Anyone using magnets to mount flexible solar panels on bimini?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhance

Vessel Name
Audrey Grace
Vessel Make
2003 Camano 31
I have them but worried about wind. I would tether the corners just in case. Need the panel removable in the winter while not in use, and not excited about putting holes in bimini with bolt-mount system. Could sew in zippers or other methods as well I suppose. These rare earth magnets are super strong and seem like they would work overall.

Anyone using them?

I've been looking at doing the same setup and have the same concerns as you do. Here is a video of a guy who used just bungee cords to tie down the flexible solar panels.
(Jump ahead to 9:56). After watching that I feel a little more confident in using bungees along with rare earth magnets to prevent it from bouncing around. (Although during the summer there probably won't be enough to worry about.)

Just a note from my experience (two or three different types of flexible panels, albeit not the super premium ones such as Solbian). I used them outside my RV, and even though I was super careful (stored them wrapped in fleece in original boxes when traveling, plus made grids to support them but allow lots of air circulation), none of them lasted more than a year or so. They get "saggy" when they are hot, and they also don't like being hot or flexing.

Not saying not to use them, but just try to keep them from flexing, and provide good ventilation underneath.

OTOH, What I found was that by the time I went through all the trouble to support them, vent them, etc. I had basically made rigid panels, but still with the propensity for shorter lifespan and cell cupping. (Perhaps Soliban or the like would be different.)

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had a better experience over the long term.

Last edited:
Pretty sure a typical thunderstorm will toss them in the drink!

On a previous boat (a sailboat) I attached a Solbian flexible panel to my bimini using velcro. Yes the panel required some support under it, but it held up well and worked great for the 5 or so years I owned the panel. The panel never moved in high winds (40 k +).

Just thinking out loud, would this have any effect on your compass and autopilot?

pete

Did you leave the panel up all year including during winter wind storms?

On a previous boat (a sailboat) I attached a Solbian flexible panel to my bimini using velcro. Yes the panel required some support under it, but it held up well and worked great for the 5 or so years I owned the panel. The panel never moved in high winds (40 k +).

Did you leave the panel up all year including during winter wind storms?
Yes, I left both the "solid" framed panel that I had installed on my dinghy davit and the flexible panel velcroed on the biminin up all winter for the first few winters. Near the time I sold the boat, I started taking the flexible panel down in the winter. If I remember correctly, I started thinking that since I wasn't getting much power from the panels in the winter (and I was plugged in to shore power), it might be better to "save the panel" from the elements.
However, the panel did not move even in the winter winds.

I have not tried rare earth magnets for solar panels but I did use them to hold a sun screen on the windshield of our RV. Used VHB tape to hold the RE magnet on the inside of the glass. Sewed in RE magnets into the sun screen. Worked well until I left the RV for a couple of days and when I returned the sun screen had blown off. That would be my concern about using them on the boat to hold the solar panels, when you come back the panel could be in the water or gone. And I used some very strong RE magnets.

Just thinking out loud, would this have any effect on your compass and autopilot?

pete

MAY have an effect on the autopilot and magnetic compass.
Better check for effect.
Personally, I do not allow magnets on my boat with very few exception.

My thought on this is I will tether the corners to the bimini frame, so should be no way to fly off the bimini should wind get under it. Just cant bring myself to put four holes in my bimini or lots of fussing with sewn-in zippers or the like. These are summer panels only and won't need them late Setp thru May.

I have not tried rare earth magnets for solar panels but I did use them to hold a sun screen on the windshield of our RV. Used VHB tape to hold the RE magnet on the inside of the glass. Sewed in RE magnets into the sun screen. Worked well until I left the RV for a couple of days and when I returned the sun screen had blown off. That would be my concern about using them on the boat to hold the solar panels, when you come back the panel could be in the water or gone. And I used some very strong RE magnets.

I too would consider the compass and related.

Years ago, I worked at a company that sold magnets. We would get cases of them air freighted in, and I always wondered if having a 150 lb box of magnets aboard messed up their compasses. They were never restricted as far as ground only, so I suppose not.

Back
Top Bottom