Ships Papers Book

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jefndeb

Guru
Vessel Name
Indigo Star
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 400
We are building a binder that we will keep all our "official " boat paperwork such as the USCG Document, insurance, waste plan etc.

Would love to hear from others what you have onboard as far as paperwork goes...

Thanks

Last edited:
We are building a binder that we will keep all our "official " boat paperwork such as the USCG Document, insurance, waste plan etc.

Would love to hear from others what you have onboard as far as paperwork goes...

Thanks

That's a good idea. For my charter boat, I had a 3 ring binder with clear plastic folders. In each folder was a document on each side.

The first included my USCG license ( copy posted under glass), and COD (Certificate of Documentation).

Next were EPIRB NOAA registrations.

Radio station license and operator's license

Liferaft annual recertification and insurance documents

Coast Guard Auxiliary UPV paperwork

Might add my trash plan.

The nice thing about doing it like this, if you ever get boarded, handing the binder to the boarding officer never fails to impress them

Ted

As a liveaboard with no dirt place to store anything...

Someone gave me a medium sized zippered binder/ executive carry all. It fits nicely into my clear valuables ditch bag.

It has all my important papers for the boat and others such as passport, etc.

That's a good idea. For my charter boat, I had a 3 ring binder with clear plastic folders. In each folder was a document on each side.

The first included my USCG license ( copy posted under glass), and COD (Certificate of Documentation).

Next were EPIRB NOAA registrations.

Radio station license and operator's license

Liferaft annual recertification and insurance documents

Coast Guard Auxiliary UPV paperwork

Might add my trash plan.

The nice thing about doing it like this, if you ever get boarded, handing the binder to the boarding officer never fails to impress them

Ted

These are known as "Doc Books"

Dido on all of the above. On commercial vessels we call it the "Masters Binder"

On both boats our Official Papers Books are red three ring binders with the following tabs:
Emergency Information
General Crew Information
At Sea Standing Orders
USCG Masters Licenses
USCG Certificate of Documentation
State Registrations (Tenders)
USCG Requirements (Fire extinguishers, PFDs, flares, etc. and locations)
EBIRB Registration
Ship's Radio License
Crew Radio Licenses (required if going foreign)
Waste Management Policy (required over 39 feet)
Serial Numbers of everything that has one
Copies of Crew Passports with summary page showing each person's full name, passport number, DoB, place of birth, and passport expiration
Jim

We used an old insurance portfolio thing to keep our paperwork in.
Worked like a 3 ring binder but didn't have to punch holes in everything.

Not only was it handy for us, but the CG liked it a lot the 2 times we were boarded. It shortened their time aboard.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom