Sea Strainer advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4fun1

Vessel Name
No Worries
Vessel Make
Beneteau ST44
I am looking to replace my current strainers for our AC units. The ones that I have now are extremely small. I had to clean them twice already this weekend.

I am not sure of the manufacturer of my existing ones but the screen is only about 1 inch in diameter by about 4 inches long. It has a 3/4 inlet and outlet.

It is mounted below the water line next to the pump.

I am open to replace with a different brand. Any suggestions?

Rich 20210529_154628.jpeg

groco
It might takes some planning to install.

Yes that does look kinda small. I think I have a Groco 500 on my A/C. It serves 2 16K BTU units.

I like the Groco, I was thinking about the ARG-750. I was wondering about installing it below the waterline would be a problem.
Yes that does look kinda small. I think I have a Groco 500 on my A/C. It serves 2 16K BTU units.

Mine is below the waterline.

Yes, below..... the routine is, hull valve, hose to sea strainer, hose to the pump....all below the water line.
In your case, you have to figure out a way to support the sea strainer. No sharp turns on the hoses.

Last edited:
Groco would be my choice as well. As Dan points out you want to make certain the strainer is securely mounted. You do not want it coming loose when it has a direct seawater line into it. It might be worth giving the Groco folks a call and talk with them about it. They may have advice on what's worked on other Beneteau.

I had 3/4 in through hull .... I went to 1 inch to increase the flow and reduce the build up of sea growth in the hose between the hull valve and sea strainer. It seems to have worked, a little hit but at least twice a year, I replace the hose between the hull valve and sea strainer because of sea creatures.

The basket for a 3/4” groco or perko strainer is not that much bigger. Look at one online before getting into a big project.
Does everyone near you have the same problem?

A/C pumps are typically not self priming and therefore must be mounted below the waterline.

The Perko 493 strainer in 3/4" has a basket size 1-13/16" O.D. x 6-1/4' H

The part number for the entire strainer 493 005 PLB

:socool:

Another trick is to oversize the thru hull by quite a bit so the suction doesn't pull as many things into it.

Not a bad idea to upside. I need to do some measuring. We don't get many creatures just a lot of weed sometimes.
I had 3/4 in through hull .... I went to 1 inch to increase the flow and reduce the build up of sea growth in the hose between the hull valve and sea strainer. It seems to have worked, a little hit but at least twice a year, I replace the hose between the hull valve and sea strainer because of sea creatures.

The installation would be fairly easy. There is a separate valve on the thru hole. Just a mater of mounting and running some hose. I may upsize like Old Dan suggested.

Don't have the problem all the time. I am on the Manasquan River and sometimes there is a lot of wees going past with the current.

I seem to get clogged up more than others.
The basket for a 3/4” groco or perko strainer is not that much bigger. Look at one online before getting into a big project.
Does everyone near you have the same problem?

Thanks, I believe the Groco is a little bit bigger.
A/C pumps are typically not self priming and therefore must be mounted below the waterline.

The Perko 493 strainer in 3/4" has a basket size 1-13/16" O.D. x 6-1/4' H

The part number for the entire strainer 493 005 PLB

:socool:

That would be the last resort.
Another trick is to oversize the thru hull by quite a bit so the suction doesn't pull as many things into it.

That would be the last resort.

I am not talking last resort.

I have a 1.5 inch thru hull for my air conditioning intake with matching forespar strainer.

I have had the AC strainer clog maybe twice and the engine strainer clog once with 3 small fish that swam in during the last 9 years of living aboard and around 20,000 ACIW liles (3800 hrs engine time).

There are no external srainers/screens on my thru hull to worry about. A hose pull and broomstick will clear any possible obstructions if that ever is the case.

On a related topic. One of my ac units was getting low water flow due to a dozen plus bivalves living inside the condenser tube. Barnacle buster (phosphoric acid) released them in the first minute of a powered flush with a small bilge pump. For those running ac in FL or other warm salt water places; is there any preventative actions to be taken? Ive read non credible texts with copper tubes , bromide etc.

Put in a valved t or y in order to prime the pump after it sits on the hard or needs it after cleaning.

Put in a valved t or y in order to prime the pump after it sits on the hard or needs it after cleaning.

If the pump and sea strainer are below the water line, it is self priming by virtue of the sea water pressure. If after cleaning the strainer and verifying the hose between the hull valve and the strainer are clean and you still dont get water flow into the strainer then the outside (of the hull) fitting is plugged up. Call a diver to clear the inlet.

"A hose pull and broomstick will clear any possible obstructions if that ever is the case."

This is also a good idea for sink drains.

Soap or grease can clog an overboard drain and a min or two with a broomstick is a short effective cure.

I have mentioned this on this forum before. But look up Seazy clean my dock neighbor is an inventor and he came up with this have had this through summer in Florida where we have extreme growth and it is 1000% better than sea strainers

I believe the Dometic are about to buy them out if they have not already

A suggestion

Hi,
I found this installation picture on a listing for a ST44. I was interested because I also owned one, and wanted to do what you are planning.

Attachments

• 8190F0DF-2F5E-4974-B190-3BA6F4C5A806.jpg
    8190F0DF-2F5E-4974-B190-3BA6F4C5A806.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 14
I have a groco 1250 with a single pump providing flow to 3 AC units ( 2 16000 & 12000 btu units) I have set up a groco valve that allows back flushing or forward flushing the lines with fresh water. I flush the units when I am not using the units which helps keep the critters out. The unit can clog on a daily basis or can go many days between cleaning depending on where we are. I check daily when checking the engine strainers which has similar groco units to see if they need cleaning.

Hi,

I found this installation picture on a listing for a ST44. I was interested because I also owned one, and wanted to do what you are planning.
Looks like what I want to do, might go bigger and relocate the port side strainer to under the ladder to make it easier to clean

Tried searching for it but nothing came up
I have mentioned this on this forum before. But look up Seazy clean my dock neighbor is an inventor and he came up with this have had this through summer in Florida where we have extreme growth and it is 1000% better than sea strainers

I believe the Dometic are about to buy them out if they have not already

Interesting set up, do you have any pics
I have a groco 1250 with a single pump providing flow to 3 AC units ( 2 16000 & 12000 btu units) I have set up a groco valve that allows back flushing or forward flushing the lines with fresh water. I flush the units when I am not using the units which helps keep the critters out. The unit can clog on a daily basis or can go many days between cleaning depending on where we are. I check daily when checking the engine strainers which has similar groco units to see if they need cleaning.

Before you get started, be sure of where the waterline is. Pull the hose off the inlet to the pump and raise it until water flow stops. Now you know how high you can go if you need to raise the level of the pump if your new strainer is taller than what you have. I am fine with the Marine Hardware strainers Mainship installed in my boat. They have a downloadable catalog, and unlike so many weird strainers you can find, parts are readily available form them. Page 12 shows their smallest unit is for the 3/4 inch system you have; it is the SEASUM 0.75. I have one each on my AC and generator.

I have mentioned this on this forum before. But look up Seazy clean my dock neighbor is an inventor and he came up with this have had this through summer in Florida where we have extreme growth and it is 1000% better than sea strainers. I believe the Dometic are about to buy them out if they have not already

There's nothing online for seasy clean anymore.

It appears to be a box that has a larger strainer in it, one you have to hand clean instead of pulling out a basket. The tie-in for purging could certainly be interesting if it looped back for using a cleaner like barnacle buster.

He must have sold it

There is still a YouTube video

There is no basket and you can loop it for barnacle buster

He had it where you could add blue tooth monitor to it etc.

Sorry, it’s seasy clean

Auto spell check

Back
Top Bottom