Single Handing Alaska to Mexico

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi
I learn so much from postings like these-thank you and keep posting on your progress!
C Lady

Not sure how my OA 42 compares to your Willard for seaworthiness, but hope to copy your footsteps in some form when I retire. Have fun!
Your Ocean Alexander 42 would be a great boat to make this run. 30-years ago a dock mate took a Uniflite 42 from San Francisco to Puerto Vallarta and back over the course of 18-months. He was recently widowed and it was a catharsis for him. He had many friends join him along rhe way.

Peter

Your Journey

Doug,
Wish you much success and of course fair weather and calm seas. If you need to stop arond San Diego I have a fair amount of dock space at my brokerage office on Harbor Island let me know happy to have you here we have nice facilities (showers/laundry/gym/pool) happy to have you stay and provision up for the next leg.

Jim
"LAST ALARM"
42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Doug is going around the outside to Sitka.

He is seeing a part of Alaska that few dare to explore!

Attachments

• 9126EB4E-345C-4F93-8C3C-3545312124FE.jpg
    9126EB4E-345C-4F93-8C3C-3545312124FE.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 73
Not sure how my OA 42 compares to your Willard for seaworthiness, but hope to copy your footsteps in some form when I retire. Have fun!

Your OA will be fine.

I am a couple months ahead of Doug in my identical journey in my Bayliner 4788 and have had no issues at all.

Doug's Willard is outfitted very well for extended cruising. He has thought out this trip for a long time, and has spent a lot of time making sure his boat is ready. :)

Seriously considering running to Sitka, there are back channels I can use to stay out of the open water and islands to hide behind. Nothing really there except I have been in Alaska all of my life and never been there.

Your are in for a treat. My wife is fond of saying: "Sitka is the Alaska we thought we were going to." But we managed several visits during our 20 years in the rest of Alaska.

When you head out, be sure to leave time for Baranof Springs.

Can't quite tell, is he in Pelican?

Better scale; looks like he is. One of my favorite ports-of-call. Quintessential Alaska; cannery, post office, cafe, sportfish lodge, school.

Main street; speed limit 10mph:

Attachments

• P1000837.JPG
    P1000837.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Currently doing laundry in Sitka, re provisioned with a couple of cases of beer and the perishables have been replaced. Took on 101 gallons of fuel for 118 hours of run time, mostly cruising at 7 knots and 1 gph but also topping my batteries off every day I am not running for about 2 hours at 1000 rpm's.

The next dock stop will be Ketchikan, swinging over to go through the Wrangel Narrows, for obvious reasons if you have ever looked the the other options. Sitka has the highest dock rates I have ever paid, almost $1.50 per foot, moving on tomorrow.

Sorry no pictures, there has been almost no cell service suitable for an Internet connection. Things are progressing smoothly and I anticipate Ketchikan in another three days and no service in between except briefly passing by Petersburg.

Trip has been amazingly trouble free, when the weather says travel I do, when it says don't, I don't. Lost one day (yesterday) due to 30 knot winds, hunkered at the head of a bay as close as I could reasonable get to reduce the chop and got caught up on sleep.

Deer everywhere this morning, so very visible against the background of the beach. Some bedded down in the rocks some in the grass watching the boats go by.

Next update in a couple of days!

Last edited by a moderator:
Doug, if you're given a choice on Ketchikan moorage, our favorite spot is Bar Harbor south. Closest to Safeway and other shopping. Laundry is nearby too.

Doug, if you're given a choice on Ketchikan moorage, our favorite spot is Bar Harbor south. Closest to Safeway and other shopping. Laundry is nearby too.

All true, but I have fond memories of the Yacht Club. Very big on hospitality, especially on Friday evening.

Twisted Tree, I was in the next bay over to the North of you, I could see you on my AIS (receive only) and was behind you as you exited Graves. I wanted to hit Graves but settled for a night in Torch Bay. It had been a 20 hour day for me and I was tired, there was a swell but it was square on the bow and I got a good nights sleep.

I watched you make the turn Inside and headed across to Lisianski for some calmer water to cook breakfast. It was all in all an excellent days run. I considered giving you a call on the vhf but had nothing to say except "howdy" :)

Hope to see you somewheres on the run South. Dodging back inside tomorrow and heading towards Petersburg.

Twisted Tree, I was in the next bay over to the North of you, I could see you on my AIS (receive only) and was behind you as you exited Graves. I wanted to hit Graves but settled for a night in Torch Bay. It had been a 20 hour day for me and I was tired, there was a swell but it was square on the bow and I got a good nights sleep.

I watched you make the turn Inside and headed across to Lisianski for some calmer water to cook breakfast. It was all in all an excellent days run. I considered giving you a call on the vhf but had nothing to say except "howdy" :)

Hope to see you somewheres on the run South. Dodging back inside tomorrow and heading towards Petersburg.

Howdy!

Well I lost day while the weather blew past, 30 knots or so, nothing I wanted to hit head on even in passages (or especially in passages). Sitka was a laundry and provisions run, took on 101 gallons of fuel and paid the most expensive transient fees I have seen in Alaska, a whole $42 for the night.

I met a couple of guys in a NT42 who lined me out on the passage I was planning on running in the morning. Extreme currents (7 knots) and I wound up following them until they left me in the dust, the information they shared was super important and I really appreciated it. Sergius Channel connect the outside to the Inside Passage, very well marked, and into Hoonah Bay, which connects with Chatham Strait.

The weather came up for a day, and I hid in the back of Ell Cove next to Waterfall Cove. Waterfall was open to the swell and Ell was well protected. Caught up on sleep in the company of several other boats, and am on my way to Petersburg this morning in favorable seas.

Fog was heavy on the water, so radar was operating while in the midst of the seiner fleet harvesting salmon. Texting over the In Reach has been a blessing, and I got a current weather forecast this morning even in the back of Ell Cove.

Might hit Ketchikan tomorrow, the forecast is very favorable!

Well I lost day while the weather blew past, 30 knots or so, nothing I wanted to hit head on even in passages (or especially in passages). Sitka was a laundry and provisions run, took on 101 gallons of fuel and paid the most expensive transient fees I have seen in Alaska, a whole $42 for the night.

I met a couple of guys in a NT42 who lined me out on the passage I was planning on running in the morning. Extreme currents (7 knots) and I wound up following them until they left me in the dust, the information they shared was super important and I really appreciated it. Sergius Channel connect the outside to the Inside Passage, very well marked, and into Hoonah Bay, which connects with Chatham Strait.

The weather came up for a day, and I hid in the back of Ell Cove next to Waterfall Cove. Waterfall was open to the swell and Ell was well protected. Caught up on sleep in the company of several other boats, and am on my way to Petersburg this morning in favorable seas.

Fog was heavy on the water, so radar was operating while in the midst of the seiner fleet harvesting salmon. Texting over the In Reach has been a blessing, and I got a current weather forecast this morning even in the back of Ell Cove.

Might hit Ketchikan tomorrow, the forecast is very favorable!

I'll say Howdy again, since it seems our paths just crossed again.

We have a friend who bought his Willard 30 in the Gulf of Mexico, trucked it across to San Francisco Delta area, brought it up the coast to Port Orchard, WA. Is not about 3 days behind us, going into Ketchikan after having gone as far North as Glacier Bay. We're both making our way back South to Puget Sound. We currently West side of Pitt Island heading for Meyers Narrows.
Plan is to spend time in Canada again next year, then head South for Sea of Cortez, then Panama, through the Canal, and into the Caribbean to the Bahamas . . . .then? . . . . not sure. Life's an adventure, don't let leave it with a long list of "Wish I had done's".

Been thru Sergius Narrows many times. Even the State Farry waits until slack. Appleton Cove is a good stop.

AkDoug,

You must have missed us when we pulled into a little cove about 2 miles after going through Canoe Pass next to Sergius Narrows. The dogs wanted a break. Have a safe trip. I'll post a photo of you leaving Sitka. TT, saw you in Appleton. We were anchored over by the old dock area removed after logging ended in the area.

Tom

AkDoug,

You must have missed us when we pulled into a little cove about 2 miles after going through Canoe Pass next to Sergius Narrows. The dogs wanted a break. Have a safe trip. I'll post a photo of you leaving Sitka. TT, saw you in Appleton. We were anchored over by the old dock area removed after logging ended in the area.

Tom

Ah, yes, saw you leaving this AM. Didn't put two and two together....

Lots of people in here last night to escape the blow. I was going to anchor in Hanus Bay somewhere until I realized all the wind was funneling up the valley at the head of the bay. 20kts turned into 40kts, so I thought better of it...

Tom, I saw you in the rear view mirror as I cut through the pass. I camped out the blow in Ell Cove next to Waterfall Cove with a few other boats, it was excellent! When the wind quit blowing I ran through Chatham Strait and all the way to the far end of the South Wrangel Narrows and spent the night in the cove outside Deception Point.

I thought I would stay in Petersburg but it was already so late I expected nothing would be open to eat anyway, so I pushed on. I looped around Etolin Island to McHenry Inlet for the night, saw a young brownie on the beach, the first brown one this trip! The next day was a short one, the weather was coming up in my face and the current was too, so it was just across to Snug Anchorage to wait out the next 24 hour blow. Saw a black bear and her two cubs on the beach, something I always appreciate.

After the blow, I ran into Ketchikan, where I am currently moored in South Bar Harbor. Thanks for that tip, it's always nice to be able to state your preferences when asking for a slip. I got stbd side to, which makes life easier for me single handing. Took on fuel on the way in, 44 gallons from Sitka to Ketchikan, average of .76 mpg.

Now to do ArriveCAN, replace a broken sanitary diverter valve, and resupply my three week old provisions with fresh stuff.

That's the latest poop :) Tom, the tide information you shared was the best! Thank you very much, I was running in the dark on that...

If "Today" means the 25th and you are in Bar Harbor, South, I will make a run into town this evening to see if you remain. I had just returned from Wrangell with a weather stop in Meyers Chuck for a day, (4 foot seas which I don't need).

Home Thursday.
Al.

Tom, I saw you in the rear view mirror as I cut through the pass. I camped out the blow in Ell Cove next to Waterfall Cove with a few other boats, it was excellent! When the wind quit blowing I ran through Chatham Strait and all the way to the far end of the South Wrangel Narrows and spent the night in the cove outside Deception Point.

I thought I would stay in Petersburg but it was already so late I expected nothing would be open to eat anyway, so I pushed on. I looped around Etolin Island to McHenry Inlet for the night, saw a young brownie on the beach, the first brown one this trip! The next day was a short one, the weather was coming up in my face and the current was too, so it was just across to Snug Anchorage to wait out the next 24 hour blow. Saw a black bear and her two cubs on the beach, something I always appreciate.

After the blow, I ran into Ketchikan, where I am currently moored in South Bar Harbor. Thanks for that tip, it's always nice to be able to state your preferences when asking for a slip. I got stbd side to, which makes life easier for me single handing. Took on fuel on the way in, 44 gallons from Sitka to Ketchikan, average of .76 mpg.

Now to do ArriveCAN, replace a broken sanitary diverter valve, and resupply my three week old provisions with fresh stuff.

That's the latest poop :) Tom, the tide information you shared was the best! Thank you very much, I was running in the dark on that...

Missed you Doug, checked the South harbor but no Willard, came home and put the Alaska Amber in the cooler for the next visitor. Have flat water and no wind, Al

If "Today" means the 25th and you are in Bar Harbor, South, I will make a run into town this evening to see if you remain. I had just returned from Wrangell with a weather stop in Meyers Chuck for a day, (4 foot seas which I don't need).
Home Thursday.

Al.

The adventure continues this morning, as I leave Crescent City and start the run down the challenging California Coast, Solo of course!

Todays plan is easy, make it to Eureka and fill up the tanks with Diesel. The trip is 60 miles at 8 knots, between 7 and 8 hours of driving.

I am leaving at first light, which is something I really like to do. Get moving, and hopefully into poirt before the winds build for the day.

Attachments

• BD04065A-086F-413B-97C2-66B8AA91ED1F.jpg
    BD04065A-086F-413B-97C2-66B8AA91ED1F.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 45
  • D1C3C477-60F2-4DF8-830C-98A775B779E6.jpg
    D1C3C477-60F2-4DF8-830C-98A775B779E6.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 23A8D092-B7C5-41C9-ADCE-D15591AA1993.jpg
    23A8D092-B7C5-41C9-ADCE-D15591AA1993.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 043CC93A-71C6-4B4B-A821-B6479D63B48F.jpg
    043CC93A-71C6-4B4B-A821-B6479D63B48F.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 41
I can't tell y'all how much I'm enjoying this thread.

I can't tell y'all how much I'm enjoying this thread.

Me too!

Kevin, will you spend any time in socal? Avalon might be nice stop for a few days

Me too!

Kevin, will you spend any time in socal? Avalon might be nice stop for a few days

I grew up in socal... :)

I'll be stopping a bit along the way of course. My mom is still alive (what a blessing!!!) so I'll be visiting her in Santa Barbera. Plus I'll be stopping at places that pique my odd sense of interest.

I have a slip reserved at Hotel Coral in Ensenada for the 15th of August so that is the only real "appointment" I have.

I grew up in socal... :)

I'll be stopping a bit along the way of course. My mom is still alive (what a blessing!!!) so I'll be visiting her in Santa Barbera. Plus I'll be stopping at places that pique my odd sense of interest.

I have a slip reserved at Hotel Coral in Ensenada for the 15th of August so that is the only real "appointment" I have.

looks like you are getting service offshore. that's nice!
Thanks.
my boat is currently in homer and will be doing your exact route next season solo also.

thanks for all the info.

looks like you are getting service offshore. that's nice!
Thanks.
my boat is currently in homer and will be doing your exact route next season solo also.

thanks for all the info.

So far I've had pretty good cellular and starlink coverage.

I'm just harbor hopping. One port at a time. Every port has something interesting.

The best plan in my opinion for solo cruising is to not have a timeframe. If the weather is marginal stay in port.

Kevin, Good advice!!! (I am leaving at first light, which is something I really like to do. Get moving, and hopefully into port before the winds build for the day.)

My gospel when Clarence Strait is involved. AmJ

Back
Top Bottom