Fire Extinguishers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OA486AGC

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
the Dude
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 486 Classicco Pilothouse
Looking to replace fire extinguishers on our 1995 48' OA. Anyone know of any good deals out there? Any preferred brands etc? Slow Sunday so here I am writing about extinguishers :rofl:.

The CG has new regs on fire extinguishers. Check the date codes carefully on any new one.

I always try to replace the Kidde extinguishers every two years. They seem to cake up if not checked every few months. There are not all that expensive and when you need them then your worried about the cost.

The newer extinguishers have an anti caking additive and should not cake. I used to shake them to prevent caking but they now say not to do that.

Western Fire Extinguisher is just down the street from me. They are not the best deal but everything is serviceable by them. This way I don’t need to worry about my extinguishers.

Using Seafire system here. No know deals as this time.

Regarding the new USCG 12-year expiry for gas bottles, it seems that reg does not apply to us rec boats, just for inspected vessels. If the pressure is up, you are apparently good to go. I have not taken mine to the fire service company yet for the six-year inspection cycle since mine went over the 12-year old mark. Maybe I'll call them to get their take on it.

Using Seafire system here. No know deals as this time. Regarding the new USCG 12-year expiry for gas bottles, it seems that reg does not apply to us rec boats, just for inspected vessels. If the pressure is up, you are apparently good to go. I have not taken mine to the fire service company yet for the six-year inspection cycle since mine went over the 12-year old mark. Maybe I'll call them to get their take on it.

I have two Seafire Stinger systems aboard my boat. I had them installed in 2013. It would be great if you can share what you learn when you call them. Mine just hit the 10 year mark, but pressure still showing fine on the gauges. The bottles cannot be topped up/refilled, as I understand it.

Looking to replace fire extinguishers on our 1995 48' OA. Anyone know of any good deals out there? Any preferred brands etc? Slow Sunday so here I am writing about extinguishers :rofl:.

Lowes (and probably Home Depot) have good prices on USCG approved dry chemical extinguishers and separately sell the mounting brackets. Taken together, they are still much cheaper than the same type at any marine store.

Ken

The newer extinguishers have an anti caking additive and should not cake. I used to shake them to prevent caking but they now say not to do that.

Back in the day when checking them on USCGAux safety checks, we'd turn them upside down. If you couldn't feel the powder fall the the other end they were caked. A smack on the bottom with a rubber mallet freed them up.

Using Seafire system here. No know deals as this time.

Regarding the new USCG 12-year expiry for gas bottles, it seems that reg does not apply to us rec boats, just for inspected vessels. If the pressure is up, you are apparently good to go. I have not taken mine to the fire service company yet for the six-year inspection cycle since mine went over the 12-year old mark. Maybe I'll call them to get their take on it.
My understanding is non-refillable / disposable extinguishers now have a 12 year expiration (from mfg date) even for recreational boats. Whether they have to be the new rating system or old depends on year of mfg of the vessel.
An excerpt:
"Q12. When should I replace my disposable (non-rechargeable) marine fire extinguisher?

A12.* Disposable (non-rechargeable) dry chemical fire extinguishers, must be removed 12 years after their date of manufacture. These extinguishers generally have their year of manufacturing stamped on the bottom or have its year marked next to its UL label."

The full regs...

https://uscgboating.org/recreational-boaters/fire-extinguisher-faq.php

A12.* Disposable (non-rechargeable) dry chemical fire extinguishers, must be removed 12 years after their date of manufacture. These extinguishers generally have their year of manufacturing stamped on the bottom or have its year marked next to its UL label."

The full regs...

https://uscgboating.org/recreational-boaters/fire-extinguisher-faq.php

But a key(?) difference here is that the SeaFires are not powder. They are "gas". Does the same 12 year rule (and I guess it's a US rule) apply to gas systems?

No different requirements for refillable extinguishers.
They need to be removed and weighed (I believe) periodically. Not positive on the interval for removalb& inspection but think you should be able to find it in the regs... maybe even the FAQ link I posted.

Back in the day when checking them on USCGAux safety checks, we'd turn them upside down. If you couldn't feel the powder fall the the other end they were caked. A smack on the bottom with a rubber mallet freed them up.

Yes, I have done that for many years but the last word before we retired from the Auxiliary was it was no longer needed.

DON’T buy the small extinguishers. Go up a size and get the ‘holders’ for marine use.
Per the life of the ER extinguisher, I have been told, if you get it inspected every year, you will be fine.

DON’T buy the small extinguishers. Go up a size and get the ‘holders’ for marine use.
Per the life of the ER extinguisher, I have been told, if you get it inspected every year, you will be fine.

The fixed bottles are supposed to be inspected each year by a professional extinguisher company but at 12 years, if memory serves me, they are supposed to be hydro tested. Not everyone, almost no one, does the inspections…

The fixed bottles are supposed to be inspected each year by a professional extinguisher company but at 12 years, if memory serves me, they are supposed to be hydro tested. Not everyone, almost no one, does the inspections…
Dave & Dan...
If I am correct I believe those reqmts were in the NFPA code referenced by USCG Fed Regulations. I also believe (recall reading) that the USCG Regs have dropped the NFPA reference for at least some of the fire extinguisher reqmts for recreational boats.
I find very little info re: fixed system inspection requirements and don't believe that USCG Aux or USPS Vessel Safety Checks include any verification of fixed system inspections. Only reqmt is the green ready light indicates system is functional.

Can either of you cite a USCG Reg that includes the inspection of fixed systems for re reational boats? I'm not trying to be difficult just trying to better understand as I have a fixed system and do USPS Vessel Safety Checks... any training material I have avoids the issue and makes no mention of periodic inspection

Dave & Dan...
If I am correct I believe those reqmts were in the NFPA code referenced by USCG Fed Regulations. I also believe (recall reading) that the USCG Regs have dropped the NFPA reference for at least some of the fire extinguisher reqmts for recreational boats.
I find very little info re: fixed system inspection requirements and don't believe that USCG Aux or USPS Vessel Safety Checks include any verification of fixed system inspections. Only reqmt is the green ready light indicates system is functional.

Can either of you cite a USCG Reg that includes the inspection of fixed systems for re reational boats? I'm not trying to be difficult just trying to better understand as I have a fixed system and do USPS Vessel Safety Checks... any training material I have avoids the issue and makes no mention of periodic inspection

I read that installed halon or similar fixed systems have to follow the following. Which is basically whatever inspection procedures the manufacturer deems necessary and included in the operators manual.

33 cfr 175.315 Fixed fire extinguishing systems.

(a) A fixed fire extinguishing system must be of a type approved by the Coast Guard under 46 CFR part 162

46 cfr......

§ 162.161-5 Instruction manual for design, installation, operation, and maintenance.

(a) The manufacturer must prepare a system instruction manual for design, installation, operation, and maintenance of the system. The manual must be reviewed and accepted by an independent laboratory listed in 46 CFR 162.161–10 and approved by the Coast Guard under 46 CFR 159.005–13

§ 162.161-9 Procedure for approval.

(a) Preapproval review is required as detailed in 46 CFR 159.005–5 and 159.005–7.

(b) Applications for approval must be submitted in accordance with 46 CFR 159.005–9 through 159.005–12 to the Commandant (CG–5214). In addition to the listed requirements:

(1) Evidence must be shown that an acceptable follow-up factory inspection program is in place in each factory location. This could be demonstrated by providing an original copy of the contract for a follow-up program between the manufacturer and the independent laboratory. The follow-up program must include provisions that prohibit changes to the approved equipment without review and approval by the independent laboratory.

(2) Two design, installation, operation and maintenance manuals must be submitted

I carry the required extinguisher equipment for my boat, BUT, when I looked under the "hood" of my swing-open helm console and though about a short-circuit and resulting fire under there, I had a "Whoa there, Bill" moment thinking about the damage a powder extinguishing agent would do. It isn't USCG certified, and it wasn't cheap, but I now have a small gas extinguisher right there at the console.

I carry the required extinguisher equipment for my boat, BUT, when I looked under the "hood" of my swing-open helm console and though about a short-circuit and resulting fire under there, I had a "Whoa there, Bill" moment thinking about the damage a powder extinguishing agent would do. It isn't USCG certified, and it wasn't cheap, but I now have a small gas extinguisher right there at the console.

Good idea. The ABC powder is the safe "works on anything" option, but for an area that's fairly closed in, any of the clean agent extinguishers can work well on an electrical fire. For a fuel fire, foam or Purple K can be better options than ABC powder. The problem is, you have to have a good idea of what's burning before you grab the extinguisher for some types.

I'm a huge fan of element extinguishers and unfortunately have had to use them. Weather safe, small, and durable; but expensive:

https://elementfire.com/

They are made in Italy and certified in the EU for marine use by RINA

fire_element.jpg

Last edited:
Are the Element certified for marine use in the US?

Last edited:

The guy that re-certifies mine is based out of a garage in Tacoma, he has tons of used/recertified units for sale. PM me if you want his contact details.
~A

I read the article and there was no mention of the Element nor “Element-like” extinguisher. I carry 4 ABC extinguishers and a fixed system in the ER plus a fire blanket.
I am thinking of getting a Element to add to the ‘tools’

Amazon
Man you guys can drift[emoji23]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom