Remediating Stringers with High Moisture Content

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good first boat

This might be a great first boat. Get it cheap and keep her up as much as you can WITHOUT spending much $$. It is rare to have a yard do major work and have the boat worth the cost.

Get her and use her a lot and then sell. Your cost per trip will be low and you don't have to worry about damaging an expensive boat while you are learning.

I kind of agree with above if for costal use. You could check to see if the engine bed bolts will properly retorque, if so !!! and they did, and the layup on the stringers seems it is not just a protective skin and is more substantial as part of the structure, I bet it is as good as many others without this issue documented but existing. it could be just caught up in circumstance. maybe just run it. At least a possibility. I do know from experience on old boats of sister ship type build, is they really age similar a lot of times unless one is stored totally different as in under roof and the other outside for 40 years. My day and I had 466 bertrams and when one starter or tach quit you might as well buy the replacment for the other one.

Polishing a turd

Listen to the wisdom espoused on here, get a real handle on the scope of intrusion as well as structural integrity then proceed or flee in terror! If you are not able or willing to get in there and do the dirty work chances are very good that yard costs will prove prohibitive regardless of purchase price. Lots of good boats in the 50-60k range that you can fuel up and go, good luck either route you choose.

I've not done it nor does it appear I will have to worry about my stringers although they are wood cored but I knew of one boat, sister to mine, that the then owner simply laid up a whole mess more fiberglass rather than recore the wood.

Now if his wood is rotten or not doesn't matter.
I don't know if that is feasible with the bot you are looking at but it might be an option. If you have to have it done or you do it, it should be less money and time than a recoring.

Just a mention for what it's worth.

But be carefull.

Just to let everyone know, after receiving and reviewing the marine surveyor's "walk-around" survey report, I concluded this boat reflected many years of systemic neglect, both inside and outside -- in short, it was a "derelict" or "project" boat I wanted nothing further to do with... On to other prospective boats.

Thanks for posting your decision.

In the survey or by anyone else's discovery was the source of the water entry disclosed?

No, the source of the water intrusion was not identified with any degree of certainty. The current (or previous?) owner apparently had someone (or DIY?) repair the propeller shaft, which involved breaking up the concrete filler in that portion of the keel -- but the job was done poorly, and there are signs of rust, which might suggest that was the point of water intrusion. Leaving water sitting in the bilge for extended periods of time may also be the cause for the wet stringers -- but it doesn't really matter now, because there were numerous other problems, including areas "soft" and "spongy" decking, cabin sole (due to rotted support posts under the cabin sole), water-stained woodwork in the salon and master stateroom, dry rot at the base of some walls in the master stateroom, etc.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom