretty impressive features for the price. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sailproof/sailproof-the-sailors-rugged-tablet

But at 10" that screen would be larger than I'd like for the tender. That and it'd need a much more secure and compact mounting scheme than the one their kickstarter page suggests.

*********The only challenge is I have to remember to shut off the depth/chartplotter. It will drain a battery overnight, I installed a battery kill switch and simply add turning that off to my "leaving the dinghy" routine.**********

Hope the B.pump is not shut off by the kill switch.

My battery is a motorcycle sized AGM. I have left the sounder on overnight several times, and after a summer out, still have something left in the battery, despite hours of prawn puller use.
I do try to remember to turn the sounder off when not in use, though I frequently need to look at it while in Desolation Sound, to report water temp for the swimmers.
I carry my dinghy on the transom davits, with my Canadian flag mounted on the stern rail. The tail of the flag is just right for flipping the nav light and bilge pump switches, which I frequently found switched on at the end of a crossing of Georgia Strait. I had to put switch covers on to alleviate that issue.
I prefer no kill switch. As my dinghy is my lifeboat, I want as few impediments to a fast, trouble free launch as possible. A kill switch, ignition key hidden away somewhere in the big boat, steel winch and stability lines, all would inhibit that trouble free launch, especially if it is someone unfamiliar with my dinghy setup trying to get the dinghy ready. KISS.

Now I think the hummingbird with side scan might be the best choice. Too bad I can’t share its data with the Furuno.

I had considered a Furuno side scan on the trawler but it didn’t seem to make sense for plotting out remote anchorages. Expensive but intriguing. Not great in shallow water by reputation.

Last edited:
On my little skiff, I put on a Garmin Striker Plus 4. For $130 its a waterproof color DF and rudimentary plotter. Also carry a Standard Horizon portable VHF just for emergencies. Cell phone in a freezer ziplock.
On my 8.5 ft dinghy, the above minus the Garmin. My DF is a 5 ft piece of PVC marked off at 4 ft (my draft).

Tender electronics

Your question may get answers from some with larger or smaller tenders. That may make a difference. We have a 10.8 tender and no 'console' so a place to mount a plotter is not an option.

Today with most decent radios (VHF) there are chart options. Honestly I didn't think of having something that I could use to find the mother ship as a necessity but who knows, maybe. In that case the navigation in my newly acquired Standard Horizon HX-890 (I don't buy any other VHF than Standard Horizon) could probably be used for that. IF not, possibly the 'find my car' option on my phone.

We do carry navigation lights for those times we've been caught out at night. I have a set of these (https://shop.inflatableboatparts.com/product/railblaza-navipack/). Depending on your storage capabilities we have a seat cushion with several pockets. It is easily removeable so that holds the NAV & communications products so we only need to grab that and our PFD's when we use the dinghy.

I also carry a handheld depth gauge (https://www.amazon.com/Norcross-Hawkeye-H22PX-Sonar-System/dp/B000781CY8). This has come in handy on the big boat in limited circumstances, (mostly if we want to know the depth for diving off while anchored) but has come in handy.

IF i had a tender that could support a plotter I'd get something like this (https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/690703/pn/010-02331-01) which could also support a transducer connected to the stern. I'd go for the 6" due to more options for viewing.

You'll get plenty of options, so good luck sorting it out.

I've used a cheap set of these as backups: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08887V17D

I'm considering a small plotter on a RAM type of mount. Using the RAM style would make it easier to lower, for when the dinghy is covered.

https://navpod.com/navpod/powerpodramseries/

Though not necessarily a whole 'pod' shell, as there's probably some combination of connections to make use a bail mount. The pod would probably be 'better' but seems like it'd add bulk.

https://www.rammount.com/consumer/device-mounts/fishfinder-mounts

Last edited:
I have been wracking my brains trying to remember Tony Fleming's dinghies, he uses two. He seems to use the smaller one of the two dinghies the most and its bare bones. He has used it in Desolation, Broughtons, and higher into Alaska.

In a way, I kind of understand the desire for some kind of depth sounder abilities and in a way I don't. About 95 % of all dinghies used in the coastal BC area don't have them. And people I find think they are going to go and extensive dinghy touring but reality not so much.

I'm an expert in overthinking and over equipping boats so much so that I am slowly mellowing on this issue. In photography it is called GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) and I am very familiar with this issue. Would you like to see one of my nine camera bags?

Why not try out your dinghy and see how you use it. Eventually I went with standard horizon hx890 radio with GPS figuring I could use it to get back to the mother ship if I should become disoriented after "extended" touring. Some of the cheapy fish finders sound interesting - they display depth - and are designed for small boats.

Yes, the new VHF portables with GPS waypoints are pretty interesting. Won't be long before they start having some degree of actual charts in them.

One goal of mine is having a "not lose-able" means of navigating on the dinghy, so as to let the kids use it for exploring. Sure, they could use their phones, but then we're off into replacing the phones when they get lost overboard (or not charged, or out of signal coverage, etc). I'm thinking one of the garmin echomap series with their quick-release mounts might be an option. Charts are there for navigating, but the gizmo is removable to help avoid theft when unattended.

And I totally share your perspective on gear acquisition syndrome!

To close this out, I ended up having a nice 7” Garmin plotter and a Garmin transducer installed.

Garmin GPSMAP 743XSV

I have been wracking my brains trying to remember Tony Fleming's dinghies, he uses two. He seems to use the smaller one of the two dinghies the most and its bare bones. He has used it in Desolation, Broughtons, and higher into Alaska.

In a way, I kind of understand the desire for some kind of depth sounder abilities and in a way I don't. About 95 % of all dinghies used in the coastal BC area don't have them. And people I find think they are going to go and extensive dinghy touring but reality not so much.

I think why they use the smaller lighter tender is it’s easier to beach it - and with the big tides having to haul a heavier tender and motor is hard when you get stranded. So you can pull the smaller lighter one further up or down the beach. Not to mention mildly easier to launch.

Or use the dingy with sounder to scout anchorages in poorly charted areas???

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom