New Headliner--out with the old, in with the new

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
M/V Intrigue
Vessel Make
1985 Tung Hwa Senator
Three weeks ago we set out to tackle the headliner. It was probably the biggest eyesore on the boat. Previous leaks and previous failed attempts at a repair ruined a shoddy headliner repair. We just ripped stuff out until we got to all the rot, which wasn't much thankfully. Some Coosa, thickened epoxy, wood, new Luan and lots of stainless screws and 4200/5200 and the roof and windows are now leak free and sold as a rock. A trip to Jo Anns fabrics with a 50% off coupon and some other supplies and we just jumped right in. Total cost was probably less than $500. The damn 3M Super Trim Adhesive is pricey though. Also redid the teak window screens and hand rails. I am pretty happy with the way it turned out. Check out the video for some before and after

https://youtu.be/fOZyH8cjnO0

23047-albums1111-picture6885.jpg

Looks very nice. Ben there, done that on a previous boat so I understand how big a job it is.

Thanks Dave. We got a bit lucky that the water damage was not extensive. Also lucky they actually used so much actual teak in this boat. All of the teak was just fine. Any plywood in those areas was shot and had to be yanked out. Any plywood that went back in was epoxy coated with Total Boat wood penetrating epoxy. I never really worked much with teak in the past but have heard the word many times. Working with teak has given me quite an appreciation for it.

Back
Top Bottom