Buffing topside gelcoat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rgano

Guru
Vessel Name
FROLIC
Vessel Make
Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
I know I could do this myself, but 1) I am lazy, 2) I don't want to buy the equipment and supplies to do it, and 3) I can afford it, I think. :)

I have been looking off and on for about a month for somebody to come and do what I think will be a light buffing job of the slightly oxidized off white gelcoat from the rub rail up. The hull is painted Awlcraft, and I do the Awlwash and Awlcare job on it once or twice a year myself - I am not a total slug.

I had no joy with any call backs from the messages I have left with the few professional fiberglass repair and maintenance outfits I found on the internet until I got a good suggestion from somebody. The idea was to call around to the various boat storage locations here and ask them whose services they use to care for the many boats people have no time to care for themselves. That seems to have worked well as the first place I called sent me a photo of three business cards placed in descending order of the degree to which the services could care for fiberglass - major repair to thorough cleaning. I chose the middle card, and the fellow who lives not very far from me is coming by tomorrow to check it out.

Looking at the myriad choices of compounds available has left me thinking that it would be better to have a pro help make the decision. Although I watched a guy use 3M Finesse when he finished up a patch job on my hull, I am not sure if it would have too much or too little cutting action for this job. Thus the pro.

I think you are on the right track. Ask some questions but listen to and rely on the pro.
You will basically pay for # steps and boat length.
Final "wax" or more likely polymer is one.
"Polish" using mild cutting compound or swirl remover is two.
If you need more aggressive compound for heavy oxidation removal thats three.

I had a good husband & wife team start a boat detailing business and they did mine 2 years. Thought I had a long term service... then Covid hit and they had 2 new grandkids and they folded the business. I'm back in the hunt at least for next spring.

My plan is to have the buffing only followed by my application of Permanon which I have used before.

You might want to look into having the hull “ wrapped”. I saw a 30 boat done today for $100 a foot. Looks like new. Really impressed. A good compounding and waxing is going to coast half that or more and needs to be done every year. The wrap is good for 5 years or more.

No wax will be applied to this boat. The hull is in excellent shape with no need for anything drastic like a wrap. Awlcraft paint is not supposed to be waxed. The Awlcare is their easily applied polymer which does a fine job. As for the gelcoat on the topside, I don't think we are talking anything like a 100 bucks a foot, but we'll see when the guy shows up to estimate it. If it is anything like that, I will do it myself. Boat is under cover, and minimal care should keep it in good shape for a lot of years.

I don't know how old your gel coat is but it's very likely that wet sanding first will save a lot of work and produce a better job. 1200 paper, soak in water a while, keep wet with a spray bottle of water with a drop or two of dish soap. It isn't hard work. It may seem a lot slower than a machine and a spinning pad, but I find it isn't.

The estimate for a wash followed by a light buffing of the entire topsides is $540.

Back
Top Bottom