Old 02-28-2019, 02:22 PM   #21
Guru

City: Jupiter, Florida
Vessel Name: Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Classic
The SVS1000 is a combo seacock and strainer. Seacock has rubber come. Sorry for the bother.
firstbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 03:49 PM   #22
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstbase View Post
The SVS1000 is a combo seacock and strainer. Seacock has rubber come. Sorry for the bother.
oh, your picture did not show any valve.

How abut use a wetvac, put the strainer outlet under suction and see f you can figure out where the air comes in.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot from 2019-02-28 15-51-03.png  
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:28 PM   #23
Guru

Here is the full diagram and pic of what I am talking about. A wet vac...hmmm...didn't think of that one. Seems like that might be a little easier than trying to figure it out with diesels roaring away and wife driving the boat. Thanks for the suggestion!
Attached Thumbnails
groco SVS1000.JPG  
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2019, 10:54 PM   #24
Guru

For the record, if anyone knows where I can get two of the rubber cones for the SVS series, 1000 and 750, I would REALLY appreciate you letting me know.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:44 PM   #25
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstbase View Post
For the record, if anyone knows where I can get two of the rubber cones for the SVS series, 1000 and 750, I would REALLY appreciate you letting me know.
One place where the air can come in if the rubber cone is shot is on the handle side. Other side is a threaded T handle. Hard to imagine air drawn in there, and you would think the lower seacock would be dripping wet if it had a leak due to worn rubber cone. And it ought to at least be weeping in some sea water visibly if the lower seacock is bad.

Are you tightening up the T handle to seal the rubber cone tight to the housing?

Take some toilet bowl wax ring, dry the bronze seacock best you can, smear the wax all over the side handle cover, bolts, T handle threads, any where you think it might leak and see if it at least slows down the air coming in. That wax should stop any air being drawn in from somewhere.

I wonder if your rubber hose-clamp-water pump has a defect.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 11:30 PM   #26

City: Kenosha, WI
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Hershine 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
The big hassle I have seen with the rubber plugs were owners who were never informed the T handle had to be backed off before turning the seacock handle to a different position.

For longevity the old bronze taper style seem the only units that will go 1/2 a century with minor care.

IF nor operated often , they too enjoy the securing nut loosened .

A kindness for tapered bronze is to replace the 1/8 inch plugs with outboard SS grease fittings and hit them a squirt with waterproof grease when in the open position.

I have the old barrel type too. 40 years old now just took them apart, lapped and greased, good for another 40, I hope.
Greatlaker221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 06:53 AM   #27

City: Danville VT
Vessel Name: Boondoggle
Vessel Model: TaChiao 35
The vessel we are about to purchase has a svs 1000, there is a pin hole leak in the fitting that attaches to the hose outlet of the strainer, there is a barb fitting that fits to the fitting that attaches to the strainer. Hope that makes sense. The leak is on the inbetween fitting.

I can not tell from the pic whether that is just a nipple coming off the strainer or if it is threaded. if threaded does anyone know the size. I'm hoping that it is threaded and I can just apply some heat and disconnect and replace w/ out the middle fitting... just replace w/ barb.

If the middle fitting is soldered/welded on then I will have to replace the whole thing. If this is the case does anyone have recommendations on a replacement? Is this a thru bolted thru hull/strainer? Or is it just screwed onto the thru-hull w/ sealant?

Worse case is grinding out the whole thing and redoing the thru-hull and strainer. Just trying to avoid that.

Thanks in advance :-)
glymroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 06:51 PM   #28

City: Danville VT
Vessel Name: Boondoggle
Vessel Model: TaChiao 35
NVM figured it out... it's threaded. Easy fix!
glymroff is offline   Reply With Quote