Grand Banks 42 Europa leaking through deck up front.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrbarnum

Hi,

During a long heavy rain this week, I noticed water dripping through the headliner in the forward cabin on my boat. i checked the window, but it was tight and dry. So it appears to be leaking somehow through the deck (maybe a screw hole or something in the fiberglass below the teak deck).

Has anyone experienced this, and how do I remedy it?

Thanks!

Water will wick into any crack or opening. All deck hardware should be installed with bedding in any hull piercing, this includes screws, stanchions and lockers. Get your self a drill bit with a driver on it and remove all screws and place a dab of deck sealant on the threads and tighten.

Thanks. Sounds like a good first step. Is there a specific sealant that works best?

"All deck hardware should be installed with bedding in any hull piercing, this includes screws,"

The bedding slowly dries out or hardens so part of your PM is every 6-10 years lifting all deck hardware , cleaning out the old useless sealing goop and replacing it .

The hardest part is cleaning off the old hardened sealant , for this reason I use Dolphinite , to ease the cleaning workload.

Hard working items like stanchions (folks move the boat by pushing on them ) are usually the first to start leaking.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom