PNW to Mexico, Panama Canal, and Florida, on our way at last!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slowgoesit

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
Muirgen
Vessel Make
50' Beebe Passagemaker
First, we have owned our Robert Beebe, 50 foot passagemaker, "Muirgen" for 2 years and 8 months now, and have lived aboard for right on 2 years now in the Pacific Northwest. Our shakedown cruise last year was a 3,100 mile, 87 day trip to Glacier Bay Alaska and back. Then we began another period of refit/outfit for our next trip, approximately 7,000 miles from the PNW to the American Southeast, Florida specifically, then Bahamas, and up the East Coast of the United States. Our initial post, covering purchase, initial outfit/repair, and trip to Alaska is covered in the thread below.

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/offer-accepted-beebe-design-54978.html

Now (as of 2 September) we are finally on our way South to San Diego, then Ensenada, Sea of Cortez, and points South and East!
PNW to Sea of Cortez and beyond!
Day 1, 2 September:
We left Sinclair Marina, Port Orchard, WA at 1225, accompanied for the first 20 minutes or so by Mark Garret, Sandy Garret, and Bob Neefus on Marks 53 Hatteras, “All the Perks”. Not sure whether they were seeing us off, or making sure we didn’t come back!
Leisurely trip to Poulsbo, WA where we dinghied in and dropped off a load of boat stuff at Longship Marine, the local used marine store. (I highly advise checking them out!) We also picked up a bronze railing end set for the railing closures. Hope they fit!
We grilled oysters that Frank of “Double O” on D Dock at Sinclair Marina gave to us the day prior. A little lemon and hot sauce, and absolutely fantastic! Barely got our feet wet the first day, but we’re starting off easy. We had our first engineering casualty of the trip. When I pulled the engine cut off switch out after we anchored, the engine just kept chugging along! The bolt, which was bronze, with just a standard nut had backed off, and the screw came out . . . . easy fix! Replaced with a stainless steel bolt, ss washers, and a ss nylock nut. I wish all problems were as easily fixed! Anchored in 20 feet of water.

Day 2, 3 September:
Poulsbo, WA to Port Angeles, WA. High overcast, with sun coming through late morning. 1 foot seas generally off the bow. Frank of “Double O” hailed us North of Agate Pass in Shilshole Bay. While he ran the boat, a mate of his passed over 4 Dungeness Crabs in a bucket via boat pole! We emptied the bucket and returned it, once again via boat pole. Incredibly generous of Frank of “Double O”! Generally overcast, made about 600 watts of solar max due to the overcast. We got surprised by a freighter wake and found out everything that hadn’t been fastened down, including the basket in the center of the Pilothouse table which held three drinks. . . . all of which dumped out . . .. Arrrrgh. I was in the galley, holding on to the pot with the crabs on a boil. Rest of trip uneventful. Anchored in 25’ of water. We had crab pasta for dinner. Awesome!

Day 3, 4 September:
Port Angeles, WA to Neah Bay, WA. 1’ seas, 3 seconds gave way to 3’ seas 5-6 seconds off the bow and stbd bow. Very manageable. Made good about 6.5 kts until tide changed, then about 7.5 SOG, or so. Solar got up to about 1300 watts, still a lot of thin obscuration, high up. Made it to Neah Bay about 1500, waited about 20 minutes for a fish boat to fuel, then our turn. Took on 1098 gallons of fuel at $4.92/gallon. Took a little over an hour to pump with a small to medium nozzle. Larry at the fuel dock was very patient with us! The pump stopped every 183 gallons, as that was the limit set by higher. Every two resets (366 gallons) he had to run our credit card, then ask for approval to pump another 366 gallons. . . . 6 resets, and three credit charges later, we had what we wanted on board. We increased our draft by 2” fore and aft! Anchored in 35’ of water at high tide. Kirsten made crab cakes with the last of the Double O’s crabs. 136 miles of around 1,250 or so to San Diego made good so far on the trip.
p { line-height: 115%; margin-bottom: 0.1in; background: transparent }a:link { color: #000080; text-decoration: underline }a:visited { color: #800000; text-decoration: underline }

I'll try and take some pics to add as the trip progresses!
Edit: First pic, Muirgen during recent haulout to install new tranducers
Pic 2, All the Perks, 53 Hatteras
PIc 3, Oysters!
Pic 4, Kelp Monster

Attachments

• June 2023 Haulout 10.jpeg
    June 2023 Haulout 10.jpeg
    119 KB · Views: 79
  • All the Perks.jpeg
    All the Perks.jpeg
    145.4 KB · Views: 74
  • Oysters!.jpeg
    Oysters!.jpeg
    121.5 KB · Views: 66
  • Kelp Monster.jpeg
    Kelp Monster.jpeg
    87.4 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Very nice!!!

Hope to meet up in Ensenada or La Paz!!

Congrats on setting sail. Following with interest as you turn the corner at Tatoosh tomorrow (??).

Hopefully see you in Ensenada soon.

Peter

You are having sum fun now!

Last edited:
The sky is getting light and it's quiet here. Probably for the last time in a few days. I'm the only one up even the cats looked at me and rolled over as I got up at 5 after laying there for a half hour. But I do enjoy the peace of the morning and if I can't sleep, I should enjoy the sunrise. Hoping for a great day on the water. Thanks for the well wishes... hope to meet a few of you on the water some where down the way... Laura

The sky is getting light and it's quiet here. Probably for the last time in a few days. I'm the only one up even the cats looked at me and rolled over as I got up at 5 after laying there for a half hour. But I do enjoy the peace of the morning and if I can't sleep, I should enjoy the sunrise. Hoping for a great day on the water. Thanks for the well wishes... hope to meet a few of you on the water some where down the way... Laura
Hi Laura - hope to meet you and Scot in Ensenada. I have been meaning to ask Scot a question better directed to you:

How do you pronounce "Muirgen?"

Peter

Excellent - thanks for sharing! Let me know if you need anything while in San Diego; also can serve as a shipping address if you find out you need anything while en route.

You probably will be further south by then, but Oct 2-8th is fleet week in the SF Bay. Fun time on the water especially the Blue Angels on the weekend. Also, you will miss some great cruising in the Delta, a unique water playground in the Pacific. But I know all too well the alure to get south. Sure you know, but Pt Reyes is an excellent anchorage, great NW protection, if it gets snotty before you reach SF Bay. Have fun.

Day 4, Neah Bay, WA, sunrise, prior to departure.

Cape Flattery on the left, Tatoosh Island on the right, threading the needle. We
re about 10 miles offshore now, heading out to about 30 miles before we turn South. We've caught one seaweed fish, hope to hear that melodious music of the clicker on the reels more with actual fish on the lures!:whistling:

Attachments

• Neah Bay, Sunrise.jpeg
    Neah Bay, Sunrise.jpeg
    55.2 KB · Views: 36
  • Cape Flattery and Tatoosh Island, turning the corner.jpeg
    Cape Flattery and Tatoosh Island, turning the corner.jpeg
    65.2 KB · Views: 44
Scot & Laura,
Congrats on getting started South. We will be leaving Olympia in the next 45-60 days for a stop over in Long Beach and San Diego before heading South of the Border. Let me know if you need anything transported (by land) from PNW toward SD/or points south.
Hoping to see you two in the best part of the Gulfo de California (Sea of Cortez) near our home in San Carlos, Sonora (on the mainland side).
We should be there November through next June. I know the area and speak Spanish pretty well and am happy to help in any way I can. Thanks for the update.
DJ & Cheri

Scot and Laura,
Terry and I wish you both much fun, great adventures, and safe travels!! It sounds like a blast!
I hope that the Eartec's are still working well for you guys.
We will follow your posts and hopefully live a bit through your adventures.
Best,
Tom

Thanks for your posts, enjoying your trip almost as much as you. Made that trip down the SF Bay just 2 years ago and have refitting for next years trip to SOC. Unlike you, I tend to cruise from dock to dock, rather than anchor. Safe cruising.

Tom, we're still married, so I guess the "Marriage Savers" are still working! :D

Scot and Laura,
Terry and I wish you both much fun, great adventures, and safe travels!! It sounds like a blast!
Best,
Tom

Darrin, it'll be a few months before we get up to San Carlos, but definitely planning on looking you and Cheryl up! Don't think we need anything at this point, but we'll keep it in mind. Take care, Scot

Scot & Laura,
Congrats on getting started South. We will be leaving Olympia in the next 45-60 days for a stop over in Long Beach and San Diego before heading South of the Border. Let me know if you need anything transported (by land) from PNW toward SD/or points south.
Hoping to see you two in the best part of the Gulfo de California (Sea of Cortez) near our home in San Carlos, Sonora (on the mainland side).
We should be there November through next June. I know the area and speak Spanish pretty well and am happy to help in any way I can. Thanks for the update.
DJ & Cheri

Unfortunately, we'll be in Ensenada by 2 October, but thanks for the thoughts!

You probably will be further south by then, but Oct 2-8th is fleet week in the SF Bay. Fun time on the water especially the Blue Angels on the weekend. Also, you will miss some great cruising in the Delta, a unique water playground in the Pacific. But I know all too well the alure to get south. Sure you know, but Pt Reyes is an excellent anchorage, great NW protection, if it gets snotty before you reach SF Bay. Have fun.

Excellent - thanks for sharing! Let me know if you need anything while in San Diego; also can serve as a shipping address if you find out you need anything while en route.

Peter, will do, we're planning on staying in the Fiddler's Cove, Navy Marina on Coranado Island, but maybe we can hook up!:dance:

Keep an eye out for a blue sailboat with a tiger painted on the bow. They are traveling the same direction as you. I suspect they are 12 hours behind you. Mark and Kat, they were my neighbors until they shoved off for Mexico this week.

Update. We left Neah Bay, Washington Tuesday Morning at around 0730, and headed out between Cape Flattery and Tatoosh Island, gradually getting to about 32 miles offshore to hopefully pick up some tuna . . . . no such luck. Maybe we're trolling too slow at around 6 kts.

Anyway, we've been underway since then. Seas have generally been less than 4' and around 8 seconds or so. Not bad, although we did put out the paravanes. We should be off of Coos Bay Oregon around 0900 tomorrow morning, off Crescent City Thursday around Midnight, and still headed South. It appears that there may be a significant South Swell as far North as Point Arena in CA from the hurricane/tropical storm off of Baja. . . . .That may delay our trip some, but we'll have to see. Currently thinking maybe holing up in Ft. Bragg if conditions warrant. We'd like to get to San Diego around 15 September, but have allocated till the end of the month . . . We'll just have to see.

We just got internet back after heading inshore to about 20 miles. ATnT is doing well here, but Starlink had figured out that we are in the "Ocean". It doesn't look like we can upgrade to the Marine Plan since we have the rectangular Dishy, which isn't approved for in motion . . . . We may not slay that dragon until we get to Mexico . . .

Scot and Laura,
Best,
Tom

Tom the Eartecs are fabulous and have saved us many of embarrassing docking yelling stories we wouldn't want to share. They are one of the first things I recommend new boat couples get when they start their cruising just so they don't push their loved one overboard then later regret it. So many thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Scot & Laura,
DJ & Cheri

Definitely want to connect while we are down in Baja.. need a seriously crash course in Spanish. Was on the list to do while I was in Washington, but here I am working my way down the coast and I still know maybe five words... :ermm: Looking forward to being there though!!

Update: 7 September, Day 8, 0600, Abeam Eureka, CA about 18 miles offshore. Still quartering sea, 4', rolley. The cats are saving up angst for later to punish us for the rolling . . . :whistling: Winds out of the NW at around 15 kts.
Yesterday, 166.1 nm made good. When we make the turn around Cape Mendocino the waves will be more off of the stern:thumb:.
Heading toward Fort Bragg, but will make a decision on whether to go in after we get the updated WX. We don't really need anything, and if the WX is fair, we'll just push on. We'd like to visit Catalina, but no real need to stop anywhere between here and San Diego.

Update: 7 September, Day 8, 0600, Abeam Eureka, CA about 18 miles offshore. Still quartering sea, 4', rolley. The cats are saving up angst for later to punish us for the rolling . . . :whistling: Winds out of the NW at around 15 kts.
Yesterday, 166.1 nm made good. When we make the turn around Cape Mendocino the waves will be more off of the stern:thumb:.
Heading toward Fort Bragg, but will make a decision on whether to go in after we get the updated WX. We don't really need anything, and if the WX is fair, we'll just push on. We'd like to visit Catalina, but no real need to stop anywhere between here and San Diego.

Nice! Recommend the Channel Islands over Catalina if you end up stopping (though we love Catalina, and it'll be relatively quiet this time of year).

Scott
How are the paravanes performing? Easy enough to deploy and pull back in?

Are all the charging systems and the Victron bits and pieces cooperating with each other? You’ve got a great setup there, likely as good as any on TF. Nice work.

BTW Laura, keep Scott in check so he doesn’t get dreams like that Nordhavn 68 owner who got busted in the east coast. You guys are amazing, safe travels.

Nice! Recommend the Channel Islands over Catalina if you end up stopping (though we love Catalina, and it'll be relatively quiet this time of year).

except for October 6th at the isthmus for buccaneer days. Avalon is also busy on that weekend.

I would also recommend a visit to Cuyler harbor at San Miguel island for a hike and a visit with the elephant seals.

Cuyler was a favorite of ours too. But San Miguel is a bit of a diversion. Your path south from Pt Conception/Arguello will take you between Santa Rosa and Santa Cruz islands, both have decent anchorages though this part of the Channel Islands are pretty remote without any services. Catalina obviously has a town and restaurants if that's your fancy.

BTW - we're tied up at the San Diego Harbor Guest Dock. It's $1.25/ft/nt with 30A hookup and water. It's about a mile to the nearest chandlery (San Diego Marine Exchange) and some smaller restaurants. Nearest grocery store (Ralph's) is a mile further. If you decide to stop at the SD Guest Dock (vs a yacht club), register and make a reservation at https://reservations.portofsandiego.org/boating/. You also have to make a reservation for the anchorages in the area. SD is pretty tightly controlled, but in a fairly good way.

I just snapped the attached picture of Weebles. The place can get a bit noisy with bellowing sea lions.

Peter
20230908_101154~2.jpg20230907_093952.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom