Tipping?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In the yards I have used, the employees who are exceptional are recognized by the yard and their fellow workers for their skill and are compensated accordingly by the yard. If they are not, they will be recruited at higher wages by other yards. This means that the market adjusts wages to reflect the work performed (not perfectly, but mostly true). My personal experience with exceptional workers is that they appreciate the boat owner's recognition of the quality of their work, and are not seeking separate compensation since they are already compensated more highly than their peers.

I typically do not tip for basic work. However, should the tech help solve a tricky situation or do a quick fix to get me underway then I like to recognize them. I recently gifted a very expensive bottle of virgin olive oil from Italy to the tech knowing that his wife was Italian and loved to cook. He was very appreciative.

Always tip for pump out and fuel dock too as these folks are not making much.

I typically do not tip for basic work. However, should the tech help solve a tricky situation or do a quick fix to get me underway then I like to recognize them. I recently gifted a very expensive bottle of virgin olive oil from Italy to the tech knowing that his wife was Italian and loved to cook. He was very appreciative.

Always tip for pump out and fuel dock too as these folks are not making much.

I like the idea of a gift instead of cash. It’s more personal and shows you recognize him as a person. That will only work if you actually know something about him and can give an appropriate gift. The olive oil was perfect.

I like the idea of a gift instead of cash. It’s more personal and shows you recognize him as a person. That will only work if you actually know something about him and can give an appropriate gift. The olive oil was perfect.

I prefer to give universal gift certificates that do not expire and can be used for anything under the sun.

In other words.......cash.

Peter

In the yards I have used, the employees who are exceptional are recognized by the yard and their fellow workers for their skill and are compensated accordingly by the yard. If they are not, they will be recruited at higher wages by other yards. This means that the market adjusts wages to reflect the work performed (not perfectly, but mostly true). My personal experience with exceptional workers is that they appreciate the boat owner's recognition of the quality of their work, and are not seeking separate compensation since they are already compensated more highly than their peers.

I would suggest extending that recognition by praising them to the manager or brief emails after. People are quick to take complaints up the line, but slower to take praise up the line.

I would suggest extending that recognition by praising them to the manager or brief emails after. People are quick to take complaints up the line, but slower to take praise up the line.

I do this and it is the best way for the worker to obtain the compensation he deserves.

IMHO You don't tip because they showed up.....you tip so that they'll show up again. You don't tip for the job they did.....you tip for the next job they're going to do. If you like their work, you want them back for more of the same.

In many cases, these guys have 10 jobs lined up with time to do 8. You don't want to be the guy that gets blown off. You don't want to be the rush job so he can get done and get over to his 'good' customer.

I do this and it is the best way for the worker to obtain the compensation he deserves.

Ever work in a boatyard? You know what the typical tech makes?

I was retired from one profession and doing well in the market so I worked at a marina as a delivery captain but often did yard tech work right after 2000 for $12.25 an hour. 2 years later after pretty solid work, I was making 12.50 an hour doing everything from captain, glasswork and engine work. It was one of the better marinas in the area.

Believe me, the guys who tipped got WAY better service than those who didn't.

The second marina I was affiliated with was the same.

Some of the marinas I have lived at or frequented between NJ and Florida, Because of my background, the yard guys warm up pretty quick. Same thing there, tips get you special treatment with most, but not necessarily all. Like many things in life, most people work towards "good enough", not necessarily great.

So if good enough is good enough for you...by all means, don't tip..

And don't be so naive to think all people are paid what they are worth or are perfectionists by nature.

OK I am gonna jump in the proverbial poop with both feet. First of all a little about my back ground. I went the the US Merchant Marine Academy and I have worked on and run everything from container ships to the smallest dingy. I now captain private yachts and own a marine and RV service company. I always like it when I have done a job well done and at the end of the job I receive a not required to be given tip at the end it could be 1cent or 1000 dollars and I would still the same amount of pride that I did something or a job that really stood out to the owner or captain. Now let me also say don't tip me because you feel obligated to tip me because I made your life better. Now on to the other foot..... When I am the captain weather it is of a motor-yacht or dingy or my own trawler I appreciate the help of a good dock hand and / or mechanic they can make you look like a rock star when all poo is hitting the fan and the owner is looking over your shoulder. Also someone made a comment about marina help being well paid that is not necessarily true. Our marina where I grew up had a stupid rule that is selectively enforced where if a family member owns a slip their offspring cant work for the marina. The Dock master and General manager liked me and thanks to them i learned how to operate boats and tie them up and my love for the ocean. They could not hire me and I would bust my butt all day on that dock for only the tips i received. At the end of the summer I made more than most of the dock hands being paid. Those are my thoughts for what they are worth!

I heartily agree with this. Let the owners/managers know when one of their staff goes above and beyond.

The praise thing is nice and appropriate. Just remember..... often these workers and supervisors are not the same as many of us.

It wasn't uncommon that many blue collar guys I worked with hated the Service manager and vice versa to a degree. The craftsman, sure, back slaps all around and because they took real pride in what they did, but in my experience...it was NOT the majority.

I heartily agree with this. Let the owners/managers know when one of their staff goes above and beyond.

This does not always make it back to the one doing the work. I had an instance of this before too I did a really good job on a job and a letter was written to my boss he did not realize I was I was cced on it he never told me and on top of that he replied back trying to take credit for said work

This does not always make it back to the one doing the work. I had an instance of this before too I did a really good job on a job and a letter was written to my boss he did not realize I was I was cced on it he never told me and on top of that he replied back trying to take credit for said work

More common than people think.....also blaming workers for their lousy supervision.

It has kinda been said, but kinda not.

So to be blunt about it, these are people. Not "the help." Treat everyone like a real person, with respect. To receive the respectful effort in return.

(Oh, and yeah, tip for anything noteworthy. Or the gift idea if you have a good idea for that, but avoid the "jelly of the month club" membership. LOL. If its not really special, cash is better.)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom