Old 08-03-2020, 10:05 PM   #1
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
update-B.C. Canada through traffic to Alaska

I know there is a thread somewhere on the forum but need a quick summary if there is a current poster that can assist. In discussion with a boat owner on a sale in Seattle area. There two options to bring the boat here to Ketchikan, run it up or barge it up. Of course running the boat up would be preferable and I believe the boat is capable. Fuel cap. is 300 gallons DF. water is 150 gallons so no need to fuel or water. Boat is 34 feet so a challenge perhaps at some points.
Anybody able to confirm the latest requirements? The last I had tracked was you could make the run, but not stopping, or anchoring In route. With another qualified person, running 24 hours a day is a option, however better to ask if there has been a easing of that rule.
I ask as a Commercial Grand Son-in-law recently brought his commercial troller through and was able to anchor at night and as I recall, were he needing fuel, able to obtain same.
Thanks in advance

Al-Ketchikan
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:34 PM   #2

City: Sammamish
Vessel Name: Knot Home
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788 - 1998
Jim and Rosie on “Cruising Sea Venture” (YouTube) worked with Canada to do a “pass thru” on their boat. Maybe you could contact them.
MMSI 368040370
Beaverlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 02:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Anacortes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaverlake View Post
Jim and Rosie on “Cruising Sea Venture” (YouTube) worked with Canada to do a “pass thru” on their boat. Maybe you could contact them.
yup
I would drive it up!
SalishSeaCHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 12:28 PM   #4
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaverlake View Post
Thanks, watched the video along with comments by B.C. boaters on the forum.
The conclusion from this is to forget a voyage. I am having a hard enough time avoiding the hype over this "flu" reporting to deal with the potential of dealing with authority.
Thanks to the responses.
Al-Ketchikan
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 01:44 PM   #5
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
My suggestions is ignore everyone and contact border folks and get the info from them. I know there has been some clamping down due to Americans lying about their Alaska destination when transiting by car. Some reported in Banff Alberta who claimed they were going to Alaska.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 02:52 PM   #6
Guru

City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pacific Myst
Vessel Model: West Bay 4500
I agree wtih rsn48. I'll expand on that. As more people bend the rules it's going to be more important to show authorities you intend to follow the rules.

Here's what I'd do:
Contact both Canada border patrol and US border patrol.

To Canada border patrol present a plan that shows:
  • Place, date and time you estimate crossing into Canada
  • A realistic estimated speed of advance
  • Planned route and anchorages
  • Places where you may need to hole up due to weather, tides etc
  • Any required fuel and potable water stops
  • You carry enough provisions to not need to go shopping until you exit Canadian waters
Get approval for your plan in writing. Then follow your "flight plan". Don't go ashore and wander through town, out to dinner etc. A fuel and potable water stop only needs to be at the dock long enough to fill the tanks and be gone.

To US boder patrol:
  • Ask for formal clearance outbound. They won't want to give it to you for a recreational boat but if pressed will do so and the paper work though confusing is not burdensome.
For you:
  • Leave your AIS on.
  • Leave tracking on your plotter on.
  • Keep a meticulous written log of daily movements and nightly anchorages.
Yes, this seems overkill. But when boarded by authorities it will be easy to show you've done it in a responsible and respectful manner. Even if you get stuck a week waiting to round Cape Caution.

And one more thing. Respect the small communities, they have limited or no medical facilities. Often much of the population is native decent who are much more susceptible to viral and bacterial infections. Plan to do your provisioning and refueling at the major ports such as Ketchikan.

It won't be as much fun as prior years free range cruising. But it's the way things are for the time being. If you're a dock hopper going from village to village maybe it's best to stay home till Covid-19 blows over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
My suggestions is ignore everyone and contact border folks and get the info from them. I know there has been some clamping down due to Americans lying about their Alaska destination when transiting by car. Some reported in Banff Alberta who claimed they were going to Alaska.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:20 PM   #7
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Al, Sorry that we won't be seeing you this summer. Good advise from Rsn and Portage: call the authorities and get the lowdown yourself, straight from the horse's....mouth. And get their names for future reference if you're questioned by a LEO.
Ken E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:56 PM   #8

City: Wrangell
Vessel Name: Dreams
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3988
Transiting boaters

You may still navigate through international or Canadian waters while in transit directly from one place outside Canada to another place outside Canada, if the transit is:

direct

continuous/uninterrupted

by the most reasonable route

Transiting travellers may only make*non-discretionary*(essential) stops along the way, including to use facilities, refuel or for essential supplies.
You must follow social distancing practices and wear a*non-medical*mass or face covering during these stops.

Anchoring

You may stop and anchor out of ordinary navigation, particularly if it becomes dangerous to navigate at night or if the crew must rest before safely continuing your trip.
If you anchor to spend the night, you must quarantine on your boat. If this is not possible, you may quarantine at a hotel until you are ready to resume your trip.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services...ns-eng.html#s5
murofrelwart is offline   Reply With Quote