Water in Fuel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MVDarlin

I unfortunately left my twin 300 gallon saddle tanks on my 1982 Ocean Alexander nearly empty last summer for 5 months in Baja California, MX. Upon my return I found serious water contamination. I drained the tanks and found over four GALLONS of water in the tanks. Is it possible condensation alone could generate this much water?

I'm convinced someone mistakenly tried to fill the water tank and put a waterhose in the fuel tank.

That seems to be a lot for condensation but it does get pretty humid there on the water. But if it was by water hose it seems like too little. So I think I would go with condensation. Did you get it all out? I would stock up on fillers before you go out.

Gotta ask.
Any rain while you were gone? DO you change the O rings periodically AND grease them. If you don't then rain can enter the tanks by leaking past the deck fill plug.
Were the filler plugs tight?
Are the fill ports fittings sealed to the hull?
Are the fill hose clamps tight on the nipple from the deck fitting?

A dock mate had water entry to his tank, several times, and it finally came down to the filler plug O ring was worn and not greased, the deck fill fitting was not properly sealed to the hull, the hose clamps below were not tight so the rain ran under the deck fitting and into the hose and then the tank.
Once figured out and correct no more trouble.

Deck fillers

Whoever came up with that stupid idea should have their nuts cut

You don't say what model your 1982 boat is, but my guess is the deck fills as well.

On my 1981 OA Mk 1 the fuel fills were simply deck plates, below which were bronze hose nipple with flanges that were screwed down. The deck plate's bedding compound failed, allowing water underneath them and thence into the tanks. I could easy see rain over 5 months giving you the water you found. So, re-bedding the deck plates (if that's what you have also) will work.

But I replaced my deck plates. The originals had 1/2" protrusion which annoyed me. The new ones have 1/8", which I find much better. Some pics to illustrate.

Attachments

• Fuel fill old 2.jpg
    Fuel fill old 2.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Fuel fill no cover.jpg
    Fuel fill no cover.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Fuel fill new inside.jpg
    Fuel fill new inside.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Fuel fill engrave 3.jpg
    Fuel fill engrave 3.jpg