Fuel transfer between tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
… so just being curious, is steel tubing lighter than what 2x2 wood framework weighs?

There would be no significant difference in weight, unless yours is a racing boat and very ounce counts. I just think steel makes for a more professional appearance, while being significantly stronger.

If I understand correctly, the two tanks are interconnected by the blue hose. Then the fuel level should equalize naturally. Have you considered the guage readings might be just a calibration issue? You said 19 and 21 are the readings? What % of full scale is that? Maybe it’s inconsequential.

I haven't converted the gauge unit to gallon. It could be 1/2 gallon per unit, given the full mark is 30 on each side and each tank has 150 gallon per the survey report.

It was 17 and 20 (portside). When the boat stabilized at slip, she was in a listing state, as I could tell from a bowl full of water in the galley. I have adjusted both sides to 18.5 for now

The engine and Genset take fuel from the starboard side. I don't have the control to select which tank to use, so with the equal valve closed, the boat should list to portside again.

Appreciate the idea. It's very appealing, something I would likely engage had I have the in depth knowledge and time.

There would be no significant difference in weight, unless yours is a racing boat and very ounce counts. I just think steel makes for a more professional appearance, while being significantly stronger.

Fuel Tanks not Level

Hi... This is perfectly Normal. Don,t swear it! Do what every one else does........Cut off a 1/2" off your shoe one the low side, then U will be Level with the boat!!!!!!!.....Ken (Mainship390)

The term topsides refers to the hull from the waterline up to the deck level. Even if you can't see the tanks you will know where they are. Look on the hull near the tanks at a level higher than the tops of the tanks. You're probably looking for a fitting similar to these.

Unrelated to the original post but if you find the waste tank has the type of vent fitting with a screen in it, get rid of the screen or better yet replace it with a plain through hull fitting. The screens serve two purposes, a spark arrester for a fuel tank or to keep bugs out of the water tank. We don't care about either in a waste tank. Overfilling the tank and pushing waste up the vent line is guaranteed to clog a screened vent fitting.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom