Question about fuel storage and preservation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

_AJ_

Vessel Make
2000 Pacific Trawler 40'
We are the proud new owners of a beautifully kept Pacific Trawler 40 open transom hull #36.

We have a first world concern about the large capacity of the main diesel tank and questions about the best way to keep it's contents fresh and clean for extended periods of time.

With 400 gallons of diesel aboard and no fuel polishing system installed, what is the best way to maintain the health of the diesel.

Is it best to keep the fuel topped off or should I plan to consume the major majority prior to refueling the boat?

Which additives are best recommended and at what intervals and quantity should it be added?

Thanks in advance.

Diesel deteriorates at a much slower rate than gasoline. That said, it’s better turn turn the fuel over regularly. You don’t have to fill the tank, put in only how much you will use in a few months or season.

Most engine manufacturers don’t recommend any diesel additives except to treat a specific issue. Keep the fuel clean and water free and you won’t need to treat any issues.

Ken

Schmoochee two

Hi _AJ_.

Congrats on your Pacific Trawler purchase. Let me know if you decide to rename her, and I'll add the change to our owners list. PM me if you would like a copy.

Regarding diesel fuel: Of course, the easiest solution is to run the fuel through the engine! If you have acquired some "older" diesel, you might consider an additive of some sort depending on what symptom needs to be addressed. Maybe it only needs to be mixed with fresh.

In the many threads on this topic, you will find members who have reported using diesel that was many years old at the time, although there may be an argument that more recent diesel formulations may be less stable over many years.

WESTERLY is like most boats in this class, and does not have a polishing system - The engine constantly polishes the fuel through the return to the tanks.

Hopefully, your fuel tanks allow you to draw off the bottom of the tanks. Doing this regularly along with having a multi-filter system of fuel supply to the engine will take care of almost all diesel contamination issues.

Personally, I wouldn't be concerned with "older" fuel, just make sure your filters are clean.

Kchase comments are absolutely correct!! :)

Welcome aboard. Congrats on your new boat. I would not worry too much about it unless the fuel is going on 3 or 4 years old. Just let it run down a bit before you fill up. Our diesel is going on 3 years old now. We didn’t get to run much thiis year due to the virus, hopefully next year...

Congrats on the new boat.

We have 1850 gallon capacity
When we got her she had 900 odd gallons of dark, discoloured near 10 year old diesel in the tanks which we went out in the rough, shook up the tanks and ran through without a problem.
Filters never clogged nor did they show any vacuum on the gauges.
It was a few months before we added any fresh diesel to the tank and a year before we changed out those filters and they were pretty much spotless.

Previous owner never used any additive, neither do we but we do have crud sumps at the lowest point on the tank and I drain a litre off every few months to check.
A couple of pin head sized bits of grit is as bad as it gets.

I think the box of 2020 filters we carry will be a lifetime supply

Last edited:
I usually end up buying 50 to 100 gallons per side in a season. (Not enough) My capacity is 165 per side, it is rare to burn that much in a regular season. Some seasons I burn a lot, some seasons, not so much

I add conditioner every fall, seems to keep my fuel in good condition.

pete

Dont forget to change out the fuel fill o'rings.

Back
Top Bottom