Water Strainer seal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paulga

Guru
Vessel Name
DD
Vessel Make
Marine Trader Sundeck 40'
The rubber gasket in the strainer cap looks dated. Is it necessary to replace it?

Does Perko still make these strainers and parts?

IMG20240317165154.jpg

IMG20240317171729.jpg

You’ll need the model # of the Perko for replacemens of either cork or rubber. I found ours on EBay and have seen them on Perko site.

I make my own gaskets for things like this. Ace Hardware has 6" square rubber sheets that work well with water and auto parts stores carry fiber and cork gasket sheets for oil etc. I always have some of each in the toolbox. I use a small scissors to cut the material and a leather punch to make holes if needed. It's way cheaper than OEM gaskets and only takes a few minutes, and really helpful if the OEM's are hard to find or unavailable.

Now that’s a great idea! Certainly less expensive than buying retail plus the benefit of readily available when needed. Another example of forum useful info.

the cap size for the strainers are 3.5 and 2.5in
I was not able to get the part number from Perko customer service.
when I google "perko 858E cap rubber" I got their [0493] water strainer page . this strainer has the same 858E name sticker. The part number is 0493DP999R for:

Rubber Gasket Kit Consists of:
1- Cover Gasket and
2- Rubber Cylinder Gaskets

not sure if this is the right part

I suggest you either call Perko or talk to a local distributor.
The kits are likely still available.

As far as the rubber parts then YES, replace them, all of them. You have likely damaged them even though slightly and none of can see damage of that nature which will lead to leaks.

All the parts for Perko Strainers are available. It looks like from the label in the photo that you have a 493-005 3/4" strainer. These units are sized by the in/out pipe size. The common parts are on a local Distributors shelf and can be ordered through most marine retail stores and boatyards. Also readily available through several online sources.

:socool:

https://www.perko.com/catalog/underwater_hardware/103/intake_water_strainer/

Attachments

• Perko 493 parts.png
    Perko 493 parts.png
    175.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Keys beat me to it. :) I had these strainers and used both rubber and cork seals depending on which was available. I recall the boat came with cork.

Thanks for the link.

revisiting the perko flush cups that I ordered previously, i can now connect the dots:

Medium Cap (1" and 1.25" hose size) 3.5" Cap Diameter - 0493DP799M (or) 99R
Small Cap (1/2" and 3/4" hose size) 2.5" Cap Diameter - 0493DP599M (or) 99R

Screenshot 2024-03-21 173931.jpg

All the parts for Perko Strainers are available. It looks like from the label in the photo that you have a 493-005 3/4" strainer. These units are sized by the in/out pipe size. The common parts are on a local Distributors shelf and can be ordered through most marine retail stores and boatyards. Also readily available through several online sources.

:socool:

https://www.perko.com/catalog/underwater_hardware/103/intake_water_strainer/

I found a gasket from a plastic 55 gallon barrel bung fit perfectly.

I carry a chunk of car or bike innertube with my onboard maintenance kit. Be surprised how often I nibble into it for times like yours.
Barrie

I carry a chunk of car or bike innertube with my onboard maintenance kit. Be surprised how often I nibble into it for times like yours.
Barrie

do you use bike innertube to make a rubber seal for the strainer cap?

Car tire innertube is thicker than bike innertube. Depends on the need at the time.

The correct gasket is much thicker than an inner tube so I wouldn’t McGyver it to save a few bucks on a fitting that can sink your boat. An emergency or mounting a subwoofer is another story…

Back
Top Bottom