Interlux Perfection Accelerator/Curing Agent Alternative

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeaBoy

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
1982 Albin 40 DC
Hey guys. I’m doing some painting on the exterior of my boat using interlux perfection. Roll and tip. Unfortunately, the morning dew is destroying the high gloss surface finish. Interlux has their accelerator curing agent (item name YQA100) but it’s out of stock everywhere. Does anyone know a suitable replacement for an accelerator for two part polyurethane paints? Or should I halt all operations and pray it’s restocked in a decade. Thanks.

How much accelerator are you needing? We used Perfection 2-part on our last boat (and ran into the same gloss-destroying dew problem ,too, btw) and probably have a leftover can out in the boat shed somewhere. I'll try to locate it, if it'll help you. Our current boat is painted with one-part Perfection so I don't think the YQA100 will be of any use to us.
On an unrelated note, I talked to the PO of your boat when we were Albin shopping last year. We got lucky when we were able to procure our present boat but yours seemed to be in nice mechanical condition and was a contender on our list!

No way that’s crazy! Small world, especially in the Albin community… would be awesome to keep in touch. The project shouldn’t take more than a quart. Honestly, I’ll take anything I can get. Email me at boscowalz@yahoo.com and let’s touch base.

No way that’s crazy! Small world, especially in the Albin community… would be awesome to keep in touch. The project shouldn’t take more than a quart. Honestly, I’ll take anything I can get. Email me at boscowalz@yahoo.com and let’s touch base.

Will do. I'll dig it out and let you know.

I would not substitute anything else. Either wait for the correct accelerator or switch paints. Alexseal has an additive that does away with the tipping, just roll it on. Check out Boatworks Today.

I've used Awlgrip accelerator in Awlgrip, Sterling, Alexseal and Perfection. And used all those with no accelerator. Hard to tell if it works but it didn't hurt anything. For me the Accelerator has always been a puzzler. It doesn't speed up the drying time, you don't want to since the paint needs time to flow out, it speeds up the cure time. The only thing that I've noticed that it's good for that sometimes in cooler weather using Accelerator might allow you to sand the paint the next day, and if you don't use it the paint will be a little green to sand the next day. I sure wouldn't count on using Accelerator to prevent the paint from flatting out due to moisture. Paint earlier in the day.

The Alwgrip Pro-cure X98's active is based on dibutyltin dilaurate which is the basic chemistry used to accelerate urethane curing. The Technical Data Sheet he provided is a good guide, but I would do a small test first to confirm. The Alwgrip Pro-Cure X98 may have a lower or higher active content than the domestically produced Interlux product as well as a different solvent carrier blend.

During application, urethane based coatings are highly sensitive to moisture, on the substrate as well as humidity. Best to pick a "dry" (low humidity) day and do a quick Acetone wipe down of the surfaces just prior to coating

The Alwgrip Pro-cure X98's active is based on dibutyltin dilaurate which is the basic chemistry used to accelerate urethane curing. The Technical Data Sheet he provided is a good guide, but I would do a small test first to confirm. The Alwgrip Pro-Cure X98 may have a lower or higher active content than the domestically produced Interlux product as well as a different solvent carrier blend.

During application, urethane based coatings are highly sensitive to moisture, on the substrate as well as humidity. Best to pick a "dry" (low humidity) day and do a quick Acetone wipe down of the surfaces just prior to coating

Excellent advice. I used Perfection Plus (urethane clear coating for outside brightwork) and had to redo one area three times because of high humidity...especially overnight. For the last attempt (Great Lakes in June) I started mid-morning on a low humidity day (to maximize the cure time before sunset), and also covered the area with plastic (after it was touch dry) for the overnight period. Application out-of-doors with the boat on the water became quite a lengthy exercise. That said, the final result is spectacular and long lasting.

Brush application of Perfection (arctic white) on the diamond non-skid areas of the foredeck went well as I had several very low humidity days to complete the job. The longevity and appearance of the product has been excellent.

If the problem is from thinning, can you get Interlux 2316N spray reducing solvent?

You can use it instead of 2333N to cause Perfection to cure faster than when using 2333N, even when brushing. Of course, it'll also be lose workability much faster and may require retempering the pot as it evaporates, because it evaporates much faster.

You can actually mix it and 2333N, which I've done before to get the right mix of time and workability when the weather has forced heavy thinning and I've wanted to do a repair.

Back
Top Bottom